PDA

View Full Version : Something fishy about this bomber base...

IanP
December 6th, 2009, 07:24
Well, I was asked for RAF Grimsby, given more detailed drawings than I'm used to, so decided to set about trying to make it - only to discover that I was sadly lacking almost all of the buildings I needed to do so.

So what I have now is a strange hodgepodge of default, Ted Andrews and my own very poorly modelled structures. It's not finished (for instance what are meant to be 500lb bombs in the storage areas have no textures because I've not worked out cylindrical texture mapping yet) but if anyone wants to look around, point out errors and generally complain, feel free.

Otherwise, please feel equally free not to bother and have another :guinness: instead. (The badly textured church is mine... I've not done a pub yet. It's on the list, but for now you'll have to supply your own beer, sorry.)

Link: http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/raf/grimsby/IJP_EGZF_v0_4.zip

Have fun, all comments, rude or otherwise, will be appreciated.

Nick C
December 6th, 2009, 07:30
We're still not allowed to mention pink ladders...right?

IanP
December 6th, 2009, 07:39
Nobody else will have a clue what you're talking about, as that library is not in the download.

However. I'm working on them! I'm working on them! :salute::engel016:

Nick C
December 6th, 2009, 07:41
Oops, does that mean I've broken an NDA? :engel016:

IanP
December 6th, 2009, 07:50
Just in case anyone is wondering what this slightly odd exchange is about, Bill (Lionheart) very generously made me two AEC Matador trucks - a gun tractor/GP variant and the six wheeled tanker variant. Some of these are scattered around Grimsby, but you'd need the library to see them.

Unfortunately, as they're still very shiny, which I have not yet worked out how to tone down, and they were not textured (my texturing, as anyone looking at this will see, absolutely sucks), I haven't included the object library for them.

Hopefully. Some time. When I work out what the blithering heck I'm doing.

Snuffy
December 6th, 2009, 15:07
I started a Grimsby for Lewis in FS9 ... never did get it finished. :banghead:

IanP
December 7th, 2009, 01:35
Well if the lack of interest this one has generated is anything to go by, I'm wondering if I could be bothered to finish the FSX version.

I've been sent some advice on cylindrical texturing, which I hope to try this evening, but will probably just send the results to Lewis and Nick... Along with a new tanker texture that doesn't have a pink ladder. :P

Snuffy
December 7th, 2009, 03:08
Go ahead and post it Ian ... I need a home for the new Lanc that came out. :) It looks strange on some USAAF bases.

Lewis-A2A
December 7th, 2009, 05:28
Indeed, I would have thought people might be interested what with the lancaster esp since the Lanc comes with paints that operated from the base :monkies:

Tako_Kichi
December 7th, 2009, 05:45
Unfortunately, as they're still very shiny, which I have not yet worked out how to tone down, and they were not textured (my texturing, as anyone looking at this will see, absolutely sucks), I haven't included the object library for them.

Hopefully. Some time. When I work out what the blithering heck I'm doing.
When we hook up on IM next Ian I can tell you how to tone down the shine. ;)

Nick C
December 7th, 2009, 08:41
Go ahead and post it Ian .

It's in Ian's first post Ted. ;)

IanP
December 7th, 2009, 12:04
The bombs. They have texture.

Not particularly good texture and I don't entirely understand why gmax mapped the cylinder the way it did, but I'm not going to play around with it any more at the moment as I see little point in doing so.

P.S. The trucks still have too much shine, even with every slider I can find turned down and every tick box I can find ticked or unticked as necessary... I give up on that for the moment.