PDA

View Full Version : MS Bing Revamped

jimjones
December 3rd, 2009, 04:05
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34242962/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

Yesterday an improved Bing was introduced. Improved bird's eye views in some areas. Excellent Streetside views in selected areas of some cities.

The above article mentions laser scans of buildings to construct 3D maps of cities. Did not see any examples of this. Perhaps not yet available or not looking in places where it exists.

Great source for scenery builders. Sure can spend a lot of time looking at places.

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 05:16
Yep, great news and about time, but Google street view is still far superior. I just want better resolution in more places

jimjones
December 3rd, 2009, 05:26
Yep, great news and about time, but Google street view is still far superior. I just want better resolution in more places

Hmmmm. Interesting. I've looked at google streetview and thought it was very low res. The MS streetside I looked at had higher res. I need to look at google again to see how we have different opinions. MS does not have nearly the coverage as google, yet.

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 05:37
Sorry, I meant better resolution in sat data in more places for airport background and references.. As for street view, I also meant that since MS are just starting this in a few select cities, there is still more available thru google. I agree it's a good thing, variety is the key so bring it on.

jimjones
December 3rd, 2009, 06:37
I've gone back to review some of google's and bing's street stuff in DC. Hard to say which is best. However I had earlier viewed some hangars at SDF while google cam was moving and it was very blurry. Guess things will continue to improve, which as you say is "a good thing".