PDA

View Full Version : Civil War Sim...............Monitor and Merrimack

Rocktser2
October 29th, 2008, 07:48
Just in case, I am always behind on the news..............................

But I think the Monitor and Merrimack stuff gave someone an idea to create a simulator.............

I was looking at the Ironclad post .............which I guess is a mission or campaign........................

and I thought I would check on tanksim to see what was new..............and this came up

Totem games is a russian website......................maybe someone from IL2????

American Civil War: Ironclads (or visa versa)

I thought the thread and Tango Romeo works would give somebuddy a thought bubble.......................

There is a demo....................

At least we get to try it for free.........................Sorry Tango....................good ideas always lead to someone capitalizing on it......................well ..........look on the bright side..............there is a ironclad sim.

OBIO
October 29th, 2008, 15:34
Looks like a cute game.....but we all know where the first Iron Clads set sail! Right here in the Basement. And we all know who created it. Our very own Tango Romeo.

OBIO

bretnutz
October 30th, 2008, 08:19
Way back when I bought my First Computer.....486 with 16mb ram and Windows95

I saw in a Magazine an ad for I think it was called " CW Gunboats "...

I kept the ad for a while and then E-mailed them as to weather or not the Game was going to be released....the responce was NO because the company was going to go in a different direction....away from Games.

The ad had a picture of a window ....looking out at a gunboat on a bend of the river...also there was a Brass looking control which seems to control the direction of your Gunboat.

Found the AD......was being released 1996....NEVER HAPPENED

CrashnBurns
October 30th, 2008, 14:10
I still have that ad as well. I was really looking forward to "Ironclads". I was crushed when it never came out. :banghead:

Rocktser2
November 6th, 2008, 13:22
At the risk of a virus....................

I downloaded/tested the Demo from tutor for "Ironclads:American Civil War.

The ships are very well done...............

The battledamage/cannon fire is very basic if not existant...................

you have to get in close for a shot..........................................

More strategic .................like a chess game

The Demo is very simple.........for ages 8 to 16 for holding attention........

Tango_Romeo
November 6th, 2008, 16:30
...have recently been looking at producing a sim like this using one of the new 'open source game engines' like Totem. Two of the parties have contacted me with regard interest in designing for such a sim. This outfit is not one of them.

It seems that most of the 'open source engine' options would result in a sim such as the one illustrated......a poor mix between a strategy/boardgame and a FPS.

Both of the folks who contacted me were wrestling with the C++ programming possibilities of modifiying the open-source programs into a CFS2-like FPS game for surface ships.

Nice shots, Rockster! :ernae: