PDA

View Full Version : FS Dreamscapes - NEXTMapÂ

jmig
November 22nd, 2009, 05:32
Anybody use this? I saw it on sale and wonder if it is worth buying? I already use FSGenesis mesh. It only comes state by state and is rather expensive. Is the value there for the price.

Dain Arns
November 22nd, 2009, 05:42
I'm using the FS Dreamscapes mesh for Hawaii, love it. Shows a lot of small features like old cinder cones, especially on the "Big Island". Those generally just come out as small bumps, otherwise with the default. Works fine on Oahu too with the MegaScenery and Mr. Womack's Dillingham. You do seem to get more "plateaus" with the smaller default airstrips, but of course that's FSX's inability to show those airstrips that run uphill/downhill usually.

Can't say for any other states.

Kiwikat
November 22nd, 2009, 06:46
I was also considering grabbing the Hawaii version. For 7 bucks and change, you can't really go wrong.

spatialpro
November 22nd, 2009, 08:16
NextMap products are good in that they have a 5m post spacing and cover large areas. Products derived from USGS data are generally either 10m or 30m post spacing. However, the USGS data shows bare-Earth terrain (a Digital TERRAIN Model, or DTM), whereas NextMap primarily represents bare-Earth plus all the vegetation and buildings etc. on top (a Digital SURFACE Model, or DSM). NextMap sell DTM as well of course, which are derived from their DSM with all the building and vegetation removed. However, the removal of all that and interpolating to fill the resulting gaps is problematic, especially over larger areas. Intermap's own sales reps admit their DTM aren't so great where areas of woodland are larger than, say, 500m x 500m, as an example. This means they're not as representative as the USGS data over vast forested areas.

Also, NextMap (and SRTM) doesn't work as well in areas of very steep terrain (e.g. Yosemite's U-shaped valleys), where USGS-derived products are superior.

However, having said all of that, I'd still recommend them, especially when they're on sale! ;) Go for it.