PDA

View Full Version : Editing aircraft.cfg's in Windows 7...

idancesafetydance
November 23rd, 2009, 13:52
Well... Just installed Windows 7 a while back, and need to do some .cfg editing. I right clicked on it, and selected "edit" as I usually did in Vista, I did my work and clicked the shiny red "close" button. When it asked me to save I selected yes as usual. But then it asked me where to save it, I knew something was up by now. When I tried to save it, boom, it said Access was denied. Can't even save it somewhere else and copy and paste it in. I have full admin rights to my PC. So what's the deal? Can't edit .cfg's in Windows 7?

orionll
November 23rd, 2009, 14:01
Navigate to your root Flight Simulator X folder -> Right click folder -> Properties -> Security tab -> Edit -> Add... -> type your Windows username -> OK -> select Allow checkbox for Full control -> OK or Apply.

Lewis-A2A
November 23rd, 2009, 14:04
make sure you select your user and not admin too.

For example I have 'Lewis/Administrator' and 'Lewis/User' then allow all under edit.

So long as you select user all is well in the land of editing :ernae:

idancesafetydance
November 23rd, 2009, 16:22
Alright, I'll try it out guys, thanks for the feedback. I built this machine with my own hands, yet I never thought about Orion or Lewis' suggestions.

glennc
November 23rd, 2009, 16:31
Other option - Find User Access Control (its in the Action Center) and turn it off and also turn off notifications.

Glenn

Lionheart
November 23rd, 2009, 17:11
I have full admin rights to my PC. So what's the deal? Can't edit .cfg's in Windows 7?

I think he said that he does.

:d

Dangerousdave26
November 23rd, 2009, 17:17
What path did you install FSX into?

Did you use the default "Program Files" folder?

Lewis-A2A
November 24th, 2009, 04:32
Mine and Orions suggest will work Lionheart.

Windows has various admin options now for security purposes :engel016:

idancesafetydance
November 24th, 2009, 16:05
What path did you install FSX into?

Did you use the default "Program Files" folder? Yes, the default folder, I have been busy so I haven't been able to try it yet. I'll post back if it does works.

fliger747
November 25th, 2009, 06:31
It was exactly this type of thing that tempeted me to see how many times I could skip a Vista laptop across the local pond......

They need a "It's my #&^$@@ computer" option.....

T.

idancesafetydance
November 25th, 2009, 18:39
HEY!

it works.