PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 REALLY isn't my idea.

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 09:53
After my second blue screen of death just now, I am seriously considering going back to Vista 64 Ultimate. I NEVER had a bluescreen with Vista Ultimate 64 that wasn't directly my fault.

Is anyone else having a rough time with w7? Why am I the only one that seems to be having problems with it? :isadizzy:

Helldiver
November 27th, 2009, 10:30
Windows 7 is a great improvement over Windows Vista and only marginally better than Windows XP. I would say people that are enjoying Windows XP to save your money. It will take several SPs before they get it straightened out. The User Access Control (UAC) is still a problem and trips you all the time. "Are you sure you want to download this pile if s**t "
Search is every where except it can't find it's own shoelaces. All Microsoft did to patch up Windows Vista and rushed Windows 7 out to save face.

Lionheart
November 27th, 2009, 11:01
After my second blue screen of death just now, I am seriously considering going back to Vista 64 Ultimate. I NEVER had a bluescreen with Vista Ultimate 64 that wasn't directly my fault.

Is anyone else having a rough time with w7? Why am I the only one that seems to be having problems with it? :isadizzy:

If I am correct, Win7 doesnt handle nuclear powered fission chips well. If you have over 12,000 gighrz chips or more on your quad motherboard setup, then this might happen. The computer is running faster then the OS and causing a time anomaly or temporary time rift within the OS and the chip commands reaction timing. (Imagine the body reacting faster then the mind can give it commands.

I guess this is what happens if your computer is just toooooo powerful..

Maybe attach some heaters to the super cooled 16 quad chippies and slow it down a tad and see if it runs more stable..

:d

Bill

(You know Im just kiddin with yah KK... ).

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 11:13
Hey Bill it won't be long until laser and quantum processors will be the norm! :173go1:

I looked in the error logs and it would seem that my two bsod's were caused by nvidia driver epic fails. Grrr... Nvidia really needs to get some better w7 drivers. The newest ones cause my FSX to flicker like crazy so I am stuck with some older ones.

I'm so glad Xubuntu doesn't screw up like that. :engel016:

Moparmike
November 27th, 2009, 11:33
So far, Win7HP64 is running much better for me than Vista64Ult has.
But granted, my Win7 rig is a new i7 rig where I was running Vista on an old dual-core AthlonX2...not really an apples to apples hardware comparison. As soon as I get a few more spare SATA harddrives laying around I'll monkey around with Vista on this new machine too just to compare em.
I am seriously considering upgrading my mom's Vista rig to 7 though...it's an older dual-core AthlonX2 like my old FS computer and Vista does freak it out every now and then.

I did have a few hangups getting with my FSX/Acceleration install going...due to a UAC issue. But I had similar UAC problems with Vista too. Other than that, I've got some of my old software percolating just fine in Win7.

I'm still just perfectly happy with XPPro and have no plans on upgrading the OS on several of my older rigs still running XP.

To paraphrase their ad campaign, "7 isn't my idear" either.
I still don't like the new Vista/7 user interface and the UAC stuff is a royal PitA at times...even if I give a startup/taskbar program full admin control I've got a few that still ask for permission at every boot. Coming from my Linux experience, I do like the security advantages of the UAC stuff...but I would like the ability to tell the OS only one time that I approve this program to run at every boot instead of clicking yes every time I reboot.
When XP was new, I didn't like the "new" interface either and it took me a while to adjust to it...but now, it's second-nature to me and I've really gotta think when I go back and work on a 95/98/ME machine. I'm sure the Vista/7 layout will grow on me eventually too...

It's all relative. After it's matured a bit, 7 will stabilize out. We'll learn how to do all the magic tweaks to it, MS will make SPs for it, etc..., just like we did for XP a few years ago. It falls into MS's cycle of a good OS (or FS version) alternating with a real porker.

95...dud
98...a little better than 95
98SE...good
ME...dud, and the death knell for the 95 code-base

NT4.0...too many service packes but good
Win2k...good (finally...after how many service packs though?)
XP...dud, new user interface, forced everyone to relearn their OS habits.
XPSP1...better
XPSP2...good
XPSP3...good, but just a routine roll-up of all the security updates.
Vista...bloated, another instance of having to reelarn how to use the OS
VistaSP1...an improvement
VistaSP???...still getting better.
Win7...same user interface as Vista. Streamlined code. Software makers are still adjusting to the "improvements". Overall, I'm impressed so far.

It's the same old cycle all over again. It'll get better, we'll get used to it, the software makers will learn to program for it, then the next version will come out and we start over again. :d

Moparmike
November 27th, 2009, 11:41
I'm so glad Xubuntu doesn't screw up like that. :engel016:

You're just not trying hard enough yet Kiwi! :d

I've broken Ubuntu & Debian more times than I can count...intentionally or unintentionally. It's getting better, but the easy distros like Ubuntu would completely baffle many regular Windows users too. It's better than the "old days" of Linux distros where you had to be the uber-geek to even install a 3d video driver though!
Just like with Winders, it's nice to have all the fancy little wizards to manage the OS but it always helps to know how to tweak around behind the scenes too. Just for those times when it does break.

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 11:44
I guess the difference this time is that W7 itself is working fine. I'm not overly impressed with it, but it is running smooth and it boots really fast. It certainly isn't any worse than Vista SP2.

Nvidia seems to be my culprit. :rocket:

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 11:48
You're just not trying hard enough yet Kiwi! :d

I've broken Ubuntu & Debian more times than I can count...intentionally or unintentionally. It's getting better, but the easy distros like Ubuntu would completely baffle many regular Windows users too. It's better than the "old days" of Linux distros where you had to be the uber-geek to even install a 3d video driver though!
Just like with Winders, it's nice to have all the fancy little wizards to manage the OS but it always helps to know how to tweak around behind the scenes too. Just for those times when it does break.

:icon_lol:

I've had maybe two kernel panic's in the few years I've been using Ubuntu and Xubuntu. Of course I have had minor problems with drivers and such, but nothing I haven't been able to fix with the help of forums and websites.

It is really amazing how far the Ubuntu series has come. It might not be for the very beginner, but anyone with a few years of computer experience probably wouldn't have a problem with 9.04 or 9.10.

Moparmike
November 27th, 2009, 12:15
Yup, it really has made leaps forward to getting the Linux OS more "computer-dummy friendly".

I even left my Ubuntu laptop down at the farm for a couple weeks for mom to use while I was working on her machine for a while.
Once I got her set up with the basics of using Firefox (she had been used to IE) she didn't have any problems with it.
Heck, the next time I came home she was asking how to get a couple letters she had typed up & saved in OpenOffice copied onto her regular machine. She normally uses MS Office, and didn't even ask for help on what program she needed to type up the letters... That was a surprise! As she puts it, she's my "basic computer dummy" guinea pig. :d

Moparmike
November 27th, 2009, 12:19
I guess the difference this time is that W7 itself is working fine. I'm not overly impressed with it, but it is running smooth and it boots really fast. It certainly isn't any worse than Vista SP2.

Nvidia seems to be my culprit. :rocket:

Yup...I've seen those Win7 Nvidia driver hiccups posted here and other sites. That's one reason why I haven't tried anything beyond the default Nvidia driver that shipped with my new Dell...It's working good for me, so I'm just gonna hold out until I need to upgrade the driver. Now, if you're putting together your own rig you dn't have that option...so I can understand that frustration!

Bjoern
November 27th, 2009, 12:48
Windows 7 is the best OS (from Microsoft) ever.

It runs even faster than XP on my laptop!

Snuffy
November 27th, 2009, 13:02
Still haven't bought it ... probably won't till I get a new computer to run it on. :)

Though with the questions to your BSOD Kiwi, I have to wonder if perhaps it doesn't have to do with existing hardware not having drivers sufficient for the O.S.?

Or possibly noncompatable with the O.S. Not so much the O.S.'s fault.

(did that make any sense? :isadizzy:)

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 13:04
A GTX280 is most definitely compatible with W7, so its not a compatibility issue. Nvidia drivers are known to be the leading cause of BSOD's by far. In fact someone did a study on it and it was an overwhelming percentage.

Dangerousdave26
November 27th, 2009, 13:10
Kiwikat

I hope it gets better for you

I am absolutely amazed you are having these issues with Nvidia. My old GeForce 7800 GS AGP card runs with the newest drivers with out a problem.

Maybe you should try and down load the drivers and install them again. This just does not seem correct at all.

gigabyte
November 27th, 2009, 13:19

Kwiikat, I have been quite impressed with Win7 so far although like you I did not have any real problem with Vista (none tht were not self inflected) it worked rather well for me, the one question that comes to mind is did you upgrade or do a fresh install? I know MS offers nicely bundled "Upgrade" packages, but I have yet to do an upgrade that was trouble free. If you upgraded over Vista you might seriously consider starting over and doing a fresh install of Win7

I do really like the XPMode virtual machine in Win7 it is excellent and allow me to run a couple of legacy apps that I have not been able to replace. I did set up a dual boot with Vista 32, and Win7 64 (I know it should be looking for trouble) and it has been flawless so far, and interestingly I can access install programs from both Vista and 7 if the app is installed on an alternate drive from the OS boot disk. My set-up is a little tricky but it works well for me.

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 13:25
Since I went from Vista 64 Ultimate to W7 64 Pro, I had to do a fresh install. Technically it was a "downgrade".

I don't know for sure, but I think the drivers are also causing my FPS loss in FSX. With the 182.somethin (50?) in Vista I was getting 10-20 fps more, even with a complex plane like the J41. I am really missing running FSX at 60 fps. Now I've got to settle for 30 or so with my less impacting planes such as the Carenado Saratoga.

harleyman
November 27th, 2009, 13:57
Win7 and ATI drivers are no problems at all..

Running stellar so far..

Only draw back is my scanner on my all in one will not work with Win7 just yet...

full
November 27th, 2009, 15:48
Kiwikat Im running W7 and had the same problem as you but i had it when i was installing W7 which took about 10 installs to get it working properly ! it is a Nvidia driver problem as i found out, just search the web. Im still running on early 190.?? drivers which work, but i dont want to upgrade incase it BSOD's.

Kiwikat
November 29th, 2009, 22:08
Woohoo!!!

With the help of this video: http://vimeo.com/7533068

I now have my old beloved 182.50 drivers back, as well as my fps!

40 FPS MD-11 VC here I come!!! :bump:

I had to edit my signature too ;)

safn1949
November 30th, 2009, 06:52
I have it on 2 computers,this $400 laptop and a real dog of a desktop with 1 gig of ram and a 1.2 or so Celeron.In other words,junk.It runs great on both,only minor problem is a lack of sound chipset driver for the junker and I don't expect they will ever release one for it.

But it is going to be the 4 yr old's computer soon and I will go back to XP so she can have sound,I would never go back to XP for any other reason.