PDA

View Full Version : Major problem...

Rami
November 30th, 2009, 07:25
Hey guys,

I had a USB flash stick overheat this morning, and now can't ask important documents that I need for this week. I'm aware of the backup rule, these are just files in transit that I lost before I could print / back them up.

How can I recover these critical documents? Are there services available?

Response requested,

Mick
November 30th, 2009, 07:30
Google for "Data Recovery Massachusetts" and you'll get tons of hits on data recovery firms, with ones in Mass. at the top of the list. You can surely find one very close to you.

Those guys can get almost anything back.

Toastmaker
November 30th, 2009, 07:57
Unless the files have been corrupted. Then you get back corrupted - and useless- files.

I know from recent experience. . .

Sorry to hear about this trouble for you and wish you luck.

Moparmike
November 30th, 2009, 08:09
I don't know the success rate of recovering files from a cooked flash drive.

I have used Lexar's Image Rescue utility several times in the past to get files off that had been deleted but not overwritten yet. it's not free anymore though, you now get it when buying select Lexar sticks/cards. The old free version is still kicking around out on the net a few places yet though.
Here's one... http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/10/28/free-download-lexar-image-rescue-3-to-undelete-and-recover-lost-photos-and-videos/

Rami
November 30th, 2009, 19:14
It gets hot when I try to plug it in, but it will not be recognized. Someone suggested to me that I try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Is this a smart idea?

Moparmike
December 1st, 2009, 05:03
It gets hot when I try to plug it in, but it will not be recognized. Someone suggested to me that I try putting it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Is this a smart idea?

That freezer trick has been known to work with regular hard drives. I haven't ever heard it suggested for a flash memory device yet though. Might be worth a try though since it seems all else is lost.

I would suspect that something shorted out on one of the chips onboard the stick and is causing the overheat.

It didn't go through the washing machine perchance did it? (or any other type of "bath")
If so, then just leave it out in a warm place like a nice sunny windowsill for a couple days to let any water evaporate out of it. Then try it.
I've got a couple flash drives that have gotten wet at work several times and they are still alive...but I've always let em dry out good before trying them though too.

Henry
December 1st, 2009, 05:40
I don't know the success rate of recovering files from a cooked flash drive.

I have used Lexar's Image Rescue utility several times in the past to get files off that had been deleted but not overwritten yet. it's not free anymore though, you now get it when buying select Lexar sticks/cards. The old free version is still kicking around out on the net a few places yet though.
Here's one... http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/10/28/free-download-lexar-image-rescue-3-to-undelete-and-recover-lost-photos-and-videos/
Image rescue has mostly worked for me
i have never tried it on flash drives though
but thats a great utility for anyone with memory cards
H

Rami
December 1st, 2009, 06:19
Moparmike,

Nope, no water / fluid...just overheating / lack of recognition.

Cratermaker
December 1st, 2009, 06:43
I'm guessing the best case scenario is that the memory chip itself is fine and one of the other components shorting out. If that is the case, that component can be replaced or the memory chip(s) themselves can be transferred to a similar USB stick. Just need to find someone qualified to do that sort of work. If the memory chip itself is overheating...

Rami
December 1st, 2009, 13:07
The freezer trick didn't work. :crybaby: