PDA

View Full Version : X3 on Mac computers

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 23:23
Hey all,

For those of you that have Mac computers (ChaCha), I wanted to start this thread.

Note that some joysticks will not work in Mac OSX. My Saitek X52 does not.

I presently have loaded up X3 Reunion, and have the 3 Mac updates loaded. I have my graphics settings all maxed out except Shaders, which is on Med or Low, (one notch under High). I cannot believe how smooth it runs in Mac OSX!!!!!!!!!! Its utterly glass... Smooth as silk. Liquid!!!

This proves my point on my thoughts on Mac OSX and using sophisticated games with a graphics engine like OpenGL.

I cant believe how smooth it is....

Makes me think. What if FSX were converted to OpenGL and Mac.. Would it run like this? Utterly smooth?

X3TC in Windows can really stutter alot..

I have to remember, this is the new 64 bit Mac OSX SL. That might have something to do with it.

EDIT: I had my shaders lowered a notch because for some reason, the ships were bright colors. Lowering it caused everything to go to normal.

Bill

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 23:26
Also.. I was just playing around and was in a fighter squadron, looking for Kha-ahk, and the voice chatter between pilots reminded me of back in my test driver days, lololol.. We had CB radios and it was hilarious, some of our conversations and wise cracks..

Bill

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 23:31
My Logitech Force 3D joystick works with Mac... works with Windows too..:engel016:

The Extreme does not work with Mac though

I do not have a problem with it.... runs real smooth... I just have to know how the keys work! :bump:

Thanks Lionheart!

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 23:38
Hey ChaCha,

Most welcome.

Note that on the top F keys, like F1 thru F4, etc, just use the small 'fn' key 'with' your F keys on top to get them to work. 'fn' is a Apple adapter similiar to Laptops to allow the F keys to be used for programs. The 'fn' key is near the Home and End buttons cluster on your Mac keyboard.

Bill

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 23:41
I almost forgot.. I came back to say something on the Mac version.

I dont think we can do Scripts and cheats with it in Mac. I cannot find a folder (so far) that would have all the X3 folders in it. It looks like all components of the game are in the APP file itself.. Scary. I wonder how updates are carried out? Perhaps an App file is similar to a CAB file. IF that is the case, it 'might' be possilble to disect and update the App file. I doubt it would be that terribly easy though, lolol..

Bill

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 23:45
So I thought... :bump:

I was wondering about what have been talked about ... I thought maybe I have not discovered it yet!?

Anyway, I DL it on my PC... so I won't be booted out if my little competitor kicks me out of my Mac...

(I rather have her use the Mac because I know it is more protected...)

GT182
December 3rd, 2009, 10:41
Bill, I wonder if Mac 64bit is like Windows 64bit. Windows 64 bit will not allow some games/sims to play and some controlers not to work. I've always run the 32 bit version of XP so I only know of a couple of simulations that won't work with 64bit.... Silent Hunter 3 and 4(IIRC).

Lionheart
December 3rd, 2009, 13:18
Bill, I wonder if Mac 64bit is like Windows 64bit. Windows 64 bit will not allow some games/sims to play and some controlers not to work. I've always run the 32 bit version of XP so I only know of a couple of simulations that won't work with 64bit.... Silent Hunter 3 and 4(IIRC).

This might be so Gary.

Bill

GT182
December 3rd, 2009, 13:42
Bill, do you have a 32bit version of Mac, on another computer, to try and see if you X52 works ok? I think that's the only way you'll find out, unless someone else is running a 32bit version using the same joystick setup.

Lionheart
December 3rd, 2009, 14:40
Hey Gary,

Negative. Not presently.

I have a couple of backup joysticks out in the garage. I can get one of those. I still have my trusty old beatup, squeaky Saitek X47.. (47? cant remember, lol).

Bill

Chacha
December 3rd, 2009, 16:44
My Logitech Force 3D Pro works on Mac and PC

The Extreme will not work on Mac... but works on PC alone... I wonder... maybe just on mine.... or maybe my Extreme is extremely messed up... :bump:

Thanks on the fn shortcut keys...