PDA

View Full Version : Avsim review

CH_OldZeke
November 20th, 2009, 10:49
http://www.avsim.com/pages/1109/Rat/WWII.htm

Good read and pretty accurate review :)

GT182
November 20th, 2009, 11:14
Not bad, and it looks like they update it on a fairly regular basis. The monthly subscription rate of $14.99USD isn't too bad either. Best thing is you can use your Tracker IR, even tho the game only supports the "dot" mode of the early IR 2s.

Mobayrasta
November 20th, 2009, 11:35
Tried it and was just so lost.......... Nobody seemed to want to help a noob.......Pretty bad being a 35 year old noob....

I think with the right group of people it could be fun. My style is more Armed Assault with the SimHq guys!

CH_OldZeke
November 20th, 2009, 11:38
I've played it for over 8 years now, total time ingame for me adds up to around 1 year actual playtime :) I can honestly say it's the most addictive online game/sim I have ever played.

It is and will always be a work in progress.

The learning curve is steep, being part of a good squad a huge plus.

You can d/l the game and run it offline for free to check out the equiptment and game world (1.31 update will change to gameworld look quite a bit). From what I've seen posted 1.31 open beta should come up in the next few weeks for general testing. Each version is closed beta until a fairly stable version is completed then it goes into open beta to get a high number of players trying it out and reporting issues that may have sliped by closed beta and to see how it preforms on a higher populated server.

You do need a subscription to play online, it's not zoned servers but 1 server where everyone plays. CRS often times will offer a free trail period several times a year, no idea if they plan to free trial 1.31 final but would not be surprised.

CH_OldZeke
November 20th, 2009, 11:51
Tried it and was just so lost.......... Nobody seemed to want to help a noob.......Pretty bad being a 35 year old noob....

I think with the right group of people it could be fun. My style is more Armed Assault with the SimHq guys!

It can be very confuseing for a new player. They do now have a tutorial...something like americas army and maybe it was COD has where you run through the equiptment with prompts and such before you enter the actual live game. The turorial is online/instanced and you must complete it to unlock availabity to the main server, help chat sent by you from the tutorial is seen in the live server and can be answered by other players.

There is a help channel in the chat and any trainers that are on do/should answer any questions as best they can. I've been a trainer for many years ingame and sometimes I still get stumped on a question. The game constantly progresses and I'm gettin older and greyer ;)

There are side specific teamspeak servers(player ran as best as I recall) and most squads run their own teamspeak as well for voice comms.

Willy
November 20th, 2009, 11:55
Hey Zeke! Long time no see! :ernae:

CH_OldZeke
November 20th, 2009, 13:42
Hi Willy!

Yea I'm still about :) Pretty much got my winters wood put up in the dry and awaiting the 1st snow (and I am not minding the wait).

Still doin a little music here and there too.

WW ever around anymore? Man we had some great cfs/cfs2 bombruns back in the day.

Dain Arns
November 20th, 2009, 14:11
I was actually in the beta a decade ago, but due to continuing connection problems where I lived at the time, I decided not to continue after the release. It was a very interesting and fun MMO back then. I was surprised at the review, and to see it's still kicking. :applause:

CH_OldZeke
November 20th, 2009, 19:57
I have a bad habit of rambling on and being confuseing at times....
Where I talked about open beta, the live game continues on 24/7/365.
When a open beta is running it runs seperate from the live version so there
is still the main game always going on.
When a beta is ready for the main server then it is patched in and you d/l
the patch when you login to the main server.

Willy
November 20th, 2009, 20:12
I'm still hanging around when I'm not out messing with the horses. According to them, you'll need that heater wood as it's going to be a hard winter.

Haven't seen WW in years and hope everything's turned out well for him.