PDA

View Full Version : Special Effects question; engine exhaust

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 10:37
Hey all,

I am doing a jet. I am creating an effect. I have it dialed in the way I want it. Its so barely visible, that you can hardly see it, but its exactly the way it should look, (barely visible shimmering in a fast colum coming out of the exhaust).

What I would like to know is if there is a way to adjust the effect to be 'effected' by engine RPM?

For instance, if the turbine is at idle, the plume is slow. If at full throttle, the plume is very fast.

I went through the FS2004 Effects SDK and didnt see anything for this except Drag which is the element of the 'area' (wind speed, etc) that effects the colum of effect. My thoughts are that this is the only way, or else create several other levels of speed in other effects and have a gauge manage them per the throttle input.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill
LHC

Shylock
December 2nd, 2009, 11:13
I'm a little rusty at this but maybe you might have to create a gauge for the effect and write up a XML. I know that when you take this route you can assign the effect to trigger at what ever point you assign it to so you might be able to assign it to throttle commands. I will dive into the FSX SDK to see if I can dig anything up.

Also have you tried posting this question over at http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/index.php If those guys cant help then its pretty much impossible to do what your looking for. Those guys are real good over there.

VCN-1
December 2nd, 2009, 11:29
You can make several fx files with different particle velocities. The do an xml gauge that shows the different effects base on aircraft velocity, if this is what you mean.
The gauge is not complicated. There is a CH-53 variable smoke gauge at AVSIM that can give you some ideas.

You can tie the exhaust to display only when a certain RPM is reached also.

VCN-1

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 13:14
Thanks guys,

Thats what I thought. I didnt see a engine assignment link for anything, let alone for RPM.

I'll give that a try on the engine XML controller for it that will turn it on and off.

Should be easy enough..

Thanks again,

Bill

VCN-1
December 2nd, 2009, 13:34
Bill

I have a friend who did an exhaust feature and flap vortices for your Kodiak. Maybe I can get him to send what he did to you.

That is if you want them.

VCN-1

sparouty
December 2nd, 2009, 13:54
Hi everybody,
I did something like that for my Dassault Etendard : red flame effect for low rpm range and blue one for higher rpm .
I choose to use attached points and visibility conditions with custom modeldef.xml codes that test the rpm percent value.
(I'm modeling with the FSX SP2 SDK)
I hope it helps?!
Regards,
Sylvain

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 14:04
Bill

I have a friend who did an exhaust feature and flap vortices for your Kodiak. Maybe I can get him to send what he did to you.

That is if you want them.

VCN-1

Hey VCN-1,

Dang! Flap vortices! I didnt think of those.. Do you have a screenshot of them?

Bill

VCN-1
December 2nd, 2009, 15:50
Here is a shot when the exhaust trails and flap vorticies details were being worked on. The flap vortex only shows up in full flap and at least 55 knots while the exhaust will show up at 25 knots or can be set to RPM.

There are 2 separate gauges but they can be combined to one gauge. They guy that did them just didn't do that.

VCN-1