PDA

View Full Version : Multi Monitors - More than 2

gigabyte
December 4th, 2009, 23:35
The wife thinks I am nuts, - OK I will give her that one without a fight I am nuts get over it already...

So here is the question, I have an Nvida card with Dual HDMI outputs, and have a 25.5" and a 19" monitor connected - works great, my question is, what if any performance hit will I see if I connect another 19" to the built in video controller using the old Dsub connector? I am not sure if I can even manage a third monitor properly but something like FRAPS may do that, I am just curious if anyone has used both the built in Video card and a seperate card at the same time with FSX, and if it had any negitive effect?

harleyman
December 5th, 2009, 03:12
OK...Not ignoring you...Just don't have an answer for you...

I say give it a shot if you already have the equipment..Can't hurt a thing...

You mean that the third monitor will be on your Onboard Graphics??/If so that will suck CPU power greatly from FSX for sure....

gigabyte
December 5th, 2009, 04:08
Thanks HM, I suspect the same thing, I am just not sure how bad it will affect performance, but I guess there is no way to know until I try.

I do have the equipment so the only reason I have not tried it already is I have to move so much stuff to get it set-up. My other big question is how to manage it, will it work as an extension of the desktop like the first two or will it simply display yhe exact same image as the main 25", which again I will not know until I try it. I will get started later today and see, what I would like is to have my flight on the main screen, some expanded panels on the left 19" and charts on the right, it would be a cool set-up. I might also just mount it on a movable monitor arm and connect it to one of the laptops and run maps and charts on a seperate laptop connected to that monitor only, that would serve the same purpose and have no affect on the performance.

smilo
December 5th, 2009, 04:50
okay, this doesn't really answer your question but,
a couple years ago at the AvSim conference in Bellevue, Washington,
a guy had maybe 5 monitors set up.
each one was providing a view so that there was the forward, the forward 45*s and the sides.
maybe even the aft 45*s, I can't remember.
he did it using multi matching vid cards.
it was very cool, indeed.

I am currently using three monitors.
two are for one machine
one for another.
the only problem I have is keeping track which keyboard and mouse to use,
but we won't get into that here.

I like the idea of having one machine for charts and maps.
I've done that one my self.
it really keeps the clutter out of the way.
plus, they are always there for quick reference.

HighGround22
December 5th, 2009, 14:14
. . . I am currently using three monitors.
two are for one machine
one for another. . .

I like the idea of having one machine for charts and maps.
I've done that one my self.
it really keeps the clutter out of the way.
plus, they are always there for quick reference. Yessir (fwiw), I've done exactly the same, and had the same excellent results.

The process can *sound* complicated, but as you'd likely agree, it's fairly simple, straightforward and not too expensive at all.

For me, flight-Simming changed for the better when I went to the two-machines / three monitors setup.