PDA

View Full Version : Last orders at the bar

michael davies
December 1st, 2009, 04:47
Gentlemen,

After much conjugation I have decided to officially retire from commercial FS work as of 1st Dec 09, its been a good ten + years and I've met and known many good friends, I've also met many I wish I'd never crossed paths with LOL, but thats life in general :). The decision wasn't easy but the reality is that my mind and interests now lie elsewhere and its foolish to continue trying to catch the last rays of a dying sun set, far better to sit back and capture the moment with a quiet satisfaction of a job generally well done.

I do have a couple of aircraft I would dearly like to make but the commercial head makes it an uncomfortable process right now, so its time to release all those strings and go with the heart, may be they will eventually see cyber FS, maybe not, but they wont be payware.

So to one and all :ernae: and please, those over the drive limit take a taxi home :). Y'all have fun now !.

Sincere regards

Michael.

Milton Shupe
December 1st, 2009, 05:04
Michael,

I know your skills will be missed on that side.

If you still have the desire to model, the freeware world brings loads of satisfaction and fun without all the stress.

Best to you in whatever direction you choose. :ernae: :medals:

calypsos
December 1st, 2009, 05:08
Hi Michael,

As Milton said, freeware is fun! The world of FS will miss your work and your very useful posts.

Still, (so they say) there is more to life than sitting behind a computer:ernae:

MCDesigns
December 1st, 2009, 05:43
Sorry to hear Michael, but I understand which is why I do lots outside of FS. Please keep in touch and let us know what you have going on and how you are doing.

Take care my friend and best to you and your family! :ernae:

Henry
December 1st, 2009, 05:49
Also sorry to hear that
but you must come first and go with your heart
please hang around here though:ernae:
H

VFR Reviews
December 1st, 2009, 05:54
Sorry to hear, Michael, but just remember how many people you made happy with your aircraft :wiggle:

Here's to happiness in all your pursuits! :ernae:

michael davies
December 1st, 2009, 06:26
Gents,

I will still wander around and offer advice where appropriate, though I wont let it be a mandate anymore regarding certain publishers products :).

Milton, not to single your comments out but I'd respectfully disagree, whilst still adept at source modeling, its the post compilation I am woefully behind with these days and have little interest to re learn it all again LOL, I am now an FS consumer.

The PC is a tool, not a mill stone and it is external leisures that take most of my time these days, I've been a long time rail enthusiast and gave up kits modeling to start virtual modeling, ten years down the road and technology and quality has moved on, so much so that I can now make real models of my virtual models, I have the exciting possibility now to take virtual 3D locomotives and have them etched in brass as a kit. Your in full control of the subject matter, quality and detail, to see something virtual transposed to touchable is mind blowing, best yet you get to build the model twice, once virtually and render-able, second as a working moving piece of machinery. See !, see how easy it is to digress ? :).

So I'll still keep my hand in with virtual models, just not planes or as many planes, strange as it may seem to many here, planes are not my first interest, nor second, I was always a rail enthusiast first then a modeler and virtual planes simply allowed the creative side to produce something tangible, those who model kits will understand.

I've retired on and off the last few years but the come backs get less and less effort until you suddenly realise theres no steam left in the old boiler LOL.

Kindest

Michael

centuryseries
December 1st, 2009, 10:47
Very sad to hear that Michael, your work has been inspirational. I know exactly what you're going through with regard to post compilation stuff, it's a struggle these days as the bar gets raised over and over. I'm sure with the current on the go projects for a 'payware' vendor my models will be slated as not being up to scratch.

But so long as I do my best, I'll be content.

You've helped me through a lot over the years with your guidance and level headed discussions and I am grateful for that.

Take care of yourself. :ernae: There's more important things in life :icon29:

Boomer
December 1st, 2009, 11:10
Cheers Michael,

I understand completely!

All the best,

Bob

nio
December 1st, 2009, 11:58
And so another highly esteemed member departs.

Thank you for all your knowledgeable contributions,Michael, which I have enjoyed reading.

I hope that boiler of yours willl still make some steam from time to time, enough for you to join us again.Until then.

Best wishes

nio

Mathias
December 1st, 2009, 12:17
Man Michael, that's the end of an era!
Wouldn't want to miss the few occasion that we both met in the virtual world in that last odd decade, was always refreshing in many ways to talk to you.
I don't want to let this sound like a obituary but that cut certainly deserves a special reflection.
All power to you and whatever hobby you choose to spend your past time in the coming years be it time well spend!
Cheers Mate, I drink on ya!:guinness::guinness::guinness:

DaveWG
December 1st, 2009, 12:46
Michael, all the best for whatever you decide to do, and many thanks for the many contibutions to FS over the years.

:ernae:

wilycoyote4
December 1st, 2009, 12:51
Well, Poly-Jedi, seeing as how you've invited all of us to the cantina in Mos Eisley and you are buying, I suppose we shall all get 40 winks aboard your ship as well. You are always welcome in my world whether you want to be or not. I wish you the best of everything as do the others. Looking forward to your visits on the forums.

The future is always foggy, when in view, and strange unexpected matters do appear from time to time. Like many others I wonder if MS TrainSim2 will be found in the future, or FS11, or something like them. We shall see, eh?

Now then, where did I put that electric train set, HO, diesel locomotive freight I recall, it's here in a box somewhere.

jmig
December 1st, 2009, 13:06
Thank You Michael for making our MSFS experiences better than they would have been without you. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.

I wish you well in the future.

N2056
December 1st, 2009, 15:01
Michael, your work (among others) has always been an inspiration to me in terms of what can be done with a model. I fully understand your motives (as loco as they might be) :icon_lol:

Don't be a stranger. I'd really like to see what you are working on regardless of what it is! :ernae:

Best Wishes,
Robert

warchild
December 1st, 2009, 15:38
michael;
You i wont miss, because i know your still going to visit us here. We're an addicting bunch of eclectic introverts if nothing else, and though we quibble and quabble we always seem to come out together in the end. it's a good community, and better for your part in it..
Your work however, i will miss, but i understand how life changes. i can only hope that in ten years i'll still be around, let alone making flight models ;chuckles: So, i want to say thankyou, for years of hard work, dedication and persistance. It will be missed..
Always
Pam Brooker

By the way, if you ever see an N-scale veranda gas turbine ( 3000 horsepower ) let me know ok??

Roger
December 1st, 2009, 16:25
It's the end of an era Mikoo, if I may call you that? So much of what I have downloaded over the years has had your name somewhere in the credits, it will seem strange knowing that you are no longer part of the Fs business.
Good luck with what you replace that Fs addiction with:applause:

Best regards,

Roger.

jdhaenens
December 1st, 2009, 16:47
Good luck Michael, we'll miss you. Thanks for all of your contributions to the community.

Best,

Jim

mike_cyul
December 1st, 2009, 17:26
Sorry to hear this, but life is too short to do things you don't enjoy, if it can be avoided. Hope you find your way back to fully enjoying the hobby, in whatever quality and quantity suits you best.

Cheers!:guinness:

Mike

spotlope
December 1st, 2009, 17:40
Michael, your work (among others) has always been an inspiration to me in terms of what can be done with a model. I fully understand your motives (as loco as they might be) :icon_lol:

Don't be a stranger. I'd really like to see what you are working on regardless of what it is! :ernae:

Best Wishes,
Robert

I second that! Even if you dive head-first into modeling actual trains you can touch, stop by every now and then and show us some shots. My dad scratch-built HO scale locomotives from brass, and it always fascinated me. I'd love to see what you do next.

Panther_99FS
December 1st, 2009, 17:41
Michael,
As long as you're happy, that's all that really matters...

BUT.....Do keep in touch...:mixedsmi::guinness:

Quicksand
December 1st, 2009, 18:09
Michael, a man must follow his heart to remain true to himself... That said, please do not leave SOH, as you are a most valued member. Your sage advice has helped me through some bad situations with FS. Thank you for your contributions to our hobby, my friend.

bazzar
December 1st, 2009, 18:11
Well Michael it's certainly been a while. 'Thing about sunsets is that they always end up in a sunrise somewhere on the planet. Take care my friend and thankyou for all the considerable contribution you have made to this hobby and the industry that supports it. Beer is not enough.:ernae::medals:

harleyman
December 1st, 2009, 18:49
Well, Well.....

Undicided about how to take this...

So glad you have the skills to move on and begin to enjoy your talents afresh.

Very sorry to see such a talent and good sole hang up the ol scarf though.

I too think trains are cool as heck...

Please drop by and show off your projects from time to time...

Best to ya in all your adventures Michael...

Sundog
December 1st, 2009, 19:32
:ernae: Cheers to a job well done. I know many rail enthusiasts as well. I'm not one of them, but even I was getting excited about TS2. Oh well. The only constant is change. Whatever you do, enjoy it to it's fullest.:wavey:

limjack
December 2nd, 2009, 09:15
Follow your passion Michael and thanks to all you have done for us here and like the others have said, drop in and share with us your progress in the train world....perhaps you will get me excited enought to check it out and become a train addict too:icon_lol:.

Jim:icon29:

CrisGer
December 2nd, 2009, 11:17
thank you for all you have given and good luck with future endevours... :) :medals: