PDA

View Full Version : Night Flying Tips

RFields
November 25th, 2009, 05:45
I have used this as a reference in the past - a really neat guide to flying at night. And it covers some basics which are forgotten on occasion - especially about airport lights.

http://www.abacuspub.com/freepress/DontBeAfraidOfTheDark.pdf

Dangerousdave26
November 25th, 2009, 09:46
I have a very simple system I use for Night Flying.

Its called

Don't see Mountain.

Its followed by

Crash into Mountain.

Works like a charm every time. :ernae:

aeromed202
November 25th, 2009, 10:15
I have changed all of the panel lighting to much dimmer stuff, either red or green. Made a big difference in the night experience.

bpfowler
November 25th, 2009, 16:02
I gone to red light in all the VCs, and it really helps.
but Dave's methodology has a cruel efficiency.
thanks for the pdf!

PRB
November 25th, 2009, 16:56
It's amazing to learn what all those lights mean. There sure are a lot of them at the big airports. If I can manage to avoid the DanderousDave26 method of night landings, I like landing at night. In some ways the approach is made a bit easier by the sharply defined lit up runway. Makes judging approach angle a little easier for me. Of course, when there's a big giant thunderstorm hovering over the airport, or snow blizzard, and it's foggy, then it's hair raising! Had a couple of those once or twice during the RTW Race!

When making a night landing, I usually turn off the lights in the room. The real lights, over the desk. A darkened room helps a lot. Sometimes you can see that ridge line, just before you bump into it...