PDA

View Full Version : Warning! - Sinkhole!

Tako_Kichi
November 27th, 2009, 17:18
For the past few weeks I have been busy pushing polys around instead of painting but tonight I decided to actually do some flying in FSX instead of starting it 30 times a day just check out my latest models!

I was flying a few legs on my New England airfields tour in awful weather (10/10 cloud cover at about 500 ft AGL, intermittent sleet, strong winds, visibility about 2-3 miles) when what do I see appearing out of the murk on approach to my target airfield................

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_205949.jpg

....a huge, ring shaped, sink hole complete with buildings at the bottom!

The view the other way was not much better either.........

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_210033.jpg

.... part of the lake is up on the plateau and part at the bottom of the cliff.

To make matters worse the lake is also home to two water runways so anyone trying to land there with a floater is going to have some fun!

If anyone is interested in taking a look for themselves the strip on the left is identified as Chase Jr. Memorial (44B) in FSX.

cheezyflier
November 27th, 2009, 17:30
the giant sunami in fs9 was always good for a laugh too. i think it's somewhere in the antartic, but i don't remember clearly.

MCDesigns
November 27th, 2009, 17:46
Wow, that is jacked up, same in my sim. I can fix it if you need, just let me know.

Tako_Kichi
November 27th, 2009, 17:55
No problem Michael, I have the tools to fix it if I wanted to but I have already moved on several more legs in the tour and I doubt I will ever be back there.

Although thinking about it I still need to visit there on my waterports tour too! Oh well at least I know to avoid the cliff now! :icon_lol:

Tylerb59
November 27th, 2009, 18:01
Checkout "CO95" (Wilson's Ranch) in Colorado :)

Discovered it flying north out of Telluride.

Piglet
November 27th, 2009, 19:06
I love these goofs. Heck, if I ever made a flightsim, I would add a "what if"
part to the world, and have all kinds of whacky terrain.

srgalahad
November 28th, 2009, 05:23
Two thoughts come to mind..

FSX was supposed to be better than FS9 for some of these issues.. oops..

It's understandable that there were differences between the mesh data and the reported elevations of airports, but you'd think they'd have done a bit more "proofreading" before release. Sure - 20,000+ airports to look at, but it's more likely hotshot programmers having too much blind faith in "data" and a "rush" put on by the bean-counters.

Overall it's inconsequential, but it does make it look like shoddy work, even if some are hilarious.

Shylock
November 28th, 2009, 07:55
I used to have that with a lake near El Centro. It would go down to -43,000 ft. Funny. But a few updates of UTX later and it was fixed. In the first pic I wonder how one would go about walking up from that building lol.

Tako_Kichi
November 28th, 2009, 08:07
In the first pic I wonder how one would go about walking up from that building lol.
It would require a good pair of climbing boots and lots of pitons and rope that is for sure! :icon_lol:

srgalahad
November 28th, 2009, 09:06
In the first pic I wonder how one would go about walking up from that building lol.

Didn't you know?? It's a secret research lab for the Florida Department of Highways into "the creation and maintenance of sinkholes". There's an elevator in the central tower to the helipad on top. All the walls are ice (for security) and is in New England because, as we know, in Florida ice is only found in drinks and a couple of empty hockey arenas.

Kiwikat
November 28th, 2009, 09:10
I recall in FS9 there was a HUGE hole near Springfield, Missouri. It was at least 20,000 feet deep and about 12 miles long and at least a few miles wide. I used to dogfight down in there with friends. :icon_lol:

cheezyflier
November 28th, 2009, 13:24
I recall in FS9 there was a HUGE hole near Springfield, Missouri. It was at least 20,000 feet deep and about 12 miles long and at least a few miles wide. I used to dogfight down in there with friends. :icon_lol:

there was another one surrounding a runway in the congo. and somewhere, a pole that was so tall i was never able to fly high enough to see the top of it.

Tako_Kichi
November 28th, 2009, 14:10
There is a peak in the Swiss Alps that looks a bit funky too. It suddenly shoots up a sharp spike before resuming the 'normal' contours again.

JIMJAM
November 28th, 2009, 14:22
There is a mini grand canyon that runs next to Cobb County airport just N of Atlanta. I fly into that airport alot. Its one of those "how did they miss that" kind irritating flaws. My biggest gripe is alot of airports always have at least one huge tree just off the end of the runway. All I can do it turn doen the autogen. I understand there is some sort of magic box you can place there and eliminate them but I have not seen a tutorial or the program to do it.

Tako_Kichi
November 28th, 2009, 16:21
Try searching the AVSIM library for

agexcl_3x.zip

and

agexcl_5x.zip

These files will extend the exclude area for every airfield in FSX so that the trees start further out from the end of the runway.

The 3x file extends by three times the runway width while the 5x file extends by five times the runway width.

They work well and get rid of those annoying trees right on the centreline on the perimeter fence.

Longers
November 28th, 2009, 20:32
There's another deep sinkhole near KLEX (Bluegrass AP)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/Longers_2008/KLEX_2.jpg

There's more detailed at this site http://www.simtours.net/

Longers

Dougie
November 29th, 2009, 12:00
Check out this...
<object height="344" width="425">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaY1denEnRs
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EaY1denEnRs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object><object height="344" width="425"></object>
TopDollar made a great video here :D

peter12213
November 29th, 2009, 14:52
That actually looks stragely fun lol.

cheezyflier
November 30th, 2009, 19:28
i went there on my sim and it was just like the video. if you fly to the bottom of the hole, the rest of the airport is 5,000' down. once you get about 7/8ths of the way down the runway you magically pop up to the top.