PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Windows Update!

Quicksand
December 5th, 2009, 11:39
Oh, man! I'm running Vista 64bit on a HP Laptop. I've got Nvidia graphics running a GeForce 9600M GT. I rather stupidly installed SP 2 for Vista without ensuring that my graphics driver remained the same, as I tried a driver update not long ago that went badly.. The updated driver caused horizontal streaks to run across my screen... Very annoying. That time I was able to go to the control panel and roll back the driver to the one I had previously, and all was well. This time, same streaks, and no option to roll the driver back. The option is not there at all. Any help at solving this without going to see the computer doctor would be appreciated... If I do a system restore to a point before I installed SP2, will the driver revert back to the previous one?

hey_moe
December 5th, 2009, 17:13
Have you download a video driver cleaner and run it in safe mode to remove the driver and then reinstalled it...Mike

Quicksand
December 5th, 2009, 17:17
Not yet, Mike, but I've never messed with drivers much.. Never done anything like that before...

stansdds
December 6th, 2009, 07:25
You really need to run DriverCleaner Pro to insure complete removal of your old video driver before installing a new driver. Just using the Windows remove software utility usually results in a partial removal of the driver. Installing a new one with bits of the old one remaining usually results in some pretty bad graphics problems.