PDA

View Full Version : Quite possibly the best website of all time!

TomSteber
December 6th, 2009, 09:50
Maybe I'm way behind around here, but I just found out about this website yesterday while flying a short hop to Oshkosh and back (including 1 touch and go) from Green Bay with a GREAT CFI.
He kept telling me about this site called "WIX". He said everybody was on it. Told him I'd check it out when I got home.

WARNING: NEW ADDICTION ABOUT TO BEGIN!

The site is Warbird Information Exchange. Huge site. Unbelievable amount of info, pics, you name it. You do have to register to post, but you can look at everything without.

Check it out, but you've been forwarned!

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/

tigisfat
December 6th, 2009, 09:56
:salute:I like SO myself...

edit: that smily is saluting with the wrong hand!!

Cloud9Gal
December 6th, 2009, 10:01
Oh great! Thanks for sharing the link Tom! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Happy/happy-thumb-up-044.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

TARPSBird
December 6th, 2009, 10:10
Now there's a viper's den of airplane geeks if ever I saw one! :d
Just jokin', hell I've been one my whole life. Thanks for the link Tom, looks like a good place to browse and contribute.

n4gix
December 6th, 2009, 10:38

edit: that smily is saluting with the wrong hand!!

That's called the "off-hand salute..." :wiggle:

brad kaste
December 6th, 2009, 10:45
Tom,...just got my registered. It looks terrific. I'm sure there will be hours of stooging at the WIX sight. Jus' what I need...:isadizzy:

TomSteber
December 6th, 2009, 10:57

Me too, but it's nice to see what the guys that can do it for real have going on.

cheezyflier
December 6th, 2009, 11:17
copy clipped this from their site, good stuff:

You might be a Redneck Pilot If:

1. Your stall warning honker plays DIXIE.

2. Your cross-country flight plan uses flea markets as checkpoints.

3. You think sectionals should show trailer parks.

4. You've ever used moonshine as a substitute for 100LL.

5. Your Cherokee's wheel pants have mud flaps with a chrome silhouette of a reclining nude girl.

6. Your toothpick keeps poking your hand mic.

7. You've ever taxied around the airport just drinking beer.

8. You wouldn't be caught dead in a Grumman Yankee!

9. You use an old grain sack as a windsock.

10. You constantly confuse "Beechcraft" with "Beechnut."

11. You've never flown a nose-wheel airplane.

12. You refer to formation flying as "We got us a convoy."

13. Your matched set of lightweight flying luggage is 3 grocery bags from Wal-Mart.

14. You have a gun rack in the rear window of your plane.

15. You have duct tape holding your engine cowling on.

16. You figure external mud and manure in your weight and balance calculations.

17. You siphon gas from your tractor to go flying.

18. You've ever taxied to the far end of the runway just to get the newspaper so you could wrap the day's catch.

19. You've ever ground looped to avoid hitting a cow or a wild boar.

20. You consider anything over 500 AGL as High Altitude Flying.

21. There are parts on your aircraft labeled "John Deere."

22. You don't own a current sectional, but have all the Texaco road maps for your area.

23. There's a brown streak down each side of your airplane; exhaust on the right side and tobacco juice on the left.

24. You have to buzz the strip to chase off the livestock before landing.

25. You use an old parachute for a portable hanger.

26. You've ever landed on Main Street for a cup of coffee.

27. The tread pattern, if any, on all three of your tires is different.

28. You have a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the Magnetic Compass.

29. You put straw in the baggage compartment so your dogs don't get cold.

30. You've got matching bumper stickers on each side of the vertical stabilizer.

31. There are grass stains on the tips of your propeller.

32. Somewhere on your plane, there's a bumper sticker that reads "I'd rather be fishing."

33. You navigate with your ADF tuned to only AM country stations.

34. You think an "ultra-light" is a new sissy beer from Rolling Rock.

35. Just before the crash, everybody on the UNICOM heard you say, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

Snuffy
December 6th, 2009, 14:41
Great find ... thanks for sharing! :jump:

Wittpilot
December 6th, 2009, 18:16
Tom...If you look closely over the last couple of months, just about any news story Bomber or myself link to goes back to that website... Yeah, a lot of information, but that website will eat you alive... All they want to do is argue & fight with each other... Someone is getting banned or flamed everyday over there... Makes you realize how nice our own little slice of cyberspace is... but yeah, I'm there pretty much every day... just a lurker...
-witt

OBIO
December 7th, 2009, 02:15
I did a little lurking on that site earlier today...and found an article about the retirement of the UH-1 Huey in October. 53 years of service from that amazing helo...by far my favorite helo of all time. Time to fire up the sim, jump in my Huey and go for a spin.

OBIO

TomSteber
December 7th, 2009, 03:11
Tom...If you look closely over the last couple of months, just about any news story Bomber or myself link to goes back to that website... Yeah, a lot of information, but that website will eat you alive... All they want to do is argue & fight with each other... Someone is getting banned or flamed everyday over there... Makes you realize how nice our own little slice of cyberspace is... but yeah, I'm there pretty much every day... just a lurker...
-witt

Yeah, I thought of you right away when I went to that sight. Not for arguing or anything, but just figured that with you actually working on warbirds you must go there.

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time there yet but did go through the one page for all the current registered Corsairs out there.
Very cool to see what happened to them or where they are.
Even all the ones used on "Black Sheep Squadron".
I'm sure I could be there for days uninterrupted if I let myself!

Wittpilot
December 17th, 2009, 16:40
Tom,
Another website that you or others might take a gander through is...
www.aerovintage.com (http://www.aerovintage.com)

It is privately run and the guy really knows his stuff. I even emailed him personally to autograph a copy of his book for my dad. It is mostly for the B-17 & B-25 buff... But it is an incredible website...
-witt