PDA

View Full Version : OT England to play US in World Cup

sandar
December 4th, 2009, 11:20
I see England will play the USA in their first game of next year's Football World Cup on June 12.

I never make predictions about sporting fixtures, but in this instance I will make one. I predict I will be in the dog house as that day is my wife's birthday and she gets to watch a game of football on the TV. :blind::birthday2

Wittpilot
December 4th, 2009, 15:19
Wow... going to be a huge day for me... Those are the only two teams that I would care to see in the final.....Geez.... Guess either way I'll be happy with the outcome of that game.... I will have to check out our draw for next year... In 2006 we had a horrible group to play out of...

-witt

Wittpilot
December 4th, 2009, 15:25
Woohooo It's a Saturday!

Reddog
December 5th, 2009, 05:40
I didn't think the UK played football our way????

6297J
December 5th, 2009, 06:46
I didn't think the UK played football our way????

I wonder how America would do if there was an American Football World Cup?

sandar
December 5th, 2009, 06:51
We play football with our feet, that's why it's called football. We play rugby with our hands and feet, it's called rugby because the game was invented at Rugby school. Only America plays football with hands, no idea why.

sandar
December 5th, 2009, 06:53
I wonder how America would do if there was an American Football World Cup?

Same as the world series I suppose. A world series with only two countries???

6297J
December 5th, 2009, 07:12
Same as the world series I suppose. A world series with only two countries???

Who's the other one?

Naismith
December 5th, 2009, 11:37
Methinks we are getting our sports confused here. The World Series is baseball.

Wittpilot
December 5th, 2009, 12:19
I think Sandar was saying that tongue in cheek... Meaning that yeah they call it a "World Series" here in the states regarding pro baseball, but it only encompasses two countries, U.S. & Canada....

And I think if there were an American Football World Cup, most of our spoiled athletes probably wouldn't even partake, and the ones who did would be destroyed by the rugby folk to migrated sports!

6297J
December 5th, 2009, 12:34
I think Sandar was saying that tongue in cheek... Meaning that yeah they call it a "World Series" here in the states regarding pro baseball, but it only encompasses two countries, U.S. & Canada....

And I think if there were an American Football World Cup, most of our spoiled athletes probably wouldn't even partake, and the ones who did would be destroyed by the rugby folk to migrated sports!

I honestly had no idea Canadian teams were involved in the World Series - I thought it was just the two leagues (Correction - I've just looked it up - one Canadian team!). I'd like to see Baseball as an Olympic sport - I wonder who would win that!

sandar
December 5th, 2009, 13:06

Spot on Witt, very definatley tongue in cheek (possibly extracting the wee wee a bit).

I watched a cracking exhibition game of rugby union this afternoon from Twickenham, London. Nothing rested on the game other than to entertain. It was the Barbarians agaist the All Blacks (New Zealand, so called because they play in an all black kit and they are awesome). The Barbarians are selected from all nations and solely for their flair, they included Aussies, South Africans, Fijians, Brits, Italians and even a New Zealander. It finished 25-18 in favour of the Barbarians, their first win over the All Blacks for a long time.

If you have a couple of hours to spare, watch it here,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p8fx8/Rugby_Union_2009_2010_Barbarians_v_New_Zealand/

Lionheart
December 5th, 2009, 13:11
Those poor Britonians...

They'll never know what hit them..

Hopefully it will be quick and painless instead of agonizing and excruciating....

:guinness:

:d

6297J
December 5th, 2009, 13:13
I watched a cracking exhibition game of rugby union this afternoon from Twickenham, London. Nothing rested on the game other than to entertain. It was the Barbarians agaist the All Blacks (New Zealand, so called because they play in an all black kit and they are awesome). The Barbarians are selected from all nations and solely for their flair, they included Aussies, South Africans, Fijians, Brits, Italians and even a New Zealander. It finished 25-18 in favour of the Barbarians, their first win over the All Blacks for a long time.

Good wasn't it. Not an Englishman in sight, unfortunately. Habana was excellent though.

Mobayrasta
December 5th, 2009, 13:52
Spot on Witt, very definatley tongue in cheek (possibly extracting the wee wee a bit).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p8fx8/Rugby_Union_2009_2010_Barbarians_v_New_Zealand/

BBC iPlayer wont work out of the UK too bad, would love to be able to watch it!

sandar
December 5th, 2009, 14:43
Sorry about iplayer not working outside UK, forgot about that. Very short highlights on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZLmvdBR8-g

rayrey10
December 5th, 2009, 14:55
... I'd like to see Baseball as an Olympic sport - I wonder who would win that!

Baseball was an Olympic sport at the 1992 Olympics, it had previously been played as an exhibition sport. It was voted out of 2012 Olympics. The usual suspects dominated: Cuba, USA, Japan and Korea. I think even the Aussie even won a medal. Now they have the World Baseball Classic in which 12 countries play. The Japanese have won both of the tournaments.

Bjoern
December 5th, 2009, 17:50
Only America plays football with hands, no idea why.

Because "handegg" sounds too weird. :d

Those poor Britonians...

They'll never know what hit them..

Hopefully it will be quick and painless instead of agonizing and excruciating....

:d

You do realize that England is quite good at football...I mean, everytime we play against them it's like a small world war...:icon_lol:

cajj1
December 6th, 2009, 01:27
You do realize that England is quite good at football...I mean, everytime we play against them it's like a small world war...:icon_lol:

As Gary Lineker famously said "Football is a game of two halves and then the Germans beat you on penalties". which, looking at the draw for next summer, could happen to England yet again...

Kiwikat
December 6th, 2009, 01:39
How about the Green Bay Packers vs. England at Lambeau Field?

That would be interesting... :mixedsmi: :running:

Soccer bores me to death and beyond... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Bjoern
December 6th, 2009, 03:47
As Gary Lineker famously said "Football is a game of two halves and then the Germans beat you on penalties". which, looking at the draw for next summer, could happen to England yet again...

Well, this time you're not gonna stop us on our way to world domination the Cup. :engel016:

Soccer bores me to death and beyond... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

Funny, same for me and American Football and Baseball. How can that be?
Hm...I guess it's that bloody ol' pond that's twisting things up! :icon_lol:

Cazzie
December 6th, 2009, 04:22
The baseball World Series name should be changed. Every two years now there is a World Baseball Classic, played in the late Winter/early Spring in warm climates. This really features baseball on a world level and the US is not number one.The Asians usually are, South Korea and Japan. If the Dutch ever learn how to hit a baseball, they will dominate; they are producing some of the best pitchers in the world right now. The Ozzies are catching up too.

Baseball is a leisure sport for spectators, it is not meant to be intense like true football or American football for that matter. Baseball has it all, generally played in warm weather suitable for beer and babes in scant clothing. It is perfect for TV, they cannot interrupt the game as readily as American football and basketball, you play a half inning and then you have time to get a beer or pee before the next half inning. Like I said, it's a leisurely game. It doesn't take a very fit athlete to play baseball, but it requires excellent hand - eye coordination and like my old coach said, either you got it or you not got it.

I played European football in college years ago when it was not as popular in the US. I tried as a walk on for the college football team as a place kicker, lost to a Limey soccer player. Soccer coach saw me and ask if I would like to play soccer, the rest is history.

I just love sports, get out there and get your game on, I don't care what your game is. I'm 63, still ride bikes, kick football and soccer ball, help coach baseball (so I can still catch and hit a little, wife says no to me playing in the old timer's league). I also work with the local high school cross-country running team. Exercise is good people, sports are exercise, go play or help teach a kid to play. Busy hands are happy hands.

Caz

kilo delta
December 6th, 2009, 04:43
Only America plays football with hands, no idea why.

France too...;)

Thierry Henry ...grrr :monkies:

:icon_lol:

Wittpilot
December 6th, 2009, 07:07
Like Cazzie said, Baseball is a VERY leisurely sport... I think it would have been neat to see it back in it's hey day like in the 30's to the 50's... That would have been incredible... It's also a sport that doesn't translate well on tv. I cannot watch baseball on tv, but I've seen it in person, ( FYI, last pro baseball game I was at was Tom Browning's Perfect Game in the late 80's!!!) and it's much more entertaining in person... But for me soccer is a game of constant edge of your seat watching... I even put a hole in my wall 4 years ago when we only tied Italy and the game had 3 red cards!

One bad thing about the World Baseball Classic is that America will never do well.. A lot of our stubborn baseball players are just too worried about getting hurt to play in it. Soccer, however, seems like it is a huge honor to play for your country..... I know many US players feel the same... Donovan..... Look at Beckham, one of the most well-known athletes in the world, but he holds the highest respect for playing for England...

-witt

stiz
December 6th, 2009, 07:26
professional football players = punch of pansies, give me rugby any day! :monkies:

Bjoern
December 6th, 2009, 07:39
France too...;)

Ah well, as long as he didn't pull a "Hand of god"...:d

kilo delta
December 6th, 2009, 08:41
Ain't karma a b!tch......I remember the Irish "celebrating" this...

DbbsytHDp2o

cajj1
December 6th, 2009, 09:09
Apparently Thierry Henry is now favourite to be voted Gaelic Footballer of the year :icon_lol::icon_lol:

(For the Americans Gaelic football is a game played by the Irish with hands & feet but without the body armour :mixedsmi:)

@Bjoern - this is especially for you :icon29::icon29:

4BNkO9l318o

sandar
December 6th, 2009, 09:21
France too...;)

I was going to mention that, but didn't think too many would understand the jibe, especially the big place on t'other side of pond

kilo delta
December 6th, 2009, 09:33
(For the Americans Gaelic football is a game played by the Irish with hands & feet but without the body armour :mixedsmi:)

And they don't get paid for it neither......moreso for the honour of representing your county.

I was going to mention that, but didn't think too many would understand the jibe, especially the big place on t'other side of pond

The big place on t'other side of the pond is home to more Irish than Ireland itself! :icon_lol: :ireland:

Bjoern
December 6th, 2009, 10:54
@Bjoern - this is especially for you :icon29::icon29:

4BNkO9l318o

Who fared better in the last World Cup? :engel016:

P.S: When there was a poll around for naming new Wembley's stadium bridge, the suggestion "Dietmar Hamann Bridge" got a fair share of votes...I wonder why? :engel016:

P.P.S: I like the english team though. Other than those southern hemisphere sissies who go all douchebag once they were fouled, the Brits fall down and immediately get up again (any maybe get their revanche). That's the spirit and nothing short of cool, lads! :ernae:

cajj1
December 6th, 2009, 11:12
Who fared better in the last World Cup? :engel016:

Home advantage! :running:

P.S: When there was a poll around for naming new Wembley's stadium bridge, the suggestion "Dietmar Hamann Bridge" got a fair share of votes...I wonder why? :engel016:

I've no complaints there:applause:, Didi's a former Liverpool player who played a big part in the 2005 Champions League win.

southern hemisphere sissies who go all douchebag once they were fouled

Plenty of them in the Premier League - Didier Drogba for one.

Best of luck to England & Germany (and the USA) next summer and may the best team win - preferably not on penalties.

Snuffy
December 6th, 2009, 15:02
1776 all over again ... :bump:

Bjoern
December 7th, 2009, 13:26
Home advantage! :running:

I say if the South African's can't get it done, do it here again. It was one huge party and pretty awesome!

I've no complaints there:applause:, Didi's a former Liverpool player who played a big part in the 2005 Champions League win.

Also he scored the last goal in the old Wembley stadium - for Germany...against England. Hehehehe...:icon_lol:

Plenty of them in the Premier League - Didier Drogba for one.

Cristiano "Douchebag" Ronaldo was my number one.

Naki
December 7th, 2009, 15:16
..we (NZ) are off to the World Cup for the first time since 1982..can't see us winning anything though...maybe an upset? Itlay, Slovenia and Paraguay are in our pool.

Rugby is the No1 game here by far and the Rugby World Cup is in NZ in 2011...maybe this time for the All Blacks.

Glad somebody says the All Blacks are awesome..if they put a foot wrong the public here are down on them like a ton of bricks and doesnt help that we havent won the World Rugby Cup since 1987 even though we are more often than not the No1 team in the world. The recent big win against France kept the punters happy but we haven't beaten South Africa in 3 games this year. The All Blacks side against the Barbarians was almost a All Black "B" side so we can forgive them for losing that...anyway I digress ...this thread is about the Soccer (am I allowed to call it that?) not Rugby.