PDA

View Full Version : AVAST! going BERSERK!!!

hubbabubba
December 2nd, 2009, 21:39
Watch out guys!

My Avast program went nuts over a supposed Trojan called Win32:Delf-MZG.

After panicking a bit - and erasing two programs before thinking - I made a quick Google search and found out that it was probably a false positive.:blind:

If you have Avast, I suggest that, unlike me, you wait a bit before panicking.

I'm waiting to re-install these two progs while Avast forum is piling-up with infuriated users' comments. Jury is still deliberating on this one but, quite frankly, I think I've been had... in retrospect!

LAST MINUTE INFOS: As I was writing this thread, Avast updated itself. Just for fun, I scanned an installer file that was reporting 9 occurrences of the Trojan. Now; ZERO...:kilroy:

So make sure Avast is updated, its too late for me, but hopefully not for you!

magruder
December 2nd, 2009, 22:05
YPU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE,My Computer melted down,TWICE.CLARENCE.

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 22:12
My laptop just got attacked by the trojans... good the CompUSA dude saved it... I am now cleaning my desktop, and found a lot of the same virus...

It said it was an update, but it was not .... (I don't know if this is the same thing you are talking about... my avast was not updated at that time I think...)

Now, I am putting my AVAST to work and found them... I have them on the chest so I can torture them for a bit and kill them... :173go1:

hubbabubba
December 2nd, 2009, 23:28
Avast first update, signaling the trojan, was WRONG!

The third update, sent in the middle of the night here (East Coast), corrected the situation.

Someone at Avast HQ goofed big time!

P.S.- The two programs I flushed hastily are already back in place and working smoothly.

Dangerousdave26
December 3rd, 2009, 02:51
They have problems

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51647

Just simply stop avast before it eats all your programs.

JimC1702
December 3rd, 2009, 02:58
Yep, it got me with that one too. The file is part of a PC Utility program I use. Fortunately I didn't delete it, just moved it to the chest, so I should be able to just move it back.

Jim

Dangerousdave26
December 3rd, 2009, 03:10
Seems they fixed the problem

Go to the Avast On access scanner

Right Click and select Program Settings

On the left hand side of the settings choose Update basic

Under virus database select update now

That should fix the problem with it going bonkers.

Now you will need to recover your programs.

rpjkw
December 3rd, 2009, 07:43
I got the warning yesterday because of Rambooster 2.0. I went ahead and deleted, updated Avast, then re-installed. No problems now. I'm much happier with false alarms than missing the real problems.

Bob

JimC1702
December 3rd, 2009, 15:05
Whew, the one file that Avast! tagged this morning was the only one effected. My computer had downloaded the fixed virus definitions so I had no further issues. When I got home today I restored the one file from the Chest and I'm back in business.

I feel bad for the people who had their entire systems trashed.

Jim