PDA

View Full Version : Bump Mapping screwing up geometry.

Daycab
November 22nd, 2009, 15:58
I've been working on my bump mapping for the Love project (for those who are counting, this is texture number 4) and am having a bit of a problem with it screwing up my geometry. If you look at the screenies, you can see it is totally messing up the spine of the aircraft and around the vents for the engine in the front. Can anyone suggest ways to avoid this or any issues that could be causing it? I can understand the ribbing on the fuselage, but the engine humps only have bump mapping along the black lines and none where they are screwed up.

daycab

P.S. I can lose the front bump mapping if need be, but the ribbing shows enough promise I really want to keep it. If you can suggest a different method, I'm all ears...

Wozza
November 23rd, 2009, 21:48
Hi
That effect normal means a bad bump map texture.you have missed a step in the making of the bump map or whatever converter your using isnt fsx compat.The only 2 converters I know of is the Nividia one and a plugin for gimp,there maybe others
Wozza

Daycab
November 24th, 2009, 08:36
Hi
That effect normal means a bad bump map texture.you have missed a step in the making of the bump map or whatever converter your using isnt fsx compat.The only 2 converters I know of is the Nividia one and a plugin for gimp,there maybe others
Wozza

You're talking about converting it to a .dds file, correct? I'm using the Nvidia Photoshop plugin... As for making a bump map, I didn't think it was any different than any other texture.

daycab

Wozza
November 24th, 2009, 18:16
Hi
Ive never used the nividia plugin only gimp,I do know you have to muck around with the color channels in the alpha see here
http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1195605238
what I do in gimp is convert my bmp to a normal map bmp via the gimp plug in then run a batch file with image tool to rework the alpha channels and save as a dds texture
imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -RedInAlpha -dds -nodither *.bmp
Wozza