PDA

View Full Version : JASDF F-15 suffers partial inflight breakup

kilo delta
November 30th, 2009, 15:09
...occurred at an airshow recently. I guess they don't make them like they use ta :isadizzy:

eE-1eUYghZ4

jkcook28
November 30th, 2009, 16:31
That was tough to see even in slo-mo. Maybe an inspection panel or some such? Didn't appear to be really critical...unless the film was cropped off at that point! http://freesmileyface.net/smiley/Surprise/surprised-034.gif (http://freesmileyface.net)

Railrunner130
November 30th, 2009, 16:42
I was expecting a re-enactment of the break up of the St. Louis ANG airplane. That's not too bad. The ANG airplane fuselage split around (below) the canopy and fell apart. That appears to be just like John said, an inspection panel. It didn't appear to affect the aircraft performance any.

Piglet
November 30th, 2009, 17:22
F-15's are getting old. Even in peacetime, fighters lead a rough life. Those pieces falling off could have been burner petals.

Allen
November 30th, 2009, 18:46
F-15's are getting old. Even in peacetime, fighters lead a rough life. Those pieces falling off could have been burner petals.

I'm afraid that fighters have a shelf life. People need to under stand that planes NEED to be set back to the factory to be refurbished. Basicly strip them down to all parts, speck it all. If it don't pass replace it. If it dose reuse it.

fsafranek
November 30th, 2009, 20:45
Maybe it's just the angle of the shots but it looks to me like he lost the leading edge of the port horizontal stab. In the top image below you see it looking normal. In the second image something large is falling back and the dogtooth on the leading edge of the stab isn't visible anymore and the chord looks to be less. In the third image whatever fell off had seperated into two pieces. Again it might just be the angle but the stab isn't shaped the same anymore. JMHO
:ernae:

kilo delta
December 1st, 2009, 00:53
You're spot on,Frank. The leading edge of the left stabiliser came off. I've also read that the leading edge of the left fin was damaged too.
The ANG F-15 breakup led to a lower G limit (and lower Mach limit too?) being imposed on the entire F-15 fleet...save the F-15E.

EDIT... more info... http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20091130p2a00m0na013000c.html

Piglet
December 1st, 2009, 21:19
I'm afraid that fighters have a shelf life. People need to under stand that planes NEED to be set back to the factory to be refurbished. Basicly strip them down to all parts, speck it all. If it don't pass replace it. If it dose reuse it.
Slow down, son. Not the end of the world!:applause:We all know most planes have an airframe life limit. And that these planes usually go thru life-extension programs when their replacements fail to enter service on time!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Allen
December 2nd, 2009, 10:07
Slow down, son. Not the end of the world!:applause:We all know most planes have an airframe life limit. And that these planes usually go thru life-extension programs when their replacements fail to enter service on time!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Life-extension programs are not living up to there name than or planes that have not been put in this "Life-extension program" need to be pulled off the flight line tell there safe to fly in combat conditions.