PDA

View Full Version : OT: Toby Keith

Snuffy
November 22nd, 2009, 04:08
Toby's back after a bit of a drought ....

Seem's he's lost a friend ... Great song.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/toby-keith/450453/cryin-for-me-waymans-song.jhtml

WND
November 22nd, 2009, 04:29
Thanks Ted, Great song / Great video...

Bill

OBIO
November 22nd, 2009, 07:40
That is a very touching song....I heard it for the first time coming home from the grocery store last week. Brought more than a few tears to my eyes it did.

Here's my favorite Toby song and video.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/toby-keith/26547/im-just-talkin-about-tonight.jhtml

Tim

tigisfat
November 22nd, 2009, 19:43
I hate to troll, but I can't stand any singer who blatently and openly takes advantage of patriotism to make money. It's kinda ironic how the first patriotic song of his, which may very well have been heartfelt, went huge and was almost IMMEDIATELY followed by multiple other generic 'patriotic' songs of his.

Toby Keith makes me sick. His music is all generic pop music top 40 country. It has no soul at all.

EasyEd
November 22nd, 2009, 21:12
Hey All,

You mean like this?

cHuzRuFQFo0

An edit: Embedding is disabled so just click on the underlined "watch on youtube" line and you will be taken straight to the video.

The Wayman Tisdale song is good. I remember watching Wayman play ball. Nice of Toby to do that song. To me Toby is a real conundrum - I don't care much for him but I like alot of his music - odd.

As far as riding the patriotic American theme - yes he has and in much of Conservative America that sentiment is doing nothing but growing so he'll continue to have a market - so?

-Ed-

Cazzie
November 23rd, 2009, 02:15
Hell, he's country, what's not to like. And he likes bars.

http://www.tobykeithsbar.com/ :icon29:

Caz

Dain Arns
November 23rd, 2009, 05:09
Looks like the boys at JibJab had a hand in that video, Ed. :icon_lol:

cheezyflier
November 23rd, 2009, 06:57
he ain't bob hope but he has done plenty of stuff for the troops.
to accuse him of ripping off patriotic sentiments is a bit of a stretch, imo.
after all, politicos do it all the time, and they're not even entertaining! :icon_lol:
maybe that's just his "thing". the sentiments he conveys in his music are very southeast/middle class/blue collar/regular joe type feelings. that's country, imo.
things evolve and change. they can't all be hank williams. in a time when being american isn't popular, i'm glad to see someone who is proud to portray the kind of american that most americans know as a neighbor.
you wouldn't believe the attitudes i get from people up here as soon as they realize i'm american.

djscoo
November 23rd, 2009, 09:04
, i'm glad to see someone who is proud to portray the kind of american that most americans know as a neighbor.

He does a good job of portraying how my neighbor acts...my neighbor is loud, annoying, loves bars and blares country music non-stop.

cheezyflier
November 23rd, 2009, 12:24
consider yourself lucky. my neighbor across the hall is a mental case/drug addict/prostitute. she's also wealthy. today i went AGAIN to be a witness against her in court, trying to help my landlord evict her. we've been working on this for about 8 months.

tigisfat
November 23rd, 2009, 14:46
he ain't bob hope but he has done plenty of stuff for the troops.

Cheezy, I usually take your side, but what has he done for the troops besides profit of our blood? I've been forced to go to concerts of his before against my will. Most people at his concerts in theatre are annoyed to be there. Essentially he used us to sell albums by shooting video of us at his concerts.

tigisfat
November 23rd, 2009, 14:48
As far as riding the patriotic American theme - yes he has and in much of Conservative America that sentiment is doing nothing but growing so he'll continue to have a market - so?

-Ed-If you're not actually a patriot, but you're riding the wave to sell people you are taking advantage of to sell merchandise and music, then you are garbage.

cheezyflier
November 23rd, 2009, 17:26
Cheezy, I usually take your side, but what has he done for the troops besides profit of our blood? I've been forced to go to concerts of his before against my will. Most people at his concerts in theatre are annoyed to be there. Essentially he used us to sell albums by shooting video of us at his concerts.

i was completely unaware of that.
why would someone force you to go to a concert?

on an unrelated note though, i had chocolate pudding and a banana for breakfast. pretty awesome!

Snuffy
November 23rd, 2009, 17:53
I hate to troll, but I can't stand any singer who blatently and openly takes advantage of patriotism to make money. It's kinda ironic how the first patriotic song of his, which may very well have been heartfelt, went huge and was almost IMMEDIATELY followed by multiple other generic 'patriotic' songs of his.

Toby Keith makes me sick. His music is all generic pop music top 40 country. It has no soul at all.

I think you're wrong, but you're entitled to your opinion.

TK was making music and was on the charts and selling music long before 9/11.

tigisfat
November 23rd, 2009, 20:18
i was completely unaware of that.
why would someone force you to go to a concert?

on an unrelated note though, i had chocolate pudding and a banana for breakfast. pretty awesome!

You get firced to do a lot of wierd things in the military, but not in the way you'd think. I don't think of military leadership as more forceful or dictating than the civilian world, because people are going to tell you to do your job anywhere. They shouldn't have to. Anyway, like I was saying about getting told to do wierd stuff:

We have terms like "rent-a-crowd" and "voluntold". Sometimes leadership that conjur up unpopular events in good faith, or need a sea of faithful 'supporters' for some unknown individual with a lot of rank, people get told to be somewhere and like it. Celebrities sometimes tour warzones for their own image to show their 'support' for the troops. It's good publicity for them.

It just makes you feel like a tool when you're told to appear as part of a crowd for a celebrity that you could care less about. Believe you me, there are plenty of comedians and other personalities that appear without cameras to give us a good laugh or good time. Question the motives of anyone who makes a production out of it, like Toby Kieth.

tigisfat
November 23rd, 2009, 20:18
TK was making music and was on the charts and selling music long before 9/11.

Were they songs about 9/11 before 9/11?

crashaz
November 23rd, 2009, 22:19
Hmm this Toby Keith song describes me best... sans the twins.:icon_lol:

http://www.cmt.com/videos/toby-keith/57372/as-good-as-i-once-was.jhtml

harleyman
November 24th, 2009, 00:12
If you're not actually a patriot, but you're riding the wave to sell people you are taking advantage of to sell merchandise and music, then you are garbage.

Sounds like every politition there has ever been....

Its the American way, and his right....

Snuffy
November 24th, 2009, 03:06
Were they songs about 9/11 before 9/11?

And how the hell can they be songs about 9/11 before 9/11 happened? :sleep:

Get over it.

cheezyflier
November 24th, 2009, 06:59
tbo it never really occoured to me that he might be doing that.
but for me, it doesn't really change anything. the music is still entertaining (for me) but i wasn't buyin his stuff to begin with. i don't buy that much music anymore. cash shortage re arranges priorities.

right now i'm more concerned with chocolate pudding
and bananas:icon_lol:

tigisfat
November 24th, 2009, 07:55
Sounds like every politition there has ever been....

Its the American way, and his right....

Politicians sell their music? :icon_lol:

djscoo
November 24th, 2009, 08:25
Politicians sell their music? :icon_lol:
You mean to tell me you've never heard of MC Rove???
hYZre8kEsuw&feature=youtube_gdata
:mixedsmi:

Navy Chief
October 12th, 2011, 19:37
Well, Toby's latest offering, "Red Solo Cup"...is SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!

Just go to his website. There's a link to the video. It's great!

NC

johnh_049
October 12th, 2011, 21:59

so? John Phillips Sousa wrote patriotic music... should we all ostracize him because it was popular? maybe someone needs to get a life and quit trolling.

TARPSBird
October 12th, 2011, 22:12
johnh,
tigisfat is no longer a member here at SOH so his troll posts from almost 2 years ago are old business. :mixedsmi:
This is an old thread that NC bumped back to life with his post.

johnh_049
October 13th, 2011, 03:43
johnh,
tigisfat is no longer a member here at SOH so his troll posts from almost 2 years ago are old business. :mixedsmi:
This is an old thread that NC bumped back to life with his post.

i see, maybe it's a good thing he's no longer a member.

Navy Chief
October 13th, 2011, 04:46
Sorry to create any confusion! I saw that a post about Toby K. had already been made, so just added to it. But due to the language in the video, I decided not to include a link. Am sure folks can find it though, and it is very funny, in my opinion! Now I have the "Red Solo Cup" song in my head!

NC