PDA

View Full Version : You'll want to get this...

Ralf Roggeveen
November 28th, 2009, 11:25
...new magazine:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2387/airliner.jpg

Spin-off from Airliner World. Unclear if there will be more issues or not - perhaps they're waiting to see how this 'pilot' (sorry!) does?

Rather short articles on BOAC, the Connie, Croydon, the Airbus A300, the Bristol Brabazon, Birmingham Airport, Fokker in 1970, Ansett Australia, DC-3 survivors, KLM and the BAC 1-11. Longest & best article is on Sir Freddie Laker.

Nice pictures - that's what magazines are for - but nothing outstandingly new or never-before-seen.

My favourite is two full page reproductions of old BOAC & BEA/BSAA ads on the inside & back covers.

Quite expensive at £4.99 (Aeroplane is currently still only £3.95 monthly). Anyway, have a look in large branches of W.H. Smiths if you're in the UK!

lefty
November 28th, 2009, 13:12
Nice to hear from you again, Ralf.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be spending a fiver a month reminding myself of all those desperately uncomfortable hours spent in flying tubes.

At least, not since the blessed days of the Viscount and Vanguard, when you had space, comfort, proper service, and lovely big windows to gaze out of.

Even the cover puts me off - I flew to Joburg in a VC-10 and it was the dreariest flight of my life !

Ferry_vO
November 28th, 2009, 15:24
Some interesting articles in there it seems, but since we pay double the price over here I won't be getting it. When I bought my first Aeroplane three years ago the GBP vs. Euro exchange rate was 1:2 and the magazine would cost me nine euros. These days the exchange rate is 1:1.2 yet the price of Aeroplane has gone up to ten Euros!

:isadizzy:

lefty
November 28th, 2009, 23:32
And there was me thinking it was only Brits who got ripped off all the time.

Now, talking of air travel, I have dropped sufficient hints for the Boss to get me the new Imperial Airways book for Christmas.

Now there's civilised air transport for you !

Ralf Roggeveen
November 28th, 2009, 23:40
Hello chaps!

You noticed that I, too, was a bit worried about price. It may, in fact, only be a one-off.

Like you, I've got every Aeroplane for the last 11 years. Have corresponded with editor Michael Oakey & the late, great John Maynard. (My favourite is when they show old readers' photos taken at obscure airports in the 1950s). I have even catalogued some of the pictures, unfortunately a neverending task which the publishers should have undertaken; as you know, they don't even catalogue the articles.

:scotland: Your Leftship! You will hear more from me if you look into the FS2004 discussion threads occasionally! I've done a little flying there (about 35,000 miles in fact...)

:ernae: