PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to Play Taps

Dangerousdave26
December 1st, 2009, 12:08
Seems I have been having a lot of failures here recently.

The current issue is my Monitor.

It is an old Dell Trinitron 19" Flat screen CRT Monitor.

When I first start it up it comes on and runs fine for about 20 seconds then starts blinking. It blinks 2 or three times then a real bright flash and off it goes.

I turn it off then back on and about 30 seconds same thing.

This happened about once or twice when it started a month ago now it happened 5 times in the time it took me to type this.

So its going to die.

Shame really its been a good monitor even if it is heavy as :censored:

So I am looking at this one on newegg.

Do our systems gurus know anything about this it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043

Its a Hanns-G 28 inch

MCDesigns
December 1st, 2009, 12:21
Never heard of that brand before. I would go with a 2 ms response time or less and a higher contrast rate and a more known brand. I have an LG 24 inch and I love it, no problems whatsoever.

harleyman
December 1st, 2009, 14:29
I have a Hanns G 19 inch in my shop and it runs fine...

Why not just have the backlight fixed in your old monitor????

Dangerousdave26
December 1st, 2009, 14:41
I have a Hanns G 19 inch in my shop and it runs fine...

Why not just have the backlight fixed in your old monitor????

Who fixes monitors?

harleyman
December 1st, 2009, 17:46
Ummmmmmmmmm...

I have a guy here that picks them up and fixes them for me...

He came to me.....Ask at your local computer shops, Radio Shack, etc...

You may have to do some hunting, but once found its nice info to know...

stansdds
December 2nd, 2009, 02:06
I've been using a Samsung 17 inch LCD for several years, it's been great and I'll never have another CRT monitor. The new LCD monitors have a great image, nice contrast and brightness, true flat screen, run cool, use far less energy take up much less space and weigh a fraction of the weight of a CRT.

harleyman
December 2nd, 2009, 02:45
Oh Heck Dangerous Dave..

I missed that it was a CRT...

I say junk that and go LCD..

Sorry for the confusion...A CRT is not worth fixing...

LouP
December 2nd, 2009, 15:14
Just wait ;). I have a Dell 19 in LCD that "broke" on me from a little thing called lemonade (it was only a few drops). Well it kind of started working again so I ket it plugged in and was using it as a second monitor for FSNav. One day I looked more closely and guess what, it wasn't broken anymore :wiggle:. I had replaced it with a Dell 27" monitor which was right about the time they first came out. While the 27" monitors have come down in price, I am still glad I purchased when I did as they seemed to get more cheesey as the price came down.

LouP :wavey:

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2009, 06:06
Sorry for the confusion...A CRT is not worth fixing...

...unless you're a fanatic Counterstrike and Quake player.

I have friends who would rather starve than give their CRT away. They say that in the mean world of online FPS, every milisecond of refreshing time counts. Bunch o' whackos. :icon_lol:

By the way: Choose a montor that plays nicely with your hardware. There's no point in getting a 30" LCD if your video card can't handle its native resolution.

dswo
December 5th, 2009, 02:14
Hanns-G has LOTS of good reviews on NewEgg. That being said, I just replaced one of their 19" LCDs; I think it was an internal switch that failed, but have no good way of finding out.

Anyway, I'm not saying, "Stay away from Hanns-G." We got good service out of that unit for four years (and I have certainly owned CRTs that didn't last that long).

What is starting to impress me are our two Dell LCDs. Maybe it's a coincidence, but these are the oldest working units in the house. I have a Samsung 24" that's two and a half years old, for which I paid around US$230. It still looks good, but the power switching has gotten flaky: it won't automatically turn itself off anymore when Windows shuts down. Not a huge deal -- I can press the little power button twice a day -- but in my unscientific survey of two, the Dells are holding up better.

On response time: I have played FS with 5ms monitors since 2003 and never noticed a problem. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter, but it hasn't mattered for me.

Dangerousdave26
December 31st, 2009, 06:11
Well the final dedision was a ASUS 24"

I changed my view on how to select the monitor to meeting these specs (all of them based for a future build)

2ms response time
Good contrast ratio
Full 1080p
As large as I could get
Customer provided reviews ***
Price less than $400 (easy to do)

When I did this there were only handfull to choose from. The two that stood out were an LG (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005126) and an ASUS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049).

The LG I am partical to because of my cat named LG and the fact I have a cell phone that is old and made by LG that just keeps on working.

Both of these monitors got great reviews but what put me over the edge was the Christmas day sale. The ASUS dropped by another $10 and shipping became free (the day before it was $20). So I ordered it and it will be here on the 5th of January.

I want to thank you all for throwing in your two cents I do appreciate it.

LouP you are very correct the proper action some times is to wait it out and the problems go away. However when the Wife says "well you need to buy a new one..."

We buy a new one :icon_lol:

I do plan on using the old monitor as a second monitor as it has not failed yet (still has the same problem and getting worse).

Bjoern good advise on the monitor playing nicely with hardware but I pretty much figure I failed in doing that. :icon_lol: This purchase is premature. I planned on doing this when I built my new system in the comming year but since I have had to push up this time table I purchased for what I would build later.

I will give you all the update next week when I get it installed and set up. :wavey:

Bjoern
December 31st, 2009, 07:13
I planned on doing this when I built my new system in the comming year but since I have had to push up this time table I purchased for what I would build later.

That's a wise decision.

Hopefully your current box is strong enough to adequately supply your new screen.