PDA

View Full Version : F4F Wildcat

waco
November 30th, 2009, 08:31
I'm most likely missing something obvious, but I cannot get the landing gear on the Wildcat to retract. I know it's manual and have tried various key assignments to no avail. I've got 1946 patched to 4.09. I even reinstalled it incase something was corrupted. No joy. Help, please.

tenspeed
November 30th, 2009, 10:11
Go into Controls and assign keys to "Raise gear manually" and "Lower gear manually".

waco
November 30th, 2009, 10:29
tenspeed, that's what I did and nada. I tried the assignments in both training and campaign. The Seaphire gear work OK. :confused:

tenspeed
November 30th, 2009, 13:32
I know this may sound stupid but did you continually press it or press it once? Continually pressing simulates manually raising/lowering gear. Other then that I'd have to get in the game and see if there's something I missed.

pilotsden
November 30th, 2009, 13:45
ok guy's,
heres what will work......select two keys......one for up and one for down......then continually tap tap tap and it will give you the gear up or gear down signal....the wheel spins in the cockpit mode and you can hear a whiring noise.....
also,an added bonas....if your hydralics are shot out and your gear wont come down in an aircraft with auto gear you can lower it manually to land......i have had this happen on numerous occasions and got the gear down to land....
pd

waco
November 30th, 2009, 14:52
See, I thought it was something simple. I never thought of that. Thanx, guys. :applause: Altho I have to ask (rhetorically only), how does tapping simulate cranking? :icon_lol: To me, ex AF, tapping would simulate a hand pump for a hydraulic emergency system. Supper's ready. I'll try tapping & pressing continuously after eating.

waco
November 30th, 2009, 16:52
Tapping works. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I should've asked earlier instead of continually butting my head against the wall.:ernae:

Wagtail
December 9th, 2009, 14:08
See, I thought it was something simple. I never thought of that. Thanx, guys. :applause: Altho I have to ask (rhetorically only), how does tapping simulate cranking? :icon_lol: To me, ex AF, tapping would simulate a hand pump for a hydraulic emergency system. Supper's ready. I'll try tapping & pressing continuously after eating.

Funny you should say that - I'm an aircraft mechanic and have always felt the same thing - operating a crank should be Press and Hold (one button for one direction, second button for other direction).

I also think flight trimming should have an "Auto" option where trim is automatically adjusted by the game as speed/balance changes so player can just dial in offsets (ie. for takeoff, dial in yaw offset, for strafing have a bit of "up load" etc.). The option should remain of course for it to be "realistic" the way it is now - which would be fine for those who have fancy force feedback etc. control setups - but those of us using simple spring centred sticks would really benefit from the auto system I've described.

I brought both these things up in the Ubi forums when PF first came out and got my head kicked in...

stansdds
December 10th, 2009, 02:07
There is no auto-trim because there was no auto-trim in the real WW2 aircraft. Oleg and 1C did attempt to keep many aspects of the sim faithful to the real aircraft. Not all aspects, but many.

Wagtail
December 10th, 2009, 02:49
Yes, I know there was no auto trim in the aircraft being simulated - that wasn't my point - I'm saying that in the GAME it would be nice to have the option for those of us who don't have the facility for analogue controls that can be mapped to trim and/or force feedback which makes it easier to handle varying control load than it is with a spring centred stick. As much as I love hi fidelity in sims, I also recognise and accept that some compromise in certain things is necessary due to the fact that I'm in front of a pc instead of in the real thing.

Not to mention it's a bit cheeky for 1C to force us to "realistically" constantly manually trim when the trim systems themselves aren't simulated properly anyway (the result is more or less correct tho which is the important thing - which is the same argument I'd similarly hold up in favour of an auto trim option) . AND - I'm not saying everyone should be forced to use an auto trim - merely that the OPTION would be nice for those who would like it.