PDA

View Full Version : tricked again

cheezyflier
November 26th, 2009, 05:23
i got the newsletter from flightsim.com, and at the end is the mention of a freeware C-130J for fsx. the filename is c130j30_4x.zip. i d/l it and it's not for fsx!!! it's a port!!! aaauuuugghhhh!!!!!!:mad:

however, it's a cool model otherwise. can anyone tell me if i could use it in fs9?

cheezyflier
November 26th, 2009, 10:44
bump

Brian_Gladden
November 26th, 2009, 10:47
If that's the PAD one, they have an FS 9 version as well.

Brian

Kiwikat
November 26th, 2009, 11:21
Flightsim.com is notorious for doing that. :mixedsmi: :173go1:

IanP
November 26th, 2009, 11:46
The files are uploaded to whichever section the author says they should be, so if PAD say it's FSX, it'll appear in the FSX section.

Don't shoot the messenger for the message someone else told them to carry!

bobmay
November 26th, 2009, 14:45
If the flight sim sites introduce a download category of "FS9 models that work in FSX without problems" then we'll be glad to post there. Until then, we will carry on producing FS9 and FSX compatible versions of our models and posting the FSX compatible version in the FSX download section.

Bob
PAD

cheezyflier
November 26th, 2009, 15:22
If the flight sim sites introduce a download category of "FS9 models that work in FSX without problems" then we'll be glad to post there. Until then, we will carry on producing FS9 and FSX compatible versions of our models and posting the FSX compatible version in the FSX download section.

Bob
PAD

how about directly stating that it's non-native, for those of us who don't want ports in our sim? not that we don't appreciate what modelers do, but for the sake of clarity, it would make things much easier on many of us regular guys. at least a statement in the read me, if not in the download description would work really nice.

***just so it's understood, i like the model otherwise, and i'll be looking for the fs9 version. i wasn't cutting it down. my computer just can't handle port-overs, is all.

Bjoern
November 27th, 2009, 12:42
how about directly stating that it's non-native, for those of us who don't want ports in our sim?

How about just knowing what developers do what.

If I read "model by PAD", I know it's a port.

Kiwikat
November 27th, 2009, 13:02
how about directly stating that it's non-native, for those of us who don't want ports in our sim?

I don't know how you can expect freeware developers to do that when PAYWARE developers are STILL knowingly mislabeling products.

Though I agree with you! :engel016:

cheezyflier
November 27th, 2009, 13:17
i ended up deleting it, and getting the fs9 version for...fs9.
i actually like that version better, in that sim. like i said, it's a very cool model. the vc and 2-d have alot going on for a freeware model.
my computer just doesn't handle ports well. for me, keeping track of which developer does what just isn't something i'm interested in.
it would be alot easier for everyone, the other way.

FelixFFDS
November 27th, 2009, 13:31
Remember the rule of thumb - if it's labeled FS-X, and doesn't have a separate _INTERIOR.mdl file, it's (most probably) a port over.

MCDesigns
November 27th, 2009, 14:00
Remember the rule of thumb - if it's labeled FS-X, and doesn't have a separate _INTERIOR.mdl file, it's (most probably) a port over.

true, but rather than have to find that MDL, it would be better for FS sites to have a section for those that want to upload aircraft that are not native so that when we look at the FSX section we are actually d/ling an FSX aircraft.

...or how about just compiling with the FSX compiler, just a thought. :running:

IanP
November 27th, 2009, 14:51
Not quite that simple, Mike... You have to do all the animations and many of the clickspots/draggable controls in a different way. You also need to make all your materials again, using FSX rather than default materials. Converting an FS9 VC, particularly, to an FSX one is far more complex than just running a different compiler.

bobmay
November 27th, 2009, 14:59
...or how about just compiling with the FSX compiler, just a thought.

If only it were that simple Michael. Ask any developer what's involved in compiling an FS9 model into FSX ......mega work.

Of course we could drop FS9 development and go straight to FSX but that would be deserting thousands of loyal FS9 simmers.

We think we have the best solution.

Bob.
PAD

MCDesigns
November 27th, 2009, 16:50
Guys, I am well aware of what is involved, have done a couple of aircraft myself and the process is the same for scenery objects, at least for textures and animations, just on a smaller scale. My point was that to be called an FSX aircraft technically it should be compiled that way.

Bob, I do see your point, to produce for both sims, does basically involve making two separate aircraft because of the differences and incompatibilities, so I agree, in order to support the FS9 users and keep your development time down, you guys are doing the right thing. Maybe one day FS sites will see the light and have a section for non native FSX aircraft so users can chopse more specifically.

IanP
November 28th, 2009, 02:04
Maybe one day FS sites will see the light and have a section for non native FSX aircraft so users can chopse more specifically.

That's most certainly the solution I'd vote for too, but unfortunately I can't see it happening now.