PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Laptop

aeromed202
November 27th, 2009, 13:05
After mulling the advise offered here at SOH we finally decided on a laptop for the college student:

ASUS K60, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.1GHz, Windows 7
320G HD, 4G RAM, 16" monitor, Intel 4 Series graphics

for $499. Off the shelf it seemed it would be fine for papers, surfing, and of course music. We opted out of the 3-item deal of a desk-top, laptop, and netbook for $1200 since we can make use of what will be handed down to the next in line. Everybody seems happy.

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 13:07
Good choice, though I know I'd prefer dedicated graphics, even if really cheap. My integrated graphics in my netbook doesn't even like high quality youtube videos.

ASUS is one of the best brands out there right now. :applause:

Chacha
November 27th, 2009, 13:13
Great buy!

The college student must be very happy.... :engel016:

Dain Arns
November 27th, 2009, 13:23
I always said I never needed a laptop. However after breaking down and buying one, it has really been very handy to have. Its great to have a mobile computer.

In fact, while my father was undergoing some tests for a few hours the other day, the waiting room had wireless access. Its nice to have that ability to keep in touch with everyone.

Cloud9Gal
November 27th, 2009, 15:07
I always said I never needed a laptop. However after breaking down and buying one, it has really been very handy to have. Its great to have a mobile computer.

In fact, while my father was undergoing some tests for a few hours the other day, the waiting room had wireless access. Its nice to have that ability to keep in touch with everyone.

I agree Dain! I love the mobility that comes with a laptop. I have the full PC setup upstairs in my office and we keep the laptop downstairs.

Cloud9Gal
November 27th, 2009, 15:09
After mulling the advise offered here at SOH we finally decided on a laptop for the college student:

ASUS K60, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.1GHz, Windows 7
320G HD, 4G RAM, 16" monitor, Intel 4 Series graphics

for $499. Off the shelf it seemed it would be fine for papers, surfing, and of course music. We opted out of the 3-item deal of a desk-top, laptop, and netbook for $1200 since we can make use of what will be handed down to the next in line. Everybody seems happy.

Two thumbs up on the purchase! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-864.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Character-Smileys/)

I'm sure the "kiddo" is very appreciative and will make good use of it!

aeromed202
November 27th, 2009, 15:20
'Course poop, we pick it up after Geeks have removed the crapware and there was no power cord, oops. Back tomorrow.

Chacha
November 27th, 2009, 15:38
'Course poop, we pick it up after Geeks have removed the crapware and there was no power cord, oops. Back tomorrow.

Eeeek!:isadizzy:

Ickie
November 27th, 2009, 15:41
good luck with ASUS if you need it repaired.

aeromed202
November 27th, 2009, 16:29
Well 1, we have 2 weeks to return it without a re-stocking fee and 2, there is a local comp store that is run and staffed by normal geeks. They are quite happy to work with people to get things the way you want.
Is there poor support for ASUS repairs?

BTW I also need to return a dead external HD "Simpletech 250G". Computer won't recognize it when I plug it in. Problem is I don't know where to send it as the warranty section of the web site does not say where. Any ideas??

aeromed202
November 28th, 2009, 15:49
The saga continues. As she is playing with this thing she is getting flustered at some of the "improvements" seemingly done because only they can. Chief of these are task bar thumbnails, which are supposedly much wanted items, but she would really like them to be gone. Most sites lead one to alter the W7 brain function in the registry to do this. I am not at all ok with messing with registries so is there another way?

Ickie
November 28th, 2009, 15:59
I sent asus my 3 month old monitor and had to pay 50 bucks to boot, it came back destroyed by not packing it the way I sent it to them just like the factory packed it, I saved everything. Then they wanted 50 more bucks and would only send me a used one. we went round and round then they refused to accept my emails, the monitor is a 27" LCD and is in the junk pile since then.

safn1949
November 30th, 2009, 07:01
I bought an Asus laptop....lasted 7 days and completely failed,wouldn't even boot up in safe mode.

One word : Toshiba

On my 4th one,all upgrades,very happy with them.:USA-flag:

Moparmike
November 30th, 2009, 07:52
Like Ickie posted, ASUS has had some terrible customer support the past couple years.

I've had good luck with ASUS motherboards in the past, but recently you hear lots of stories like Ickie's about hardware dying and the poor support to get it exchanged/repaired/etc.

Ditto SAFN49's post:
Toshiba lappys have treated me very well and I will definitely be considering them again on my next purchase. The Satellite Pro that I'm using now has been carried all over the place and had it's share of abuse over the past 5 years and just still keeps ticking along. Had another Satellite and one Tecra besides that one and they were solid Toshibas too.

Lionheart
November 30th, 2009, 08:41
Apples and oranges... err lemons..

You can load either WinXP or Win7 in them.

Costs a bit more, but its high quality. I'll say no more..

Bill

JorisVandenBerghe
November 30th, 2009, 10:40
I was going to say that, Bill :kilroy:! If you are willing to spend the money on it, get a MacBook Pro. Even only the touchpad and the keyboard are worth the price (I love the touchpad, it's far superior to any notebook I've seen...). And you get a great iLife suite with it, as with any other Mac of course. They're really great machines...powerful, light (especially the 13" version, about 2 kg), very nicely designed and equipped with a great operating system...Snow Leopard. Basically: there's nothing to complain about it - expect the bit more you'll pay for it.

Ok, I'll stop my advertising for Apple for now :icon_lol:.

Bjoern
November 30th, 2009, 16:37
I'd rather sell my grandmother than give away one of these:

http://www.laptop007.com/cms/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/24ffbd7d223353ee860f3816bc5f51ef.jpg

And one for Bill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0
:d

Lionheart
November 30th, 2009, 17:26
Another one that is really nice to have is a used Alienware... POWERFUL!!!!!

Note; before they were bought out, they made incredible laptops. Dual HD's, could run FS in them well.... Lucky to find them in great condition on Ebay these days..

Bill