PDA

View Full Version : I gave the NFL a chance Sunday...

Wittpilot
November 23rd, 2009, 17:19
I am not an American Football fan... I prefer the European brand of football personally. I just find football boring compared to soccer... so much standing around, pads, a lot of butt slapping...... anyways.. I digress..

So Sunday I was at my mother-in-laws and she had basic cable so I decided to watch some NFL. Tuned in to the Browns & Lions... Good game... about 2 min left in the game, Lions down by 6 with the ball... and a box pops up that tells me that "Due to NFL contractual agreements, we now leave this game......yadda yadda yadda"...... WTF!!!!!! They go to another game... Okay, flip the channel... Giants are in OT, I'm a Manning fan, I'll watch this.... they break into OT to go to...... the post game report!!!! WTF???? We are leaving OT to go to the post game report???

Both games came down to the last play, neither of which was able to be viewed on my televison...... I give up..... That is just pathetic.....
Did anybody else encounter this?

-witt

Snuffy
November 23rd, 2009, 17:51
I get the same crap down here in J'ville all the time Witt.

CBS said that The Jets and the Patriots were supposed to be shown for the 4 o clock game ... well 4:15 rolls around and I'm in the middle of an overtime game between Pittsburgh ... and was it KC That beat em? 20098

As soon as the Overtime game was over, you know ... the one KC won, poof we're back in J'ville and they got the camera setup outside the stadium and they're doing a post game show minute by minute review of a game that was blacked out here in J'ville because not enough people in this town buy tickets to support this lousy team.

So despite, not going to the game in town, nor being able to watch it on local television, (not that it mattered, I don't like the Jags or the Bills,) so it was a non event to start with, ... the folks in town got to see the game more or less, thanks to the post game show.

But why the heck to you black the game out for lack of attendance and then do a post game review and show practically the whole game minute by minute for 45 minutes???

Then they had the audacity to put a stupid Eddie Murphy movie on for the rest of the 4 hours that a regular football game should have been televised.

Needless to say I called the local station and aired my beef and I was told by the kid that answered the phone that he agreed with me but due to whatever contractural agreement they have with the NFL, they were told not to air the Jets and Patriots. BTW, this kid told me that I was about the 45th or 50th caller to air my grievance.

Well now I'm writing to the NFL .... WTF gives?

:kilroy:

Trans_23
November 23rd, 2009, 19:21
I DVR the games I want to watch cause I can't stand the constant commercials. The NFL is slowly biting off it's own head.

crashaz
November 23rd, 2009, 22:23
I get NFL Ticket on DirectTV...interruptions be dammed!!

rhumbaflappy
November 24th, 2009, 06:31
I remember this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

Dick

cheezyflier
November 24th, 2009, 07:04
it's no more real than the wwf. how anyone could possibly think so with soooo much money involved is laughable.

denisch
November 24th, 2009, 08:35
Wittpilot, don't give up on the message just becouse the messenger didn't get it right. As for Europan football (soccor), yes there's plenty of action but it frustrates me when a game ends is a 0 to 0 tie after all that kicking the ball back and forth!

P.S.: As I was reading this thread I thought of the "Heidi" game and couldn't help but laugh!! But that was in the early days of the old AFL and profession football didn't have much clout with the networks back then. Still I'm sure that time constraints and scheduled programming affect how much of a game is going to be aired. As it is Sunday has become pretty much a football marathon. Depending on the games scheduled I can disappear into my "man cave" at day break and not come out until well after dark!!