PDA

View Full Version : i7 975 question and best case??

scoutII
November 30th, 2009, 08:50
Bump from my video card question....Couple more questions....Are there different makes of the i7 975 extreme editions(which and why)? and what full size atx cases are better in your opinion. with enough room for all the cooling fans and whatnot(all air) - Thanks Chris

VCN-1
November 30th, 2009, 08:57
This is an incredible case. Weighs a ton but all the features and room you could want.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187&cm_re=cooler_master_atcs_840-_-11-119-187-_-Product (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119187&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-)

VCN-1

jetstreamsky
November 30th, 2009, 17:14
I recently built a system with the Ultra m998 case, highly recommend it, super quality, very easy to access, looks good too. http://ultraorder.com/product_details.php?cPath=13&pPath=652&productID=652

harleyman
November 30th, 2009, 17:20
The best two cases by far...IMO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133056

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

Not sure just what you are asking about the CPU...

But extreme is not ususlly needed..

The good old 920 on air will OC and do all that the extremes will do ...IMO

Lotus
November 30th, 2009, 17:31
I can personally vouch for Harleyman's second link, the Coolermaster HAF 932. I just got one a week ago, and it's absolutely brilliant, one of the most elegant internal and external designs I've ever seen. It accepted a massive 3 fan water cooling radiator perfectly as well. With that, plus the massive pizza-sized side fan, and the multiple intake and exhaust fans, my i7 (at 3.8 ghz) is running with idle temps of 22-24 deg C and max load temps under FSX of 35-38 deg. A very solidly built and quiet case, extremely easy to work inside for adding drives, ram, and videocards and such. I also like the fact that as far as large cases go it's pretty understated in looks. I'm not into cases that light up like the UFOs from Close Encounters. ;) I'd recommend it to anyone.

Cheers,

-Mike

scoutII
December 1st, 2009, 07:24
Thanks again for the info!!:ernae:

Going for the i7 975 extreme edition, asus rampage II extreme, corsair dominator gt - 6gb ddr3 2000, noctua nh-u12p se1366, wd velociraptor 300 added to my to 2 150 raptors, don't know what tower yet, likely the coolmaster haf? and already have the evga gtx275 superclocked and a 950 watt ps..windows 7 pro..now if this don't take care of business....:pop4:

Got a nice end of year bonus and already got the wife paid off..... Thanks again:ernae:

harleyman
December 1st, 2009, 09:31
Gonna be a good one....

Just send it this way after its first boot......LOL

scoutII
December 1st, 2009, 14:57
Is that before or after I set my desk on fire?

ryanbatc
December 1st, 2009, 15:30
I'm not even building right now but that 2nd CoolerMaster case looks very solid, almost two feet high lol! :jump:

Ferry_vO
December 1st, 2009, 15:36
The Coolermaster HAF series are great, got the smaller 922 myself.
Two small downsides: It sucks up a lot of dust and will cause a bit of a draft with those two big fans; I can actually feel the air blowing past my legs! It will need regular cleaning on the inside and of the filters on the front panel.
I like the look of the powder coated panels on the sides, and if you don't like the look of the red front fan you can switch the light off. (Not on the blue fan on top though). A really nice feature is the PSU which is mounted on the bottomof the case; it will suck cool air in through a vent in the bottom of the case, not the hot air coming from the CPU like in the old ATX cases. Keep in mind that it is somewhat wider than most regular cases, it's somewhat of a tight fit in my desk.
The USB/E-sata plugs and power switches are all located near the top of the case which works well if the case is on the floor.

EgoR64
December 1st, 2009, 18:02
:ernae:

Nice, I'm looking for Cool and not loud case, I do like the second one that Harley Posted not a bad price.........

Cheers -

harleyman
December 2nd, 2009, 01:19
Whats cool about the HAF case is that the front grills are removeable and can be painted to any color you choose, for that extra modded look simply and easily.....

scoutII
December 2nd, 2009, 04:36
Going to see my comp guy today and tell him about the coolmaster.....If he bones me with a labor bill - Might try to set it up myself(with some help:isadizzy:) and spend his bucks on something else -

kilo delta
December 2nd, 2009, 04:43
I like the Lian Li aluminium cases...great airflow,very light and easy to work on the system when it's fully built. Be sure to get a good cooling system for the 975 chip as it's a great overclocker and it'd be criminal not to!:ernae:

scoutII
December 2nd, 2009, 14:20
Do most comp builders charge you full shipping of parts as part of the price? not to sound cheap but every site I look at(i.e. Newegg) has free shipping(this time of year)...and would gladly pay him to just stand behind me and coach while I put it together so'z I can learn'z....or if he can get a better price - go with that and the shipping fee - As of now he has not come back to me with his product prices...so I'll wait....anxiously awaiting.....

harleyman
December 2nd, 2009, 14:51
Where you live at ??

At my shop the customer only pays what it costs me to purchase the parts..I shop extensively the day of order to insure I get all the free shipping I can and pass that savings on to my customers...

I charge 250 for mid builds and 400 for full tower builds with OCing included and full guarentee of parts and OC...

I will price it out for you, let you stand behinf me while we build it...

I also have a service that I will walk you through the build over the phone....

Have done it many times...

Takes two days start to finish...No..not on the phone the whole time..

I give instructions, then we hang up and you complete that part....

GT182
December 2nd, 2009, 15:10
Scout, do yourself a favor and build it yourself. If I can do anyone can.... it's not all that hard to do. Just read your manuals and it'll go as smooth as silk. Honest.

Besides, you'll save money so that you can spend it for something else you need or want.

scoutII
December 3rd, 2009, 04:51
I hear ya - but this guy is also a friend, an Iraq war vet(just got through back surgery) and a down to earth type of guy and I keep him plenty busy with what my boss messes up at work (surfing where it's dangerous...) and I like to help the smaller business when I can - Seeing him this morning at 9 because the boss yet again froze his comp... Thanks - I would like to build it....no fancy lights, just lots of power under the hood - Chris from Collinsville, CT 06019

GT182 - Is that you in a P-51B??

VCN-1
December 3rd, 2009, 05:45
Scout

Sounds as if you will have have the same set up I have with the exception of the case. My only problem after reviewing the web sites and guides I can't figure out how to OC it.

I need an OC guide for dummies.
Like: do step 1 and then do step 2 and then do step 3 and do ...

I did assemble the monster myself and when it was turned on the first time my thoughts were, "Its Alive":d

VCN-1

scoutII
December 3rd, 2009, 09:38
Talk to my guy today...Says his guy says there might be something newer out there from asus(true?) along the same specs as the rampage II extreme...Is this true or should I say just get me what I want or I will - Will keep you updated with what he says....This is getting to feel like shopping with the Mrs. - a lot of talk and nothing getting done

harleyman
December 3rd, 2009, 10:05
Talk to my guy today...Says his guy says there might be something newer out there from asus(true?) along the same specs as the rampage II extreme...Is this true or should I say just get me what I want or I will - Will keep you updated with what he says....This is getting to feel like shopping with the Mrs. - a lot of talk and nothing getting done

The latest does not always equat to better...Prices are higher always..BIOS and results are still usually out on new releases....PLUS IMO ASUS has dropped the ball on MoBos lately...

Can you say Gigabyte?????????

Can you say MSI???????? LOL

kilo delta
December 3rd, 2009, 10:26
Don't go chasing the latest hardware. Invariably, by the time you've bought it and installed it there's already something "newer" and "better" on the horizon! :) :icon_lol::ernae:

Rezabrya
December 3rd, 2009, 10:48
I have the Antec 1200 and it is a fantastic case. It has a slight dust problem but I think any high performance case will suck in quite a bit of dust.

scoutII
December 3rd, 2009, 12:50
OK tell me more or what to look at in the Gibabyte and MSI world, compared to the rampage II extreme (liked it cause of all the positive (overclocking) reviews...) or is there a rampage III on the way. LOL Thanks for your time

txnetcop
December 3rd, 2009, 14:23
I have built 44 i7 Core rigs and I have also tested every X58 motherboard available today and two that are still coming. The ASUS Rampage II Extreme is the finest, fastest motherboard out there. It is also the most expensive and most complex for newbies who have never overclocked before. However with the i7965 Extreme all I had to do was set the multiplier to 30x change the CPU voltage to 1.62 and I was able to OC to 4.14Ghz in less than 3 minutes. Stay with the Rampage II-quit shopping opinions once you have settled on something solid.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/article729.html Jake Mete wrote this review and part of it came from a company I test computer equipment for.
Ted

scoutII
December 4th, 2009, 05:55
Thanks - I really like the reviews of the rampage II .....Guess I'll have to get stern with my friend - Thanks for the response - I have only started to learn to overclock, but I read alot of what's out there and go slowly and have had good success with what I have done so far - Chris

scoutII
December 20th, 2009, 10:17
Thanks again for the info!!:ernae:

Going for the i7 975 extreme edition, asus rampage II extreme, corsair dominator gt - 6gb ddr3 2000, noctua nh-u12p se1366, wd velociraptor 300 added to my to 2 150 raptors, don't know what tower yet, likely the coolmaster haf? and already have the evga gtx275 superclocked and a 950 watt ps..windows 7 pro..now if this don't take care of business....:pop4:

Got a nice end of year bonus and already got the wife paid off..... Thanks again:ernae:
Update - Going with the coolmaster HAF 932 - All parts are ordered....New question - Should I do a fresh reinstall of FSX and re-tweak?? - I am planning on using the 300 vraptor for the usual computer programs and 1 150 raptor for FSX and the other for CFS3 or if there is a better idea let me know - Thanks

dhl1986
December 20th, 2009, 13:01
The antec 300/900/1200 are all great for their prices. I think the sweet spot is the 900 with some aftermarket fans swapped in. The 900 is basically a miniature wind tunnel, and will definitely keep your components cool.

harleyman
December 20th, 2009, 13:38
Update - Going with the coolmaster HAF 932 - All parts are ordered....New question - Should I do a fresh reinstall of FSX and re-tweak?? - I am planning on using the 300 vraptor for the usual computer programs and 1 150 raptor for FSX and the other for CFS3 or if there is a better idea let me know - Thanks

If you are taking those HDDs from another rig into the new one you may have to do a fresh install anyways..

I would suggest it anyways..

scoutII
December 20th, 2009, 14:50
Thanks - now to find all of my reg #'s......for the payware stuff....

Paul K
December 20th, 2009, 16:51
I have an Antec 900 case, containing an i7-960, 6Gb Corsair Dominator, two HDs ( the non-system one being a 10,000 rpm Velociraptor for FSX ) and an NVidia GTX 285. Its a nice compact case, has four fans, and doesn't look too outlandish. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

scoutII
December 21st, 2009, 15:50
Thanks Paul:ernae:

CBris
December 21st, 2009, 19:49
There'll always be something new out there ;)

Buy it

Build it

...and don't look at the ads for at least three months... That does look hot though!

Me? I am looking at a Thermaltake Xaser or Soprano. But those towers o' yours look good too.

EgoR64
December 22nd, 2009, 03:51
:wavey:

Looks like a nice setup, I went as cheap as I could maybe invested $650.00 or under, I7 920 and the X58 Mobo, with 6GB of the Dominator, Was all excited to see FSX take advantage of the new Hyper threading capabilities, but nada, I mean it runs great with all sliders cranked up, however my biggest joy is sitting in the big tuber at a big ariport with AI traffic all around me, No go flo, Just cannot crank up the AI at the big airports. Dunno why, I tried MytrafficX 5.1 and Ultimate Traffic X, Both heavy Hitters even in DX10, I tried every setting and read every trick to date, My happy spot is all the scenerey cranked and AI at only 50%, Boring but I will have to live with it.

Just for Grins I loaded my Old Copy of FS9, Put my old copy of Mytraffic 4.1 on Cranked up the traffic and settings, FPS is through the roof, Takes me 30 Minutes to get out of the Airport, Super fun, but not FSX Quality -

FSX is such a struggle to find the Happy Place - However it keeps my Interest, Gotta Fly - :icon29::icon29:

On a Postive note on the I7 - The New Call of Duty and Far Cry 2 are smoking - HooYaaa -

scoutII
December 24th, 2009, 11:17
Waiting for the coolmaster case to show up next week -:isadizzy:

scoutII
December 26th, 2009, 12:30
txnetcop - Thanks for the review info....really looking forward to this setup....

scoutII
December 27th, 2009, 07:32
Question on reinstall of OS - Should I go with clean slate 7 home 64 or 7 pro 64(w/XP option) or what's your thoughts? As far as the reinstall - go from scratch(deluxe and accel) or scab off of my files? have a 300 wd velociraptor for main and 1 - 150 raptor for FSX and 1 - 150 raptor for CFS3 - or should I do something different? Still waiting for UPS on the coolmaster....Thanks, Chris