PDA

View Full Version : Stutters using Saitek rudder pedals

JIMJAM
November 22nd, 2009, 07:17
I can say I have never had this issue. I am running a store bought Dell 6800-o1e i7 until I can rebuild a new one zapped by a storm. It has 6 gigs,800w power supply,Vista 64 and its got the Realtek hd sound installed onboard. I see nowhere to plug in a spare very old Creative Labs xfi sound card I have so it must be covered by my 1 gig 4870. There is one slot open but the slot is about 1mm to short so I am stuck with the Realtek for now.
Anyways, I have been getting sound stutters. Not all the time but usually a reboot clears them up. I then noticed when I kick a pedal pedal the sim will sometimes pause and / or lead into a sound stutter. Unplugging the pedals and putting them into another will stop the problem but it always will pop up later. I have plugged the pedals into the back of the computer and also a external hub I guess its called that has other usb devices. I see no conflicts shown on the sytem devices screen.
Ive downloaded the latest Realtek drivers for Vista and for Saitek.
I have never heard anything good about using mob based sound especially for sims and feel thats got something to do with it. Also the new ATI drivers have some sort of sound driver which I have disable for testing and see no effect. Neither has lowering or changing setting in the Realtek menu.
Kinda stuck....... BTW- Store bought machine while cheap, suck at simming. Just need to make it through the holidays.
Any advice,where to look, what to try ect appreciated.

harleyman
November 22nd, 2009, 07:41
Don't know squat as to your problem..

But I assure you that onboard sound these days is great...my little 52 buck G31M board has 8 channel sound and its awsome....

Never had the first problem with sound after I quit using Sound Blaster stuff..

You never mentiones your ram speed or bios thats been flashed..As an off the shelf you probably can't do that anyways...

Use the drivers that came with your motherbaord already installed i would think....(sound)

I'm not any help I know....Sorry

JIMJAM
November 22nd, 2009, 08:02
I have always ran high end Sound blaster cards but like you realized for sims its a waste of money. The reason I did was to let the proccessors do their thing and the sound card handle the sound. But with todays speeds the gains must be very small. I am more concerned about having a conflict. I am also getting stutters and sound stutters in ROF which seems to be really tough on systems.
Yeah the biggest drawback of the store boughts systems is you cannot tweek much of anything. The bios options are very limited which for most is a good thing.
If it were a conflict I would think the issue would happen all the time. It seems to come and go and often not at all. BTW- I wiped the hd clean and did a clean reinstall. Dell wanted $25 bucks for a systems recovery disk! Ok well Thanks for posting. I will either stumble across a fix or a piece of hardware will fail forcing me to rebuild sooner.

harleyman
November 22nd, 2009, 11:07
Only thing I can think of is to maybe run FSX in windowed mode minimized along with tack mamager open ans see if anything intremitenly runs when the sound lags...????

JIMJAM
November 22nd, 2009, 19:41
FYI-The latest Realtek drivers for Vista64 would never load. 1/2 way through I would one of those"are you sure" you wanna load the driver messages that Vista loves to rub in your face. I hit yes but it just times out and ask again over and over and over.....
I stumbled apon a way to get past it. Boot safe and then try again. Twenty times to be exact. Seems the programmers must feel by 20x you either really want to load the driver or you deserve what you get.
I did a google and sure enough a few others hit the 20x the charm when trying to install. Lots of hard headed people like me out there.
I have played 3 games,ROF,FSX and Fallout3 and so far no stuttering. I wil wait a few days before I claim a victory as Vista has got the last laugh on my occasions.