PDA

View Full Version : Cfs2 coastlines strategy

Jean Bomber
December 4th, 2009, 12:32
I've moved it from the cfs2 forum post "PTO coastlines strategy" from the thread "Pen32Win Airfields"
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=26904
here is a better place to speak about

Hi all

before to post all I spoke about in this thread I've tried it ,thinking also to increase the surface of my products.
Yesterday I've started a new project to see if all I thought will work.
I've dwld the srtm_42_06 Geotiff that cover the Egypt from Alexandria ,el alamein ,Quatarra ,to the Lybia fronter .(a 5*x 5* sized map)
I've made ,with the srtm geotiff bmp and all the maps I've found ,a (heavy 214Mo) psp doc where I've placed all these pics as any layer that allow to edit diverse bmps for G2k .
I've began to draw on it and That's work fine even if the project seem huge in a first time that give to have on a unique large project set in g2k instead of three i've had for Afnor part I ,that could give for this big zone ,by the old method I use'(1*x1*) ,a dozen of g2k project ,plus the subproject .....and connect the roads etc....
I thing for large scale even for a hand made this way seems better .
On this new "coastlines done zone " it will be possible later to insert some more hightly detailled sceneries at diverse scale using the exclude bgls to place them or correct and modified the old existing.
That it's finally also a question of Level of detail we want for these places depending of their size.
for example the 42_06TIFF_G2K.bmp ,6001x7091 (no square pic),that I've used give a LOD in g2k ,also in cfs2:
horiz 1 pixel=76m
vertcl 1 pixel=78,4m this Lod is good for coaslines road rivers lakes anf for work on the land-water classes values
and for example a hightly detailled scenery like the Rock in g2k have a LOD of 1 pix = env 3,50m

note:
you can also get a new colored 600x600 bmp or jpg and do some other things with the Geotiff with the 3dem program downloadable from this site in the bottom of the page of this link :
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html#3dem

here some pics of the diverse background bmps edited with psp and used in g2k and some zoom to show how all that's working drawing in g2k and the results in cfs2 :) ,flight of some patrols to correct the mesh/coastlines issues,the result are globaly good for a first launch ,1/4 of the coastlines are already done today.

JP