PDA

View Full Version : OT:Need some help with a system upgrade.

Peter SWE
November 21st, 2009, 13:54
I needed some more oomph for FSX so i bought a new E8500 duo core to replace my old P4 3,8 singel core.

The problem is that the system won't boot with the new processor. It boot up fine with the P4 but not with the E8500.

I've had the processor tested with another system and it worked with that one so the processor seems ok.

I've tryed with different hard drives and OS, both XP and Vista.

I've also tryed with different cooling fans.

None of this has helped.

I got at Gigabyte G32M-ES2L motherboard and according to the Gigabyte webpage it is compatible with the Intel E8500.

Anyone that has an idea what's wrong?

ryanbatc
November 21st, 2009, 14:00
What power supply do you have?

Peter SWE
November 21st, 2009, 14:03
What power supply do you have?

500W ATX

I also got a ATI radeon 4600 powered by the same powersupply.

ryanbatc
November 21st, 2009, 14:11
Hmmmm

take some peripherals out and try booting with minimum equipment. Also try with 1 ram stick

Normally a 500w PSU should be fine, but what model is it and how old is it?

I'm pretty stumped as to what this could be.

And you're CERTAIN the motherboard accepts the Core 2 Duo?

harleyman
November 21st, 2009, 15:05
I think you need to put the old P4 back in and flash the mobo for the newer chip..

Once thats done switch chips and you are golden

Akatsuki
November 21st, 2009, 15:48
I think you need to put the old P4 back in and flash the mobo for the newer chip..

Yup flashing the BIOS will most probably solve your issue...

ryanbatc
November 21st, 2009, 18:04

Thanks for that :jump:

Peter SWE
November 22nd, 2009, 01:36
Hmmmm

take some peripherals out and try booting with minimum equipment. Also try with 1 ram stick

Normally a 500w PSU should be fine, but what model is it and how old is it?

I'm pretty stumped as to what this could be.

And you're CERTAIN the motherboard accepts the Core 2 Duo?

Good morning.

I am never certain of anything:wiggle: The box that the mobo came in states that the e8500 is compatible.

I did try with a skelleton setup, using onboard grafics and 1gb ram, still grounded with that.

Peter SWE
November 22nd, 2009, 01:39

Yup flashing the BIOS will most probably solve your issue...

That is something new to me, i've never heard of flashing the motherboard. Gonna consult the all knowing googleoracle and try that.

Thanks!

harleyman
November 22nd, 2009, 01:59
Peter..

Browse your motherboards disk that you have... In the software section you will see a tool called * @BIOS *

Thats what you want..

You will have to go to Gigabyte site and get the latest flash for that chip and download it to your desktop..

Once its there you run the @BIOS tool and select .Ummm,Not looking at it now...But browse it to your one on the desktop...NOT from the Gigabyte server, as it will choose the one for the P4....

Now ..When flashing..make SURE AntiVirus is OFF..If it will not turn off..UNINSTALL it completely...

The flash takes about 30 seconds..touch NOTHING...No keyboard or mouse..Stand back and let it go...

Thats it....You will be prompted to reboot and you are done...

Your MoBo will run that chip...But it only has the flash to see the P4 now and run it ...

Peter SWE
November 25th, 2009, 11:02
This is starting to get frustrating.

I now got the latest bios and all the latest drivers.

The Gigabyte web clearly states that my G31M-ES2L motherboard takes the Intel E8500 core 2 duo. The box that the mobo came in also states this. The salesperson that sold me the mobo sayes that it will take any intel socket 775 processor.

The result of the moboflash was that now XP boots but freeze completely after 5-6seconds. Vista still does'ent boot.

What have i missed here?

harleyman
November 25th, 2009, 12:14
Odd I build systems very week with the gigabyte G31 Mobo.

You have a different issue than that I feel.....

Its a easy to set up motherboard....

Perhaps if you are using the same HDD with the same OS on it that might be your problem...Not all motherboards will just run a HDD with an OS already installed.

I suggest you put an old HDD in and reload windows and see..Then if it boots you need to save everything from the other HDD and reformat and partition it and reinstall again

nevermind...its a new chip...Not mobo right...

What bios flash are you using? F something?

Peter SWE
November 25th, 2009, 17:22
Thanks for trying to help me, i really appreciate it!

I'm running Bios F10.

Gonna format a HD and make a fresh install with the new processor when i get back home from work later today.

Peter SWE
November 27th, 2009, 12:59
I must have been born with bad luck...

I finaly snapped with the gigabyte mobo and mailed it to the military to use for targetpractise.
I went out and got a Asus P5Q deluxe, installed everything, hit the switch and.... Nothing. This mobo is dead, completely. No post,no bios, no screen, no nothing. I also had to get a new cabinet to house this bigger mobo.

After looking around on the net a couple of hours it seems that there is a lot of people having the same issue with this card. New cards dead on delivery. Lots of threads with descriptions of problems but no solutions.

Think i'm gonna cry myself to sleep now.

harleyman
November 27th, 2009, 13:50
Nothing at all???

You should at least get fans up and running...Check your 24 pin and 8 pin (maybe 4 pin) and see if they are tight...

Could your PSU have died?????

Peter SWE
November 28th, 2009, 11:15
I finaly figured it out.

After reading an old review of the asus p5q from its introduction indicating that it has an severe incompabilityproblem with certain memory modules. I started trying with different memorysticks and suddenly found one that worked. It started bios so i could flash it with the latest version and after that it booted up.

Strange. With the wrong memorystick the motherboard is completely dead, the fans are turning but nothing else. There are a lot of threads on techforums where people have problems with the P5Q so asus must have missed something when they wrote the BIOS the first time.

But again, what do i know? My knowlege in computerhardware is very limited.

Now i got windows but still no sound. Again, from reading at techforums, there are a lot of threads on this problem but no solutions.

Strangely enough i cant find any drivers for the onboard soundmax avalible for download anywhere.

Again, thanks harleyman for all your input!