PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Niihau Scenery

ThomasDWeiss
November 28th, 2009, 04:07
one of our team released it a few days ago, you can read about it here :

http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=466&mode=&order=0&thold=0

http://www.crimeanairwars.com/Frontpage2/NIIHAU/FSX%20NIIHAU%20DL%20poster.jpg (http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=466&mode=&order=0&thold=0)

after this one, comes Kauai, I hope you guys like it.

:)

Helldiver
November 28th, 2009, 04:29
I tried to register as Helldiver. They told me that Helldiver was already taken by someone else.
So then I tried Helldiver1. They accepted that. Then I tried it and they said it was not correct. I give up.
Who's passing themselves of as "Helldiver"?
I out rank him.

ThomasDWeiss
November 28th, 2009, 04:33
I tried to register as Helldiver. They told me that Helldiver was already taken by someone else.
So then I tried Helldiver1. They accepted that. Then I tried it and they said it was not correct. I give up.
Who's passing themselves of as "Helldiver"?
I out rank him.

:D

someone who register before you !

;)

JamesChams
November 28th, 2009, 04:47
Mr. Thomas D Weiss (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=81641),
Thank you! :ernae: I'm downloading it now and look forward to trying it out. I do have one concern, I DON'T use FSGenesisX Mesh, I use FSGlobal X instead, will it still work correctly or am I going to have some issues?

PS: I've currently uninstalled FSGLobal X 2008 because I was planning to upgrade to FSGlobal X 2010; however, the installation of the DVD's were NOT successful and the developer is attempting to help me with this.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_299418", true); </SCRIPT>

ThomasDWeiss
November 28th, 2009, 04:53
FSGlobal X should work fine, in this island, the mesh is not so important.

JamesChams
November 28th, 2009, 04:58
FSGlobal X should work fine, in this island, the mesh is not so important.
Appreciate the quick response; Thanks again, Mr. Thomas D. Weiss (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/member.php?u=81641)!:jump:
Also, I see from the LockOnFiles site that it has Ironhand's Kauai and Niihau (http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&cid=266&lid=1620&title=FSX%20NIIHAU%20Hawaii%20Scenery%20Pack%20v1. 00#dldetails)islands are available. Where can I download the Kauai Island or is it included in this package?

rsoro01
November 28th, 2009, 05:04
...Also, I see from the LockOnFiles site that it has Ironhand's Kauai and Niihau (http://www.lockonfiles.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&cid=266&lid=1620&title=FSX%20NIIHAU%20Hawaii%20Scenery%20Pack%20v1. 00#dldetails)islands are available. Where can I download the Kauai Island or is it included in this package?
Kauai is currently a work in progress. Only Niihau is available for download. Kauai is still probably a month or two from completion.

Rich

JamesChams
November 28th, 2009, 05:12
Kauai is currently a work in progress. Only Niihau is available for download. Kauai is still probably a month or two from completion.

RichMr. Rich "rsoro01,"
Thank you; am looking forward to it. Also, if you don't already know, FSDT is planning on developing a lot of airports in Hawaii; they've already began work on PHNL and another one. They plan on doing all the island airports (or so they claim) as a complete set of projects. I hope you'll will make your projects to be compatible with each others.

Thanks again. :wavey:

Helldiver
November 28th, 2009, 06:12
Thomas Weiss - I still can't get on either as Helldiver or Helldiver1.

ThomasDWeiss
November 28th, 2009, 06:33
Thomas Weiss - I still can't get on either as Helldiver or Helldiver1.

sent you a PM with your login info :)

Roger
November 28th, 2009, 09:22
Very good!:applause: These islands will fit nicely around my Mega scenery Oahu.

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2009, 09:30
Very good!:applause: These islands will fit nicely around my Mega scenery Oahu.

Frankly after seeing this scenery, I rather have them do Oahu too, and replace my MegaScenery! :applause:

RSorochak
November 28th, 2009, 09:40
Frankly after seeing this scenery, I rather have them do Oahu too, and replace my MegaScenery! :applause:
Thank you. The plan was to start on the west end of the island chain and move east. So Niihau is first (a good learning experience) followed by Kauai. Oahu will be next. Then Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and Maui will follow in no predetermined order. The Big Island will be last.

Or that's the current plan, anyway. I also have the state of Utah that I'd like to work on a bit, too.

Rich

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2009, 09:54
I know the readme says to take off from PAK on Kauai and fly 270, but I prefer PHBK and fly 240. Of course Barking Sands has helicopter pads. :icon_lol:

Looks great as your approaching the "Forbidden Island".

I use the FS Dreamscapes NEXTMap Pro Mesh for Hawaii, which is a higher resolution mesh than FS Genesis, but the Niihau scenery fits nearly perfectly over this mesh too.

All scenery details of the ranch are great, I had wished the helicopter pad and equipment the U.S. Navy has on Paniau Ridge would have been depicted as well. But that is an extremely personal preference (rotorhead, sorry), and I am still very grateful for this amazing, outstanding, freeware scenery. :applause: (Although I think donations are in order)

REALLY, REALLY, looking forward to the upcoming "Garden Isle" release. Kauai has really needed some attention for years for FSX. :jump:

JamesChams
November 28th, 2009, 11:58
Nice Screens shots! :ernae:

Thank you. The plan was to start on the west end of the island chain and move east. So Niihau is first (a good learning experience) followed by Kauai. Oahu will be next. Then Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and Maui will follow in no predetermined order. The Big Island will be last.

Or that's the current plan, anyway. I also have the state of Utah that I'd like to work on a bit, too.

RichMr. Rich "rsoro01,"
Sound like a good plan... And another question: will you be doing autogen with it or is it strictly Photoreal Ground Textures? I haven't tried it out yet (but, will tonight after my chores are done). However, I can see some autogen from the users who've posted screenshots. Just wondering if GEX will poke through as autogen or are you doing your own like OZx etc.

Looking forward to the rest of Hawaii looking as great as this. Thanks! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon14.gif

LordAkshay798
November 28th, 2009, 12:14
Is there a nice FREEWARE mesh for this island? BTW, this thread deserves a sticky.

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2009, 12:26
Yes, Raimondo Taburet's Hawaii freeware mesh is available at:
http://www.simviation.com/fsx_terrainmesh.htm

But FS Dreamscape's NEXTMap Hawaii Pro mesh is only $14.95 and well worth the price, if you choose to upgrade, and I guess if you fly around Hawaii frequently, like I do. It has some pretty incredible detail, especially in some of the very narrow canyons on Kauai: (screenshots of Wai'alae Falls)
http://www.fsdreamscapes.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=12&category_id=5

NoNewMessages
November 28th, 2009, 12:40
Is there a nice FREEWARE mesh for this island? BTW, this thread deserves a sticky.

Uhmmm, why yes, there is. You can find it here; http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php?type=item&ID=147&page=0

Still waiting for someone to show me pictures where 5m displays better than 10m on the fly... :kilroy:

Dain Arns
November 28th, 2009, 12:41
Look above your post! :icon_lol:

It was a tight fit even for the MD500, but I made it. :d

EDIT: And honestly, I think Hawaii is the only place I could see where 5m mesh works well, or maybe other areas with steep, deep canyons. I agree, I think 10m works fine for most of the rest of the planet.

Daube
November 28th, 2009, 13:54
Uhmmm, why yes, there is. You can find it here; http://www.simviation.com/simviation/index.php?type=item&ID=147&page=0

Still waiting for someone to show me pictures where 5m displays better than 10m on the fly... :kilroy:

The Mt St.Helens included in Acceleration has a 2 or 3 meters mesh. It's quite impressive, and yes you can see the difference with 10m meshes very well.
But I admit the area is quite limited, it would be interesting to see a much wider area (like, a part of the Alps) with that same resolution :pop4:

RSorochak
November 28th, 2009, 16:50
...will you be doing autogen with it or is it strictly Photoreal Ground Textures?
There are some scenery objects (as opposed to autogen) included--some buildings and trees. Additionally, there are two settings available. With your scenery complexity slider set to "Normal" you will see roughly half of it. With it set to "Extremely dense" all of it will appear. The objects included are some of the buildings in or near the main "village" and some trees in the same area. Also there is a single building set elsewhere. I included that because it's existence is very obvious in the satellite imagery.

...I use the FS Dreamscapes NEXTMap Pro Mesh for Hawaii, which is a higher resolution mesh than FS Genesis, but the Niihau scenery fits nearly perfectly over this mesh too...
That's good to know. Thanks. There are so many possible variations with this sim. Interestingly, though, I sometimes find that I prefer the default FSX mesh. You get less of the pixel smearing that you otherwise see on the extreme vertical surfaces hi-res meshes can provide.

Rich

heywooood
November 28th, 2009, 18:00
I agree with that last bit especially - I had FS Genesis and have since uninstalled it for both the extreme vertical surface 'smearing' and the airport plateau problem

thank you to RSorochak for this exceptional little island - much appreciated :ernae:

flewpastu
November 29th, 2009, 06:04
What agreat piece of work, cant wait for the rest of it, Well Done.

Bill

ThomasDWeiss
December 3rd, 2009, 02:40
I bought FS Dreamscapes NEXTMap Pro Mesh for Hawaii to give it a try, the terrain looks better, but there is the plateau effect on the airports - does anyone know of a fix for this ?

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 03:09
I bought FS Dreamscapes NEXTMap Pro Mesh for Hawaii to give it a try, the terrain looks better, but there is the plateau effect on the airports - does anyone know of a fix for this ?

ADE
http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

ThomasDWeiss
December 3rd, 2009, 03:14
it is a cool app ! going to send that link to Ironhand

it is a pity it does not solve the mesh problem - probably the best thing will be to use the other mesh

MCDesigns
December 3rd, 2009, 05:11
it is a cool app ! going to send that link to Ironhand

it is a pity it does not solve the mesh problem - probably the best thing will be to use the other mesh

The plateaus are caused by the airport background being at a different level than the mesh. You can change that with ADE, Simply exclude the airport background and apply your own flatten to match the mesh.

Keepo in mind, it is best to provide a mesh with your addon, because many users will not want to buy another product to get something to work.

RSorochak
December 3rd, 2009, 13:17
FWIW, I designed the scenery using FSX's default mesh. It happens to work OK, for the most part, with FSGenesis's mesh as well as ProMesh's but neither is a requirement. Providing yet another mesh--something I haven't a clue how to create--is something I'd rather not get into. Besides, if I did, then I'd have someone complaining that my mesh was interfering with their preferred mesh. :) That's the downside of user customization.

Rich

NoNewMessages
December 3rd, 2009, 14:49
Mesh and airport elevation / plateaus can be intertwined, but let's look at a couple of places on Kaua'i for reference. Lihue - PHLI sits at the edge of the ocean and has some sloping areas down to the water. It also has some significant elevation changes in the airport structure itself. Default mesh hides that, addon mesh exposes it. Princeville - HI01, over on the north side is primarily a helicopter base for tourists and rich people. There's another significant drop in elevation as you point towards the water. Default, low-quality mesh covers that up and addon mesh exposes the elevation change with a large plateau.

Of the two, I would rather deal with the plateaus and have everything else be in higher res mesh, than put up with ill defined landscapes from the default, low quality mesh. When FS11 hits I'm hoping they will finally give the ability to have a non-flat airport area.:applause:

Roger
December 3rd, 2009, 14:56
....When FS11 hits I'm hoping they will finally give the ability to have a non-flat airport area.:applause:

Since the Aces team were disbanded early on this year, where will FsXI come from?

heywooood
December 3rd, 2009, 15:43
I thought I could overlook the plateau effect too, with aftermarket mesh....but after a while it just bugs the cheese outta me - and since the terrain mesh around KORS Orcas Island is pretty darn good (and thats where I mainly fly), I uninstalled it and use the default now.

except for where I have Holgers meshes that is :applause:

Dain Arns
December 3rd, 2009, 21:59
FWIW, I designed the scenery using FSX's default mesh. It happens to work OK, for the most part, with FSGenesis's mesh as well as ProMesh's but neither is a requirement. Providing yet another mesh--something I haven't a clue how to create--is something I'd rather not get into. Besides, if I did, then I'd have someone complaining that my mesh was interfering with their preferred mesh. :) That's the downside of user customization.

Rich

My 2 cents, just work with the default mesh, Rich. Looks wonderful as is.

If I want to use 5m mesh instead, well, that's my headache to deal with. :icon_lol:

RSorochak
December 4th, 2009, 03:08
My 2 cents, just work with the default mesh, Rich. Looks wonderful as is.

If I want to use 5m mesh instead, well, that's my headache to deal with. :icon_lol:
:) That's 2 cents well spent...and that's my intention. There are too many variables due to the amount of customization out there to make it perfect for everyone.

Rich

RSorochak
December 17th, 2009, 03:10
Just wanted to bump this once to let people know that my Niihau scenery is now available for download here at SOH: The Hawaiian Islands - Niihau (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=15458).

Rich

jeansy
December 17th, 2009, 03:24
helldiver if you cant register there the file is at avsim

dont worry i gave up trying to register there myself after many attempts

opps bit late

Dain Arns
December 17th, 2009, 03:30
Uh, it's available here now too, jeansy.... :icon_lol:

jeansy
December 17th, 2009, 03:34
Uh, it's available here now too, jeansy.... :icon_lol:

i noticed, i didnt get that far reading the posts before i posted mine

BOOM
December 17th, 2009, 06:49
Fantastic work Rich!! Thank You for the early X-mass gift!!!:ernae:

RSorochak
December 17th, 2009, 14:42
Fantastic work Rich!! Thank You for the early X-mass gift!!!:ernae:
You're quite welcome. Enjoy. :)

I was actually hoping to have Kauai ready for Christmas release but that definitely won't happen. Still too much to be done and not enough hours in the day. But I'll post some WIP screens or, perhaps, something else sometime soon.

Rich