PDA

View Full Version : Drop tank behavior in new P-38s

dswo
November 22nd, 2009, 12:49
I've been testing both of the recent P-38 models for a couple weeks. There's a lot to like in both, but they seem to disagree about what should happen when you release the drop tanks.

SU: climb
FSD: sink

I've tested both enough times that I feel ok about bringing it up, but not enough to rule out pilot error/user ignorance.

Queries:

1. If you own one of these models, is this what happens to you?

2. Which is more realistic?

* I've clocked some fun hours in the CH Fw-190 and A2A P-47, and both of those models climb when you drop tanks -- the difference is felt immediately. Less weight from the fuel + less drag from the tank = more altitude.

deimos256
November 22nd, 2009, 13:05
i have noticed that if you drop the tanks on the FSD model its purely cosmetic, if you go into fuel and payload there are still amounts of fuel left after the tanks are dropped. Since I never fly with tanks i usually have to drop them then go into fuel and payload and set ext 1 and 2 to 0%. As for the SU offering I sadly haven't had time to mess around with it, but if your experiencing climb after the drop i would assume its simulated correctly.

Mathias
November 22nd, 2009, 13:06
Wrong post, sorry.

peter12213
November 22nd, 2009, 13:28
Personally I only have the SU model but I felt it was quite accurate however as I never flown a real P38 I can't say if its truelly realistic however for our purposes I think its pretty good!