PDA

View Full Version : This really ticks me off

Hiede
December 3rd, 2009, 16:05
A veteran (90 years old ) of 3 wars and also received the Medal Of Honor during World War 2 is not allowed to have a flagpole on his property.Thankfully he is getting support now.He lives in Virginia.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/FLAG031_20091202-234201/309270/

Hiede

OBIO
December 3rd, 2009, 16:25
HOA (Home Owners' Association) be damned....fly that flag high and proud I would and the more they bitched about it, the bigger the pole would get and the bigger the flag would get. Let those who worry about the weeds in their yard think about the men and women who fought and died to give them the freedom to have a freaking yard in the first place.

OBIO

PeteHam
December 3rd, 2009, 16:33
These people should be honoured to have this veteran living in their neighbourhood.

:medals:

Pete.

Chacha
December 3rd, 2009, 16:40
Agree.... with OBIO and Pete! :applause:

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 16:54
Yep, complete BS!
I have been looking at getting a house the last few years, but it scares me to think that I might have to deal with a bunch of self imposed neighborhood dictators that will try to tell me what my home should look like or what I can park there.
I understand the concept, of keeping appearances up and making sure lawns get mowed and such, but it seems to be taken way to far lately.

Mick
December 3rd, 2009, 17:08
Well, I'm with those who support this guy!

But here's something to consider in this sort of case. If the homeowners association has any grounds to sue, or even threaten to sue, that can only mean that each person who buys property in that development has to sign an agreement to comply with the association's standards, and in fact those standards are generally written into each deed. So nobody is surprised when something they do is found to be in violation - they knew exactly what they were getting into when they signed on the dotted line.

Now most of us probably wouldn't buy into a development that was so tightly controlled that we couldn't put a flagpole in our yard. But if we did, we should stick to the agreement we made.

I do think they should make an exception for this guy - under the circumstances, it seems like the reasonable thing to do. I think a MOH winner is entitled to a bit of special consideration! But I'll bet dollars to donuts that when he bought that home he knew full well that he was agreeing not to put up a flagpole. And you know that if they do make an exception for him, there will promptly be a flood of demands from other residents to get exemptions for their own pet violations.

Brian
December 3rd, 2009, 17:22
I agree with you, he should be able to keep his flag pole. It should be against the law to NOT have one. ;)

MaddogK
December 3rd, 2009, 18:33
Being a vet doesn't get him special treatment. According to an account I read, the HOA refused his request to erect the pole, and he put it up anyway against the rules, and against the denied special request. Word is that the pole isn't even on his property, but 'common' property belonging to the entire community.

This is what happens when you move into a managed complex, you're neighbors get to tell you what kinda lights you can put in your icebox, or how long your grass can be. I appreciate this guys service, but if he don't like the rules he agreed to when he moved in, he can pack his bags and hit the road.

Snuffy
December 3rd, 2009, 18:41

That's what I think!

cheezyflier
December 3rd, 2009, 20:06
i don't think those rules should apply to the flag of our nation, no matter who wants to fly it. in AMERICA there should never be anyone who can tell you not to fly our country's flag.

mrogers
December 4th, 2009, 00:21
All this over a flagpole? What BS. I support the vet, I cant believe the narrowmindness and ignorance of these people.

harleyman
December 4th, 2009, 01:32
This is not the first story about this I have seen and heard of..

Its total BS....

BUT..He signed the aggrement...So its legal to stop him ...BUT

Come on folks..Its America...Bend a rule and allow him that.. After all..He fought to give you the right to be able to have a stupid rule like that in the first place...

MaddogK
December 4th, 2009, 09:36
Thankfully, in America polling numbers mean exactly SQUAT ! The rule of law wins here.

Thanks for playing.

Snuffy
December 4th, 2009, 09:40
Yes, I know its a poll, and yes, I know its from FOXNews ... but it is fun and interesting at the same time.
(check the numbers)

Should an American Hero Be Allowed to Fly Old Glory?
By You Decide
- FOXNews.com

Col. Van Barfoot, 90, of Richmond, Va., earned a Medal of Honor fighting Nazis in Italy, then served his country again in Korea and Vietnam.

Now, he’s battling his neighborhood homeowner association for the right to fly the American flag from a pole planted on his own property. If you had to decide this case, who wins?

Thank you for voting.

Col. Van Barfoot - Come on, homeowners, he's more than earned the right to fly the American flag, especially on his own property. 97% (89,388 votes)

The Homeowners Assoc. – Sorry, colonel, but rules are rules, and in a democracy the majority rules. 3% (2,727 votes)

Undecided <1% (355 votes)

Total Votes: 92,470

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/12/03/american-hero-allowed-fly-old-glory/

GT182
December 4th, 2009, 12:31
Sorry, but "Free" has become a figure of speech only these days. I'm for Col. Van Barfoot, fly the Flag.... proudly. :salute:

Reminds me of this song from 1970................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9v2D_S2F2c&feature=related

Lewis-A2A
December 4th, 2009, 12:38
I agree with others who state about the fact that he mor ethan likely knew so its a bit naughty on his part, and that these strnage things you have over int he US about closed of community's with weird rules etc is a bit, well weird IMO but, yes its not the fact that hes just a MOH owner but also the way he got it.

Someone on another board mentioned about it being on wiki. Google his name and go to the wiki site, the guy single handed took out 3 MG nests, faced 3 tigers with one bazooka and took one out inc crew, took 17 prisoners and then under fire helped take wounded from his unit back over 1000yards to safty. ...Not bad for a days work really! :medals::ernae:

Brian
December 4th, 2009, 12:52
Being a vet doesn't get him special treatment. According to an account I read, the HOA refused his request to erect the pole, and he put it up anyway against the rules, and against the denied special request. Word is that the pole isn't even on his property, but 'common' property belonging to the entire community.

This is what happens when you move into a managed complex, you're neighbors get to tell you what kinda lights you can put in your icebox, or how long your grass can be. I appreciate this guys service, but if he don't like the rules he agreed to when he moved in, he can pack his bags and hit the road.

Yep, there's always the "other side" of the story, they (the news media) always slant the story to fit their agenda or political beliefs.
I agree with you Maddogk here, because I can think of other situations that this same thinking would apply.
I would NOT want to live in a place like this, I hate places that make additional rules, we already have so many laws to observe.

Brian.

Allen
December 8th, 2009, 22:12
HOA Caves!http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579773,00.html

Dain Arns
December 8th, 2009, 22:35
Ridiculous from the get go. I laughed at one HOA member who commented the flagpole was HUGE! I have the same exact one as he does. It barely goes past the roof on a single level dwelling. And we've never had any complaints from the neighbors.

Last poll I saw was at 96% in favor of the Colonel keeping his flagpole, 3% Rules is rules, and 1% undecided. There was over-whelming support across the country.

But everyone got a win in this case. It's okay to enforce rules, and occasionally make those rare exceptions. But above all, it's okay to be a patriot and fly your country's flag.

This one's mine: :USA-flag:

jmig
December 9th, 2009, 03:22
He WON!

:ernae:

safn1949
December 9th, 2009, 07:03
Hooray! :USA-flag:

MaddogK
December 9th, 2009, 12:46
COOL !!
:salute:
It's good to have friends in Washington.