PDA

View Full Version : Now this is a Project

JoeW
December 4th, 2009, 12:51
<style></style> My cousen is a retired Miss. Air guard pilot. He sent this to me. :applause:

Subject: Convair B-36J Peacemaker Restoration....

So you think you have completed large restoration projects before...huh. Start at the bottom and scroll up.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td valign="top">
http://www.pimaair.org/project.php?rid=1 (http://www.pimaair.org/project.php?rid=1)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Naki
December 4th, 2009, 13:38
wow...imagine making it a flyer

Chacha
December 4th, 2009, 14:04
Wow.... Great job restoring aircraft.... Awesome..... Awesome... Awesome...... :salute:

Bjoern
December 4th, 2009, 14:26
Cool!

OBIO
December 4th, 2009, 15:41
Sure makes painting a plane in Photoshop seem like child's play in comparison.

OBIO

Lionheart
December 4th, 2009, 17:04
Goodness.. Thats a ton of work there.

Great location for parts if they need them..

Bill

brad kaste
December 4th, 2009, 17:10
It's well worth the trip to Dayton Ohio and visit the USAF Museum to check out this baby. The size is humbling. I can only imagine what it sounded and felt like when a fleet of these 'Peacemakers' flew overheard.

thedude247
December 4th, 2009, 17:12
WILL SHE EVER FLY???????????????:kilroy:

brad kaste
December 4th, 2009, 17:23
Dude,....I kinda' doubt it. It would run into the millions to get it flyable. If you want a good study of it,....take out the movie 'Strategic Air Command' starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allison. (1955)

Brian
December 4th, 2009, 17:59
WILL SHE EVER FLY???????????????:kilroy:

That's what I was wondering...

paiken
December 4th, 2009, 18:37
I actually saw this bird when I visited the PASM last year. Unfortunately, it was a rainy day, and of course they wouldn't let us into the restoration yard. At the time it was in big sections. Looks like I'll have to hop down there real soon to take some photos.

exc141ac
December 5th, 2009, 05:13
"Honey, I'll be back in a while --
going to do some painting."

and that was the last we heard from him for over . . . .

Terry
December 5th, 2009, 06:18
If it were to be fully restored, can you imagine what it would cost per hour to fly it? :isadizzy:

JoeW
December 5th, 2009, 06:51
In the article they say that they only have one engine. The other props are held in place with a bracket.

Bomber_12th
December 5th, 2009, 08:53
It was great to watch this aircraft get refurbished. The Pima museum is a static museum only - and in recent years it has been nice to see the museum bring inside some of its collection which has stood the outside elements for many years. They get by in most part due to volunteer effort, and do as much as they can with very limited resources - the restoration of their P-51 is quite evident of this, where the majority of the cockpit, gun bays, etc., is imitation instead of reproduction/restoration as in an operating aircraft.

Not only would the Air Force not allow a B-36 to be flying, the EPA would probably have the biggest fit of their lives. :d

Not withstanding the enormous cost to operate it, which would even trump the millions invested in that UK-based Vulcan which has flown at various air shows over the past two years.

n4gix
December 5th, 2009, 09:42
Dude,....I kinda' doubt it. It would run into the millions to get it flyable. If you want a good study of it,....take out the movie 'Strategic Air Command' starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allison. (1955)

Here is the engine start and takeoff sequence from that movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGjyH2ulsCk

Here is a clip illustrating the 15 second interval takeoff scramble:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6Hpxyrhyo&feature=related

waco
December 5th, 2009, 12:37
WOW! It's not the first plane I worked on after getting out of tech school, but it's the first bomber. I remember a story that circulated then around the base. It seems a flight crew were practicing low level under the radar flying and using a rail road line for navigation when they buzzed a work crew on the line out in the middle of nowhere. Can you imagine what them poor souls thought and felt when they heard and saw that huge plane bearing down on them. :monkies: