PDA

View Full Version : Win XP 64-bit: ok for FS9 and FSX?

dswo
September 29th, 2008, 03:48
A serious system crash is forcing me to rebuild my rig.* I have ordered a newer, larger drive, and am trying to decide which operating system to install: Windows XP Pro, which is what I am using now, or Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

If I do move to 64, can I still run FS9 and FSX?

* Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, Q6600, Nvidia 8800GT, 4Gb RAM, X-fi Gamer sound

txnetcop
September 29th, 2008, 04:41
A serious system crash is forcing me to rebuild my rig.* I have ordered a newer, larger drive, and am trying to decide which operating system to install: Windows XP Pro, which is what I am using now, or Windows XP Pro 64-bit.

If I do move to 64, can I still run FS9 and FSX?

* Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard, Q6600, Nvidia 8800GT, 4Gb RAM, X-fi Gamer sound

Yes there are current drivers for it
Ted

dswo
September 29th, 2008, 05:04
I guess a further question, which should have been part of my first, is: is it worth it?

kilo delta
September 29th, 2008, 06:29
In order to fully utilise your 4GB of memory you'll need a 64bit OS.

fcfcfc
November 26th, 2008, 22:58
Is it simply as case of the more RAM the better when it comes to using 64bit or does framerate plateau off after 4-6 Gb?

Bjoern
November 27th, 2008, 09:51
XP64 will only help with Ram usage, installtion speeds and (un)zipping performance, not FPS.

I'm testing XP64 on my PC myself (no FSX experience yet though), by the way (after Vista 64 and Server 08 both gave me random BSODs on a-ok hardware), but I messed up my partitions on take one. That's why I'm typing this from my laptop as I move important files on my PC to safety.

I just *****ing hope that XP64 will be the end of my OS journey. I'm sick and tired of constant reinstallations...

fcfcfc
November 28th, 2008, 01:28
XP64 will only help with Ram usage, installtion speeds and (un)zipping performance, not FPS.

Thanks Bjoern, but indirectly I presume more RAM available to it would help to speed things up that would eventually result in better FPS would it not (sorry, I am still fairly ignorant)?

Butcherbird17
November 28th, 2008, 03:25
More ram will help with load times not fps, fsx is more dependent on the cpu.

Joe

fcfcfc
November 28th, 2008, 05:48
I see. Thanks Joe.

Bjoern
November 28th, 2008, 08:29
Thanks Bjoern, but indirectly I presume more RAM available to it would help to speed things up that would eventually result in better FPS would it not (sorry, I am still fairly ignorant)?

No, not at all.
The only way to get better FPS is more quicker video card than a faster CPU and more Ram.

However, a video card alone won't help with smoothness and calculation of other sim elements.

So a well balanced system is more important than a kick-arse video card paired with a weak CPU and little Ram.

P.S: I am somehow in love with XP64...hopefully no BSOD will spoil my honeymoom.