PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo ! DSL in two days....

Odie
December 1st, 2009, 10:21
Well, I guess we're entering the end-times, as DSL is finally available in our little corner of North IL ! :applause::icon_lol:

Now, I'm trying to contain my anticipation as I've been down this road before where they (vendors) will say it's available, ship the modem, and then cancel the order the day before going live saying that the neighborhood is wired wrong. So, until the switchover day, I'm not getting too excited as it hasn't panned out before. Still, they haven't canceled the order.

I chose the self-install method; which may turn out to be a chore as I have not done anything even remotely close to network stuff on my PCs, let alone, a WIRELESS network !

The instructions are straight-forward enough....but it scares me that I understand them ! It can't be that simple, can it ?

Well, we'll see how many hoops I need to jump through to get this up and running ! It'll be a relief to leave dial-up behind, although, it has served me well !

Mobayrasta
December 1st, 2009, 10:58
Odie, it really is that simple. You should have no problems at all. The best part, if you have a problem there are a ton of people here that could help you!

GT182
December 1st, 2009, 11:11
ODIE, you'll do fine. And congrats on getting anything other than dial-up. :applause:

Kiwikat
December 1st, 2009, 11:41
You will never EVER think about dial up again. Not once. :wavey:

TomSteber
December 1st, 2009, 11:53
You will never EVER think about dial up again. Not once. :wavey:
Except when we want to feel a shudder down our spine and then need a good laugh knowing that it's over!

rpjkw
December 1st, 2009, 12:17
Cable was available before DSL where I live, so I've had cable for six years. my nextdoor neighbor got DSL and asked me to help set it up. I was dreading it because of what I'd heard about DSL, but everything went quickly and smoothly. You'll have no problems getting everything up and running.

Congratulations on joining the broadband world.

Bob

demorier
December 1st, 2009, 14:41
Do a little reading on how to set up the wireless modem Odie (firewall settings etc). Quite a lot of people have found out the hard way that the next door neighbour is logged onto there modem quite by mistake because the security is not set up adequately. Unique problem with wireless modems.

Odie
December 2nd, 2009, 06:28
Thanks much for the encouragement, everyone!

I'm currently using TrendMicro's Internet Security package on all of my machines, so I'll need to make some adjustments there, demorier, for sure. My neighbor has a wireless network (I can pick it up on my cell) so we are close enough for bleed-over.

Don't be surprised if I pop back over with a question or two ! SOH is like a 2nd home !

Chacha
December 2nd, 2009, 07:46
Thanks much for the encouragement, everyone!

I'm currently using TrendMicro's Internet Security package on all of my machines, so I'll need to make some adjustments there, demorier, for sure. My neighbor has a wireless network (I can pick it up on my cell) so we are close enough for bleed-over.

Don't be surprised if I pop back over with a question or two ! SOH is like a 2nd home !

Congratulations on your upgrade!

I was with dial-up for a very long time, and when we were switched over to cable, I knew it was the day... I am using Road Runner with Brighthouse Network and I installed a wireless router by myself, I did not know it was that easy.... :ernae:

Cloud9Gal
December 2nd, 2009, 16:46
Odie!!! Yay!!! Wooohoooo! How exciting!! I'm happy for you!
http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Happy/happy-144.gif (http://freesmileyface.net/Free-Happy-Smileys.html)

Gone are the days of.....

gsNaR6FRuO0&feature=youtube_gdata

Kofschip
December 2nd, 2009, 17:23
Congratualations Odie.... I have had DSL now for about 10 years and I love it. But yesterday, my "friendly" ISP VERtical horIZON (aka Verizon) has notified me that as of 30 November 2009, they can cancel out my DSL service any time they want and replace it with FIOS at an additional cost..... Go figure. :a1451::redfire:

Cloud9Gal
December 2nd, 2009, 17:36
Congratualations Odie.... I have had DSL now for about 10 years and I love it. But yesterday, my "friendly" ISP VERtical horIZON (aka Verizon) has notified me that as of 30 November 2009, they can cancel out my DSL service any time they want and replace it with FIOS at an additional cost..... Go figure. :a1451::redfire:

And here I am, waiting PATIENTLY for Verizon to run FIOS in our area...http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/thinking-006.GIF (http://www.tradesbook.co.uk)

Kofschip
December 2nd, 2009, 18:14
I waited for FIOS for three years, gave up on it two years ago, a month ago they finally ran FIOS into our neighborhood and have been pounding on me since. No, I don't want FIOS anymore.:running:

Cloud9Gal
December 2nd, 2009, 18:16
I waited for FIOS for three years, gave up on it two years ago, a month ago they finally ran FIOS into our neighborhood and have been pounding on me since. No, I don't want FIOS anymore.:running:

Kofs~ I hear it's awesome though! I can't wait to be able to get it in our neighborhood!
Might want to give it a shot? :wiggle:

Kofschip
December 2nd, 2009, 18:29
Kofs~ I hear it's awesome though! I can't wait to be able to get it in our neighborhood!
Might want to give it a shot? :wiggle:

When I was still working, I had use for it, so I could keep up with the T1 line at work. But now I don't need it any longer, no matter how awesome it is.:bump:

Snuffy
December 2nd, 2009, 18:52
Likes my comcast broadband cable :mixedsmi:

Kofschip
December 2nd, 2009, 18:53
I may have to join you Snuffy.:running:

Snuffy
December 2nd, 2009, 18:55
I may have to join you Snuffy.:running:

Based on your earlier comment in another thread ... I don't want ya ... :bump:

Odie
December 3rd, 2009, 16:52
Just an update....I'm online with DSL !!! Finally ! It....is....grrrreeeeaaaattt! :jump:

I only had one little glitch and that was because I took the setup directions literally. But the DSL Help Desk cleared me up on that and also got my two Dell laptops configured to the wireless.

Appreciate the support, folks, it was as easy as you said it would be !

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 16:57
Congrats!! Make sure you get a good firewall now that you are not on dailup.

I keep hoping they get FIOS in my area as well, but still waiting.

Willy
December 3rd, 2009, 17:04
Okay, I'll bite....... What's FIOS? Is it supposed to be better than DSL?

I'm on broadband cable right now, but it's been so unreliable (goes out all too often), I'm thinking about going back to DSL.

Chacha
December 3rd, 2009, 18:08
Okay, I'll bite....... What's FIOS? Is it supposed to be better than DSL?

I'm on broadband cable right now, but it's been so unreliable (goes out all too often), I'm thinking about going back to DSL.

FIOS is a broadband by Verizon using state-of-the-art Fiber Optic to provide Internet, telephone and cable services..... with maximum connection speeds of up to 50 Mbps or 20 Mbps downstream and 20 Mbps or 5 Mbps upstream.... :applause:

NoNewMessages
December 3rd, 2009, 18:48
Boy, I'd be a happy camper if FIOS showed up in my neighborhood! :engel016:

DSL came slowly to the hood, maybe because we're all poor. Me thinks in about 10 year when every other spot in SoCal has FIOS Verizon will want to finish off the job. I'll still be here, I hope!

Snuffy
December 3rd, 2009, 18:50
congrats.