PDA

View Full Version : FSD F-20 Tigershark

brettt777
November 29th, 2009, 17:05
There is a download of the FSD F-20 Tigershark on another website that is an FS9 plane that is suppose to be "modified" to work in FSX. Of course it doesn't work correctly. I know how these are. 99% of them don't work correctly. Makes ya mad. Anyway, what happens is the virtual texture that is suppose to transparent and all the gauges are attached to it shows up as a big semi reflective plane over the VC. Is there anything at all that can be done to fix this? I have an F-5F that I got from FS9 that appears to use the same basic model as the F-20. The VC looks almost identical except that it wasn't "modified" for FSX and it works great in FSX.

peter12213
November 29th, 2009, 18:19
I roccomend the Iris F-20 there are alot of great models and its the best one out there at the moment, payware though!

N2056
November 29th, 2009, 18:22
FSD did a T-38 for FS9, but I am unaware of an F-20. Could you provide a link to this plane?

AckAck
November 29th, 2009, 18:29
Me as well - IRIS is the only one I know of. FSD's free T-38 was for FS8, and bundled as payware for FS9.

Google turned up two that are modified versions of an older DSB F-20 - one modified by Mark Rooks, and one by Mel Mutter. I wasn't aware that DSB had released this as freeware, although it certainly could have been - they did a lot of them at one point.

Brian

brettt777
November 29th, 2009, 20:03
Okay here's the link. Now after reading a little more I see that it is in fact an old Iris release. But when you extract and install it, it says DSB. That's where I got the DSB from. Anyway, is there any way to make the panel work correctly is FSX by making the virtual texture transparent like it should be?

http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php?type=item&ID=64&page=21

Txmmy83
November 30th, 2009, 03:44
DSB/IRIS Released the FS2004 F-20 Tigershark together with the F-5 Tiger
long time ago

this is a portover

jmig
November 30th, 2009, 03:59
I don't know if it is still on sale but, the FSX F-20 was on sale this weekend for maybe $20 buck or so. I true "bat out of hell" and fun airplane. But, keep your smash up in the final turn on landing.

warchild
November 30th, 2009, 14:45
i gotta admit. the f-20 was my first "commercial" FDE. it's immature, brash, sharp edged and in serious need of refinement. That said, it's still a helluva fun plane to toss around. It IS payware, but i think you'll find the price comfortably low. And if there is enough interest, perhaps i'll make time to update the dynamics :)
Pam

Dexdoggy
November 30th, 2009, 16:26
i gotta admit. the f-20 was my first "commercial" FDE. it's immature, brash, sharp edged and in serious need of refinement. That said, it's still a helluva fun plane to toss around. It IS payware, but i think you'll find the price comfortably low. And if there is enough interest, perhaps i'll make time to update the dynamics :)
Pam

Pam, if this is the Iris one, it is one mighty fine plane and it's a pleasure to fly, was worth every cent! :applause::applause::applause:

brettt777
November 30th, 2009, 20:49
Pam

Pam you're from Bend? I use to live in Prineville a few years back. Loved it! Anyway, I know about the Iris F-20 and when I can I will get that one and add it to my hangar along with the Lotus L-39. I am just wondering if there is anything that can be done to make the one I have work in FSX short of having the source files and modifying the virtual texture with an .mdl program. Here are some pics of what it looks like in FS9 and what it looks like in FSX. I was hoping there was just some kind of adjustment I need to make to the video settings on my PC.

warchild
November 30th, 2009, 23:00
frankly, if you can afford the HD space, keep a copy of fs9 with the old f-20 in it.. the amount of work needed to convert t3extures and make everything else right is abominable.. That shininess is caused by FSX not seeing the texture if i'm correct. i'm a number cruncher so i may not be correct here. Turn off DX-10 preview and it should show up ok.. The other possibility is that somehow, the alpha channel got reversed. you can use dxtbmp to check it. if the alpha channel is black, it will show up as a reflection, and you can simply reverse it using the pull down menu which will rid you of that reflection..

But yeah, im from bend :).. been to prineville a ton of times.. It's a nice little town. With the development of the spartan, i've been using Mckenzie bridge airstrip out behind middle sister as a base of operations. If i dont hit the trees, it's a good day..

For all you f-20 canyon divers out there, the country west of three sisters is a challeng3e like few others.. Take off from KRDM and stear a heading of 240 degrees. even with default scenery, you'll love it :)..

brettt777
December 1st, 2009, 08:23
For all you f-20 canyon divers out there, the country west of three sisters is a challeng3e like few others.. Take off from KRDM and stear a heading of 240 degrees. even with default scenery, you'll love it :)..

Hey thanks for that Pam. I love a good canyon run and I'm always looking for a new one to try.

VaporZ
December 2nd, 2009, 01:42
Be aware that the Iris pilot on their FSX F-20 Tigershark
offer is 130 % Scaled compared to the a real size pilot
in a real F-20 cockpit !

When flying this F-20, this "scaled up" pilot gave the general
impression of the F-20 having the same dimensions that those
of a nimble Folland Gnat.

Unfortunatly, Iris never offer a correction for this "scaled up"
pilot.
:kilroy:
VaporZ