PDA

View Full Version : Default Flight as Previous Flight

PilatusTurbo
November 24th, 2009, 20:36
I'm back, and trying to make FSX workout. I've built a new rig, with nice and awesome Win 7 Pro 64 bit. However, I'm having a few critical issues which are killing my FSX hopes. I was quite excited to see how FSX runs on this new rig, but, it's just got these problems I can't figure out. I've searched everything online I can find, read NickN's stuff, and still stuff doesn't work.

I can't get the default flight to save as the previous flight like in FS9, and without that, it's gonna be kinda hard to enjoy the sim. I did the disable preload thing, but that's not quite what I needed.

Also, I can't seem to get V sync to work with DX 10 preview. I've read about the FSX.cfg tweaks, but some say it just won't work with DX10. What's the advantage with DX 10? I know V sync isn't the end all be all, but it looks aweful without it.

My Track IR is also acting up. Works fine in VC, but when I switch to spot view, it also functions as the panning hat then, instead of my joystick hat. Turning my head to see the airplane at different angles is nuts. :d

If I could get these few issues worked out, I'd be happy to jump in. Until I can figure these ones out, there's not much point.

Thanks All :ernae:

spotlope
November 24th, 2009, 20:52
I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the default flight/previous flight thing, but I have some other insights. First of all, as far as I know, v-sync doesn't work with the DX10 preview. In fact, there are a number of problems with the FSX DX10 functionality, which is why it's a "preview" and not a full-blown feature. I've tried it with both DX9 and DX10, and for my money, DX9 is the best way to get the full FSX experience without annoying side-effects.

Also, your TrackIR isn't acting up -- it does control the view in spot view as well as the VC. The only way around it that I know of is to assign a controller button to disable the TrackIR, so when you switch to spot view you can just switch it off, then back on once you're back in the VC.

I've been enjoying FSX for years without those issues being a big deal. Hopefully you can put them behind you and get down to some flying soon. :ernae:

PilatusTurbo
November 24th, 2009, 21:02
You fixed my Track IR issue; I have assigned space as the pause, but I don't know why I didn't think of just pausing it each time I move outside. :d

I'll try DX9, and see if I get the same performance.

However, the last issue of saves still exists. In FS9, there was an option to choose the previous flight, and below you could click a check box that said "Make this my default flight". I would like that in FSX, but I cannot find a way to make that work.

I don't want to reload my flight exactly where I last left off, and saving it and reloading it after each flight seems tedioius when FS9 did this for you with a click of a checkbox. :d :ernae:

jmig
November 25th, 2009, 03:23
You fixed my Track IR issue; I have assigned space as the pause, but I don't know why I didn't think of just pausing it each time I move outside. :d

I'll try DX9, and see if I get the same performance.

However, the last issue of saves still exists. In FS9, there was an option to choose the previous flight, and below you could click a check box that said "Make this my default flight". I would like that in FSX, but I cannot find a way to make that work.

I don't want to reload my flight exactly where I last left off, and saving it and reloading it after each flight seems tedioius when FS9 did this for you with a click of a checkbox. :d :ernae:
Do you have a registered version of FSUIPC? It allows you to auto save flights. Great for returning or when FSX dumps you halfway across the ocean. It will also allow you to program joystick buttons to recenter and pause the IRTrack.

Mathias
November 25th, 2009, 03:29
I can't get the default flight to save as the previous flight like in FS9, and without that, it's gonna be kinda hard to enjoy the sim. I did the disable preload thing, but that's not quite what I needed.

Unfortunately FSX does not allow you to automatically pick up where you previously left the game like the older versions do.
I too think it's a nice feature that the Aces let go for no good reason.
For a while I practiced to manually save my flight situation before I shut down the Sim but it got cumbersome so I now live with it as is.

PilatusTurbo
November 25th, 2009, 06:05
Yeah, that's kinda sad, but oh damn well I guess. :d

I'll try to stick with it. Afterall, when I got really excited to see FSX run as smooth as it did, I ran out and bought Megascenery X Phoenix at Fry's E, so I don't wanna just dump it right after 27 bucks into it. :d

I love Helis in FSX, even the default 206 flies waaay better than it did.

I'll see what I can do. Thanks fellas :ernae:

Stratocruiser
November 25th, 2009, 08:58
Get FSUIPC. It lets you add an item to the Load Flight list named "Previous Flight."

PilatusTurbo
November 25th, 2009, 09:27
OK Fellas, FSUIPC it be. :d I'll give it a shot for sure.

Paul Anderson
November 25th, 2009, 14:00
fsx.cfg:
[SIM]
SYSCLOCK=0 // uses saved flight time
[STARTUP]
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 // starts with default flight

in sim when done flying, hit:
P // pauses flight
; // save flight
X // your choice of save name, I use X,
check the box that says 'make this the default flight'

Next time you start FSX you should be right where you left off, hit P and go.

Paul Anderson
November 25th, 2009, 14:06
I use the P so I can go get a berr or do something while FSX loading and not worrying about flying into the side of a mountain while I'm gone.

Paul Anderson
November 25th, 2009, 14:29
Haven't seen mentioned before:
I use NHancer for NVidia card and like to fly low & slow.

game display - filtering trinlear, antialiasing not checked
weather - user defined/customized/advanced/visibility
set upper layer something like 50000 & lower to 49999
set visiblity to zero

nhancer - anisotropic filtering 8x

This gives me crisp scenery at great fps letting the card sort out the distance blurs. Your mileage may vary.

PilatusTurbo
November 25th, 2009, 16:29
Paul, excellent advice, sir. I'm going to give this a try, and it sounds like it'll work. I looked at FSUIPC, and I'm sorry, I just don't have another 30-35 bucks for a reg'd version that should do this. I'll try the freeware and honest route. :d

Thanks again Paul, this is what I was looking and hoping for. :ernae:
Be back soon with a 'whether or not it worked' report :d