PDA

View Full Version : FSD repaints

awj112
November 24th, 2009, 03:30
Has anyone been able to get any FSD international provided repaint to install for anything? I swear their repaints are harder to install than their aircraft. I am interested mostly in the C-17 and T-38. If anyone has any tips, please post.

Wing_Z
November 24th, 2009, 10:57
Ignore the instructions. :d
If I remember, I copied an existing texture folder, renamed it, and over-wrote with the new texture set.
That way I got the whole aircraft - hope this works for you...

Willy
November 24th, 2009, 11:18
If you're talking about the repaints downloaded from the FSD site, I'm running about 50% on them. The Cessna 337 Skymasters installed okay. But with the military version, the O-2 Skymaster, the provided repaint installers can't find FS and there's no way to browse to it. So I'm stuck there.

The FSD 337H Skymaster is my favorite GA aircraft and I'm glad I got it (currently racing it to Melbourne from London http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=24610 ). But if I had to do it over again, I'd leave the O-2 alone. And that's not just because of the repaints.

Wing_Z
November 24th, 2009, 11:32
Willy didn't you get a response from FSD about this issue?

Willy
November 24th, 2009, 11:41
Never did.

euroastar350
November 24th, 2009, 12:38
Glad you like my Death Machine skin for the Skymaster Willy:icon29:

Dangerousdave26
November 24th, 2009, 13:02
I have the Aerostar Superstar 700 and never had a problem with it.

I just copy the texture file to the FSD_Aerostar folder

Start the load manager

Make sure the paint shows up in the lower left hand box. (box says Formatted Paint Schemes)

They have all shown up I just click save and its done.

Take a look in your texture folder there should be a Paint.cfg file in there. Take a look at it what data is in it?

If you are missing that file I think the install will fail.

dogknot
November 24th, 2009, 13:30
If you're talking about the repaints downloaded from the FSD site, I'm running about 50% on them. The Cessna 337 Skymasters installed okay. But with the military version, the O-2 Skymaster, the provided repaint installers can't find FS and there's no way to browse to it. So I'm stuck there.

The FSD 337H Skymaster is my favorite GA aircraft and I'm glad I got it (currently racing it to Melbourne from London http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=24610 ). But if I had to do it over again, I'd leave the O-2 alone. And that's not just because of the repaints.

I've had the FSD Cessna O-2A since 2005 and can sympathize with your frustration. Here are some tips I've learned along the way that you might find helpful.

Open the "FSD 02A Load Manager.exe" located in the aircraft folder. Bottom-center is the "Stored Data" heading. Click the Manage button. From here you can browse and set your flightsim path. The 1st line is the path to the simulator and the 2nd line the path to the aircraft directory. Normally line 1 would be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9 and the aircraft directory at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\FSD O2A.
------------------------
Installing new paints:
make sure they have a "Paint.cfg" included in the new texture folder. The format (in bold) of the Paint.cfg is :

scheme=Default Paint scheme
ui_variation=Default
atc_id=21284
title=FSD Cessna O-2A Default
description=Cessna O2A by FSD for FS2004
glass=0

Install the new texture folder as usual, Run the Load Manager per instructions and Save.
-------------------------

You make changes to the aircraft.cfg or the panel.cfg, and you want them to be permanent:
They won't be unless you also make the changes in the "Loadout.cfg" that is contained in the Data folder.

---------------------------

Work Arounds:

New Paints: Make a copy of the default 0-2A "texture" folder, rename to the new texture name, install the 5 textures and Paint.cfg and overwrite.
Add the new paint to the aircraft.cfg as usual.
If you ever start up the Load Manager again, be sure to select the new aircraft and Save.

-------------------------------
Goofs:

Load Manager doesn't reproduce aim.bmp and the 2 Pilotsb_xxx bitmaps when installing new texture pkgs. I manually moved the 3 bitmaps into the new texture folders and the sight crosshairs returned to the VC military config (aim.bmp).

The Hobbs Meter resets to zero for each FS9 flight.
All the info in Stored Data of the Load Manager is at zero. I think this also makes the Maintenance & Operation section unusable.

--------------------------------

EDIT: Forgot this one. If you use your radios and want ATC to reference your 0-2A:
[General]
atc_type=Cessna
atc_model=02A //<--"Zero-Two-A" says Oh-Two-A //O2A--"Oh-Two-A" doesn't work
editable=0

-------------------------------

Hope this is helpful. Once you get by what doesn't work in the auto-prep stuff, the Oscar Deuce itself is a really nice looking and nice flying aircraft.

awj112
November 24th, 2009, 14:35
I'm working with the stupid executable auto install repanit kits. All of them have the problem Willy described sort of. I can browse to the path for FS 2004 but the installer never allows me to install. FSD went silent as soon ans I singled out the repaint installer as the problem by eliminating everything else. If anyone knows where I can get the textures for the C-17 (Altus AFB in particular), let me know.

dogknot
November 24th, 2009, 15:48
I didn't know FSD had a C-17.

Do you have a link?

OleBoy
November 24th, 2009, 15:53
Boy, dealing with the repaints sounds like a headache. FSD huh? I can't believe they won't fix something that should be so simple(Note to self; Do not buy FSD products)

Willy
November 24th, 2009, 16:53
Actually using the load manager program that comes with the aircraft, installing normal 3rd party repaints is about as easy as it gets. It's so easy that overthinking the process is possible. The ones I'm having difficulties with (and awj112 as well it seems) are the ones from the FSD website that come in an installer program. The ones for the civilian 337 Skymaster worked great for me. It was the two for the military O-2 Skymaster that I couldn't get to work at all. And as they're in an installer program, there's no way to access them to install in the normal manner. It's not that big a deal, but I did want that Navy paint for it.

As far as the product itself, as I said their Cessna 337 Skymaster is my favorite GA aircraft. It's the one that would be the first add on to be installed if I had to reinstall FS9.

dogknot
November 24th, 2009, 17:05
They (FSD) are getting more paranoid in their old age. :icon_lol:

I just picked up one of their auto-installers for the 0-2A (they didn't used to be like that!) and tried to install to a dummy FS9 install. No go.

Finally found 0-2A related goodies and added them to the mix and the installer did its thing without a hitch.

For the 0-2A, 02A.ini must be in the main Flight Simulator 9 folder and FSD License Info.txt must be in the ...\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft folder.

At least that's how it worked for me. I have the old version 1 Pilatus Porter also and it is set up even different from that. :isadizzy:

modelr
November 24th, 2009, 17:23
I didn't know FSD had a C-17.

Do you have a link?

It comes in a package deal with the T-38. Or, at least, it used to. (Haven't been back to website in awhile.)

modelr
November 24th, 2009, 17:46
What I don't like is their constant changing of the installers. If I haven't loaded an aircraft in awhile, the installers won't work, and give me instructions to redownload, sometimes 2-3 times before the installer will work. Gets very frustrating.

modelr
November 24th, 2009, 18:16

I just tried installing those paints, again. Had to redownload my 02A installer, AGAIN!, then after a successful install, the two texture installers said they "could not find a valid license!" I wish FSD would remove the textures from those installers and just post them straight up.

BTW, I already had a working installation of the 02A in my folder, I did the reinstall to try to help the texture installers.

awj112
November 24th, 2009, 18:45
It comes in a package deal with the T-38. Or, at least, it used to. (Haven't been back to website in awhile.)

Used to. I had to ask for it because they stopped combining them since people whined (my word) about the fact that it does not come with a 2D panel. Heck, I mostly fly from the VC anyway. All that needs is a good HUD and working add-on textures and I am good. The hud I can do but it is looking like their addon textures will never work. I was really hoping someone was able to install them.

I haven't had luck with the O-2 textures either. Pretty much fail the same way.

dogknot
November 24th, 2009, 18:48
I just tried installing those paints, again. Had to redownload my 02A installer, AGAIN!, then after a successful install, the two texture installers said they "could not find a valid license!" I wish FSD would remove the textures from those installers and just post them straight up.

BTW, I already had a working installation of the 02A in my folder, I did the reinstall to try to help the texture installers.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :isadizzy: :icon_lol:

almost humorous, ain't it?

awj112
November 24th, 2009, 18:51
They (FSD) are getting more paranoid in their old age. :icon_lol:

I just picked up one of their auto-installers for the 0-2A (they didn't used to be like that!) and tried to install to a dummy FS9 install. No go.

Finally found 0-2A related goodies and added them to the mix and the installer did its thing without a hitch.

For the 0-2A, 02A.ini must be in the main Flight Simulator 9 folder and FSD License Info.txt must be in the ...\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft folder.

At least that's how it worked for me. I have the old version 1 Pilatus Porter also and it is set up even different from that. :isadizzy:

Just tried the O-2. No dice and those files are the directories listed.

dogknot
November 24th, 2009, 19:12
awj112..........Willy.........check your PM's.........Don (modelr) too.

awj112
November 25th, 2009, 04:39
Thanks.

Tim_FSD
November 26th, 2009, 06:27

We are in fact in the process of putting all of our repaints in much more simple format to avoid these problems. The benefit of the installers is that they will automatically start the Load Managers and format the paint schemes. But there is obviously too much to go wrong.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

awj112
November 26th, 2009, 08:31
Thanks for the input and the support to correct the problem.