PDA

View Full Version : OT: A piece of flightsim history.

IanP
November 29th, 2009, 08:16
Having not visited a new airfield for 19 days short of ten years, I decided that today we'd brave the decidedly dodgy weather report and take G-JIMH from Halfpenny Green up to Tatenhill in Staffordshire.

Not a bad flight, but after landing and taxying up to the visitors' parking, the only available spot was right at the end, between a Piper Seneca V and the hold for the runway (Tatenhill isn't very big). As I turned, I looked at the Seneca, thought "that's nice... hang on... that looks familiar... Good Grief!!!"

I have just parked next to N95D. I doubt it still does belong to Peter Sidoli, but how many people remember it from the days of FS98, when it was one of, if not the, first aircraft we had to ever have moving parts rather than white circles for props and landing gear that just popped in and out with no movement between the two?

I seriously wish I'd taken my camera now... :icon_lol:

falcon409
November 29th, 2009, 09:13
I entered MSFS with 2004 so I never had the experience, but having said that, for those who did (you obviously did) what an experience Ian to see the first aircraft, the one that started it all I guess.

Is the airport within driving distance? I'd almost be inclined to make the trip back just for posterity.

IanP
November 29th, 2009, 09:26
For those that don't remember it, here's a review from many moons ago.

http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/fsd_n95d.htm

I remember now that it used to fly out of Welshpool, but apparently it isn't based at Tatenhill according to the ops staff there, so I doubt it would be there if we went back.

FlameOut
November 29th, 2009, 13:31
Holy cow!

Clicked on that link, read the review and saw that there were approx. 54,000 d/l. :medals:

Nick C
December 1st, 2009, 09:07
I think all existing flight sim users should heed the words written in that review and quit their moaning when a bolt head doesn't look exactly right etc:

This is an aircraft that all other simulator aircraft should be measured by

:d:d:d

MCDesigns
December 1st, 2009, 09:18
Wow, that link was a blast from the past. I remember Peter Sidoli from the AVSIM forums, wasn't aware he worked with FSD. I loved his posts which usually gave great comparisons between sim flights and his real world flights including images of both.

Ian, how could you be in a real plane and not have a camera, LOL.

Lionheart
December 1st, 2009, 09:53
Thats pretty cool Ian. Thanks for the story and all.

FS has come a huge distance since then....

I would like to find that Cessna Golden Eagle from Flight1..

Bill

Kiwikat
December 1st, 2009, 11:45
It's just mindblowing how much FS has changed in 10 years, even moreso in the last 15. :isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy::jawdrop: