PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live near NAS Pensacola?

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2009, 06:05
I am planning a trip to the Aviation Museum there, and am wondering about the possibility of getting a room through the BEQ there. If anyone knows if this is still allowed, please let me know.

I need to go do some research for Ron Zambrano, and if I could stay in the barracks there, it would save me some bucks.

Thanks.

NC

Crusader
November 29th, 2009, 06:49
I am planning a trip to the Aviation Museum there, and am wondering about the possibility of getting a room through the BEQ there. If anyone knows if this is still allowed, please let me know.

I need to go do some research for Ron Zambrano, and if I could stay in the barracks there, it would save me some bucks.

Thanks.

NC

I was wondering the same thing Chief . I was planning a trip to the Navy Museum next spring. I have been to the Air Force Museum at least a dozen times over the years as I live just an hour and 45 mins away . I retired from Wright Patterson AFB in 1995(Air Force Reserves) and have been TDY to Tyndall AFB three different times and never made it to Pensacola NAS .
My active duty was four years in Marine Aviation working primarily on the F-8 Crusader(65-69) so I am very partial to Naval Aviation . I know Wright Patterson AFB VOQ is getting harder and harder to get into due to staging alot of National Guard and Reserves units (both Army andd USAF)during our current two war scenerio we are in . Occassionally you can luck out and slip in if a big group has just deployed .

I would also be very curious to know if Pensacola NAS BEQ/BOQ accepts any retirees too . I have a book with all the Military Lodges in it with all the phones numbers necessary so I may give Pensacola NAS a call one of these days .

Later ,

Rich:guinness:

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2009, 09:25
NC, the P'cola BEQ reservations # is (850) 452-3625, give 'em a call and see if they can put you up.
Not familiar with the area down there but here's a blurb on the Corry Station BEQ, not sure if it's same facility as above :
Following your check-in at the CID Corry Station Quarterdeck, students and unaccompanied or single staff members desiring billeting will check in with our Five-Star Zumwalt Award-winning Bachelor Enlisted Quarters Welcome Center in Building 1084. The professional BEQ staff will assist you with accommodations for your stay at Corry Station. They can be reached at (850) 452-6609/6541 or DSN 922-6609/6541.
Let the rest of us ORF's (Old Retired Farts) know what they tell you, I'd like to make a trip down there myself. :)

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2009, 09:32
NC, the P'cola BEQ reservations # is (850) 452-3625, give 'em a call and see if they can put you up.

Thanks for the tip! I called Corry Station, but they do not allow retirees to stay there. They did confirm that NAS Pensacola does, and the phone number is different from what you provided. I just talked to them at:

850-452-2755. They do allow retirees to stay there, and can make reservations up to 10 days in advance. I may go there over the Christmas period. Better than staying home alone, I guess.

NC

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2009, 09:42
NC, glad to help out and thanks for the updated ph#. That makes the trip a lot more affordable for those of us who can stay in the BEQ. :)

Crusader
November 29th, 2009, 10:35
NC, glad to help out and thanks for the updated ph#. That makes the trip a lot more affordable for those of us who can stay in the BEQ. :)

Thanks to all who responded to this . Glad to hear NAS Pensacola accepts retirees . I will have to give them a call early spring .

Rich

Railrunner130
November 29th, 2009, 10:47
I stayed in the Navy equivilant of VAQ about seven years ago. The room was very nice and the building was fairly new at that time.

Snuffy
November 29th, 2009, 13:57
Too far south for me NC ...

I'm only in Jax.

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 06:19
An update of sorts.

I called the base, and inquired about reservations. It isn't quite as cheap as it used to be (what is, nowadays?) but is still a bargain. A "regular" room costs 44 bucks, and a suite is 54 bucks. The suite has a mini-kitchen. No tax. Still a good deal compared to off base!

I am going down to spend the 18, 19, and 20th at NAS Pensacola, and most of that time, I'll be at the aviation museum. I guess this will be a Christmas present to myself.

NC

crashaz
December 11th, 2009, 08:12
Take good pictures brother!

We need all the details we can get Chief!!:salute:

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 08:20
Take good pictures brother!

We need all the details we can get Chief!!:salute:

Oh, I will take a LOT of pictures! I had to change my travel dates though. I called the museum library, and they're only open during the weekday. So now I am going from Dec. 27, 28, 29, and come home the 30th. I am psyched!!!

NC

Willy
December 11th, 2009, 08:49
I would be too! I haven't been there since 1985 and I'll bet there's been a lot of additions since then. When I was last there I was stationed at Port Operations on the base and used to take my young son there on a regular basis to "look at the airplanes". I wonder if he remembers it...

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 09:20
I would be too! I haven't been there since 1985 and I'll bet there's been a lot of additions since then. When I was last there I was stationed at Port Operations on the base and used to take my young son there on a regular basis to "look at the airplanes". I wonder if he remembers it...

Willy, I don't think you would recognize the place! It is awesome. And the folks that work there are retired USN officers, for the most part I think. Great people. I called the library this morning at the museum. The guy who answered was eager to ask what I wanted to research about. I told him I am interested in data concerning the Corsair II squadrons. (Am checking on some things for Prowler). Anyway, the library is a great place at the museum to get information, and they are more than happy to help!

NC

crashaz
December 11th, 2009, 10:06
Ah research is why RAZBAM always in the lead on naval aviation. :medals:

Navy Chief
December 11th, 2009, 10:12
Ah research is why RAZBAM always in the lead on naval aviation. :medals:

I love to ferret out information. It's fun! And going to the museum at Pensacola is like being a kid in a chocolate factory! So many cool things to see and experience....

NC

crashaz
December 11th, 2009, 10:14
I know what you mean... I want to go visit the National Archives.