PDA

View Full Version : Beech Duke

Mongo
December 5th, 2009, 20:12
I enjoy flying the RealAir Beech Duke alot. The level of detail in the vc is amazing, and the exterior model is just as good. One thing I've noticed since day one is that it seems to take a "mile" of runway to get up in the air. Am I doing something wrong or is it truly just this way?

Marlin
December 5th, 2009, 20:20
Well shoot if you love it THAT much, you should post some pics of it.

Kiwikat
December 5th, 2009, 20:21
It is known for taking up quite a bit of runway. I don't usually lift off until 90 or 95 knots, that's with a notch of flaps.

Mongo
December 5th, 2009, 20:28
Kiwikat - I'm not getting airbourne much before 110 KIAS with flap. ?maybe a joystick problem
Marlin - promise to post pics in near future...:ernae:

Kiwikat
December 5th, 2009, 20:49
Kiwikat - I'm not getting airbourne much before 110 KIAS with flap. ?maybe a joystick problem

You have to use quite a bit of elevator trim. By that I mean like 15 or 20 on the indicator.

Mongo
December 5th, 2009, 20:50
Thanks for the tip - I'll give that a try.

ryanbatc
December 6th, 2009, 06:09
Hmmmm, I can get it off pretty quick, flaps one notch, trim set to 15. Actually the flaps part is my own, I think it's not recommended by the POH. I rotate around 95kias. Climbout 500fpm until I get to 120, then I retract the flaps and gear.

bstolle
December 6th, 2009, 06:31
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 305226" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>>Climbout 500fpm until I get to 120, then I retract the flaps and gear. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>If you retract the gear as soon as you have a positive rate of climb you will
a) accelerate much faster to 120
b) be in a MUCH better situation if one engine quits

Regards

Bernt

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ryanbatc
December 6th, 2009, 06:52
I'm not a RW BE60 pilot, but this is how I do it in FSX. By the way, it takes about 1-2 seconds to get to 120, because by the time I'm airborne, I'm already at 100 kts. Plus, why would you retract gear right away? I depart from long runways (hometown rwy is over 10,000ft long). If you have an engine failure it would be better to land straight ahead. But if your gear is up then you have to put it back down, etc etc

bstolle
December 6th, 2009, 06:59
>I depart from long runways (hometown rwy is over 10,000ft long)

Ok, but if that's the case I don't understand why you use (not approved) flaps???

Regards

Bernt

cheezyflier
December 6th, 2009, 07:26
I don't understand why you use (not approved) flaps???

because slices of lunchmeat have proven ineffective in clinical testing :icon_lol:

ryanbatc
December 6th, 2009, 07:35
something like that...

Maybe because it's flight sim, and I can do whatever I want :kilroy:

bstolle
December 6th, 2009, 07:38
Of course, just wondering due to your PPL signature

ryanbatc
December 6th, 2009, 08:12
The plane I checked out in was a P28A Warrior. I don't have any complex endorsements or my instrument rating. So I don't know the rules of landing gear etc. I don't know when you decide to continue a takeoff with gear up, and when you decide to abort with wheels down

bstolle
December 6th, 2009, 08:39
>I don't have any complex endorsements or my instrument rating. So I don't know the rules of landing gear

That's exactly the reason why I wrote my first reply.
To give you, a real world pilot, real world operational tipps :)
You try to reduce drag as much as possible as fast as possible.
Using no flaps (if permitted or recommended) reduces drag even more.

Mongo
December 6th, 2009, 12:22
You have to use quite a bit of elevator trim. By that I mean like 15 or 20 on the indicator.

That's solved it - Thanks Kiwikat!

Warrant
December 6th, 2009, 13:42
Excellent bird, and a joy to fly.
Only wish there were more repaints (both military and civil).

Mongo
December 7th, 2009, 21:05
I agree with you warrant - it would be great to find more repaints (especially Canadian regs... not that I am at all biased that way :icon_lol:)

Kiwikat
December 7th, 2009, 21:19
That's solved it - Thanks Kiwikat!

Good to hear! She's really one of the best GA planes available right now. Even better with the RXP GNS430 or 530 installed. :jump:

normb
December 8th, 2009, 14:17
Beechcraft recommends 15 degree flaps for short field takeoffs in a Duke.

See:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1969/1969%20-%200847.html

BTW: There is an outfit now replacing the recips with PT6's. Makes a good looking plane look even better.

OBIO
December 8th, 2009, 14:41
BTW: There is an outfit now replacing the recips with PT6's. Makes a good looking plane look even better.

How can the replacement of real aircraft engines with over-amped hair driers make a plane look better?

OBIO