PDA

View Full Version : Mac OSX; Did you know's....

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 01:49
Hey all,

This is for Mac owners, some little 'did you know's about your Mac OSX and computers.

SLEEPING AND THE HD

Did you know that you can set your Apple to sleep and the hard drive will shut down as well? Yep... The HD is shut down and sleeps when the system of sleeping. You must tick the 'Sleep HD when possible' in your Settings/Energy Saver section.

APPLE REMOTE CONTROL

Did you know.. If you have the little white remote control for your computer, that it can 'wake up' your computer remotely from sleep? Yes. Even with the system totally asleep, the remote will wake it up. With the remote, as you know, you can then access the Front Row program interface (similar to Windows Media Center mode) and from there you can turn on some nice music, any saved movies or TV shows you've downloaded, or Podcasts.

This is pretty cool if you have an Apple in your bedroom as you can turn it on and listen to some tunes if you are having problems sleeping. Just put the remote by your bedside and you never have to get up to watch things on your Mac. Incredible how you have so many options you can access remotely with that little unit with only the few buttons that it has..

The remotes are now optional and no longer come with Apples, but can be purchased seperately. They look like small iPod Nano. They have just released a new one that is silver in color. The previous model is white plastic, like the styling of two years ago.

FINDER WINDOWS MANAGEMENT

Did you know you can use shortcuts to turn on the Finder windows? Yep... Finder is basically like Windows Explorer. You can bring up a Finder Window by;
* Making sure you are in Finder mode, top left of screen, Finder will be showing
* Click Command N for 'New' and a new Search Window appears
* Click Command W to shut down the Window
* Click Command 1 thru Command 4 to change view modes of the Search Window or Finder (this includes that cool Album view mode where you flip through 'views' of folders, files, and pics in a 3D view mode).

WINDOWS SIMILARITIES IN SHORTCUTS

Did you know that alot of the shortcut keyboard commands in Windows is the same as Mac OSX and vice versa? Commonailities... Just switch 'Command Key' with 'Control key' and you are good to go. Not all shortcuts are the same, but alot are.

Some shortcuts that I use alot are 'Hide' which hides your emmediate, visible program windows, and Tabbing through programs. To hide a program, click Command H, which 'hides' your program out of site. If you have say 5 programs going and you want a clear desktop, to hide them all, just click Command-H H H H H.. Done.. To bring one back up, click Command Tab, and Tab through the list to the one you want back up and Voila... As long as you are holding down the Command key, when you TAB through, a menu pops up in the middle of the screen showing which programs are running, showing you which you can bring up to front.

QUICK SHUTDOWN

Did you know you have a 'quick shutdown' built into Mac OSX? Yep... You do not need to use the 'Click on the Apple, click Shut down, etc.. Just click on Control and Eject keys on your Mac keyboard, then click Enter. You must hold down Control and Eject at the same time, then release, then Enter. What this does is Eject the main HD drive and the computer shuts down. This is the shut down shortcut. I use it all the time. Very nice to use as you dont have to use the mouse and clickie clickie all thru menu's.

ONE CLICK SLEEP MODE ON POWER BUTTON

You can set your power button (on/off switch) to act as your sleeping button. Normally you would only use this button to either turn on your Mac or to over-ride the system and cause a shutdown (holding the button down for say 10 seconds, as like a regular Win PC). If you go to Settings/Energy Management, you can tick on the option to use the power button to put your Mac to sleep. Then click on your power button and your screen goes black. Done.. Now if you also ticked to have your HD sleep, then basically your Mac is in suspended animation and the HD will not wear out. This is one fantastic option, as then your Mac will turn on with lightning fast speed. Mind you, you will want to shut down your Mac once in a while to clear and clean its Ram and reset things to new.

Just some cool pointers I wanted to share with some of the new Mac owners and owners to be. I have only just learned some of these a few days ago. So much to learn about them.

Bill

harleyman
December 2nd, 2009, 02:02
Did you know that my computer will run circles aroung a sleeping MAC ? LOL :monkies:

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 02:17
lolol...

yeah..

But! It has to be sleeping..

:d

EDIT: I still want to load up Mac OSX on a regular PC to see how it would run..

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 02:17
Did you know that my computer will run circles aroung a sleeping MAC ? LOL :monkies:

I like that! :applause: LOLOLOLOL

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 02:32
Here is another 'did you know'...

CLEANING LINT OUT OF YOUR MIGHTY MOUSE

With the Mighty Mouse (the white alien looking mouse with the light gray ball bearing rubber thing for the mouse wheel), that when you have dust buildup, to clean your mouse button wheel, just take out a clean sheet of paper and disconnect your mouse and, holding it upside down, quickly run your mouse wheel over the paper in fast large circles. This will free up lint in your mouse and it should come out and be visible on the paper. Plug it back in and check it out..

Mind you, the new one that has the removed mouse button and has the intelligent full upper surface, will not need that treatment..

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 07:20
Here is another 'did you know'...

CLEANING LINT OUT OF YOUR MIGHTY MOUSE

With the Mighty Mouse (the white alien looking mouse with the light gray ball bearing rubber thing for the mouse wheel), that when you have dust buildup, to clean your mouse button wheel, just take out a clean sheet of paper and disconnect your mouse and, holding it upside down, quickly run your mouse wheel over the paper in fast large circles. This will free up lint in your mouse and it should come out and be visible on the paper. Plug it back in and check it out..

Mind you, the new one that has the removed mouse button and has the intelligent full upper surface, will not need that treatment..

Somehow my mouse (Mac) would not scroll up.... today, I as using the bar on the far right to scroll up...

I unplug the MM (Mighty Mouse) and rolled it upside down on a clean sheet of paper, I did not see the lint on the paper, maybe it was too tiny for my vision, but when I plugged the MM in, presto it worked perfect again...

Thanks, Lionheart! :applause:

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 09:30
Somehow my mouse (Mac) would not scroll up.... today, I as using the bar on the far right to scroll up...

I unplug the MM (Mighty Mouse) and rolled it upside down on a clean sheet of paper, I did not see the lint on the paper, maybe it was too tiny for my vision, but when I plugged the MM in, presto it worked perfect again...

Thanks, Lionheart! :applause:

Most welcome ChaCha..

I had that problem too and it does keep reoccurring. I had tried to take my mouse apart to clean it and couldnt. I almost broke it. Its made better then a chinese puzzle. So I got online to see if I could find a YouTube movie on how to take them apart to clean them and found that interesting bit of info.

You really have to race the thing around fast when cleaning it on paper or it will not free up the lint in there. Mine still has some stubborn lint in it. I hope I find out how to take these things apart. I do NOT want to buy another one just because of lint, lolol...

Bill

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2009, 09:38
Some more..

APPS AND COMPUTER FINDER WINDOWS SEPERATE POPUP SHORTCUTS

Did you know, you can bring up the Apps section and the Computer section of your Mac system via a shortcut?

Figure this... A is for Apps, and C is for Computer. The main shortcut 'key' key is the Command key. Thus, Command - A will bring up Apps, and Command - C will bring up the main computer screen. These are 'FINDER' windows. When you are in the window, you can select from the main 4 Finder views via Command 1 thru Command 4.

ACTIVATING A APP FROM IN FINDER VIEW

To activate a App in Finder view, have it highlighted and click Command - down arrow key.

ADDING APPS TO YOUR DESKTOP DOCK

You can add Apps to your dock super easy. Drag them down onto the dock from the Finder window and a copy of it (shortcut) will appear on the Dock.

TAKING APPS OFF OF YOUR DESKTOP DOCK

To remove a unwanted App from your Dock, just drag it up into the middle of your screen / desktop (not into another window mind you), and the icon will make a poof sound and disappear. Done...

Bill

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 15:23
Don't you just love that... poof and it disappears... gone... magic? :bump: