PDA

View Full Version : Awful looking sky

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 03:49
I have just got FSX up and running on my new rig. Its running at decent frames as well. However the sky is awful - it looks like there is faint haze of green flickering between and behind clouds.
I'm using two GTX280s - seems to happen regardless of SLi config. Also happens whether in DX10 or not. I have the latest drivers and I am running Win7 with 6gig of memory.

Any ideas?

kurt

BladeLWS
November 22nd, 2009, 05:08
What are the temps on the cards? My GTX 280's run pretty hot so I run them at 100% fan's while in the sim. If that is your problem get the EVGA precision tuner, you can adjust fan settings there.

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 05:32
Not running that hot - I can put hy hand on them comfortably - 65 degrees or so at most. Fans are set to automatic so they do what they need to.

Side is off the case as well and right next to an open window for good airflow.

kurt

BladeLWS
November 22nd, 2009, 05:38
Sometimes the case open is bad for the designed airflow but if its cool thats ok. Are you running official nvidia release drivers or the "latest" ones from sites like guru3d.com? You may try rolling back a few driver updates to see if thats the problem. Other than that it could be a problem with an addon with in the same, do you have any sky modifications?

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 06:03
Latest NVidia drivers. On a fresh install of Win 7. Its a new install od FSX + Acceleration. Nothing else added.
In WinXP I do get flickering on blank screens - I'm begining to think it might be card related. I have dropped BFG a mail.....

kurt

harleyman
November 22nd, 2009, 07:44
First off fans set to auto can and will run hot..

Use EVGA Percission and run the fans faster..First see what it says the temps really are....

Second..FSX does not use nor like SLI or Crossfire setups...Some get away with it though..

I could not run SLI....It bit badly...LOL

falcon409
November 22nd, 2009, 08:20
First off fans set to auto can and will run hot..
Use EVGA Percission and run the fans faster..First see what it says the temps really are....
Second..FSX does not use nor like SLI or Crossfire setups...Some get away with it though..
I could not run SLI....It bit badly...LOL
Looks like a pretty handy utility actually, but I have a question. . .how do I know what settings can be adjusted on my card and what are the limits? Also, do I want to even mess with that? Sometimes I think utilities like this can cause more damage than good when someone who doesn't really know what they're doing starts trying to "tweak".

I'm running an NVidia 9600GT/512 with Win7/64bit and 8gig RAM.

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 08:58
All the temp LEDs on the MoBo are fine and the cards, while hot to the touch are touchable. I don't think this is heat related.

kurt

spotlope
November 22nd, 2009, 10:12
Are you running the default clouds? Also, can you put up a screenshot of what you're seeing? It might help in diagnosing.

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 11:09
Everything is default. No addons or anything other than FSX + Acceleration. Will try to sort a screenie.

FS9 works fine (not trying to start a flame or anything....)

kurt

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 11:43
Well how do you like that. Screenshots look fine!

kurt

spotlope
November 22nd, 2009, 11:52
If it's a flickering green, you might not be catching it at the right instant. The thing is, there's an awful lot of us running FSX, and I've never heard of that problem before. The issue is probably system or video related; it's definitely not a shortcoming in FSX. If anything, my skies have never looked better. Keep trying to get a snap. If you can isolate it, maybe it'll ring some bells with someone here.

kurt190
November 22nd, 2009, 12:13
No I don't think it is FSX related. I ran it before on an old rig and it looked great (just had lousy frame rates). I think the issue is with the card. I've dropped an e-mail to BFG and they have offered to RMA them.

kurt