PDA

View Full Version : ehh..ahem.. any bus drivers here ?..(cough)

Javis
November 20th, 2009, 07:40
Anyone got Aerosoft/TML City Bus Simulator 2010 New York around here ? ....

Just asking.... cough, cough.. :frown: :d

Ferry_vO
November 20th, 2009, 07:47
Still making up my mind if I should get the Bus Sim, farming sim or garbage collector sim first... :icon_lol:

Last time I drove a bus in a sim was in Microsoft's Midtown Madness (Anyone remember that..?) but I wasn't exactly keeping myself to the schedule, route or speed limits.. :d

EasyEd
November 20th, 2009, 11:09
Hey All,

Don't buy the farming sim unless you truly are a farmer at heart. It does get boring going round and round just like sitting in a FS cockpit while the plane is on autopilot gets boring. Anyway the farming sim is a great sim - not as advanced as FS technically but still really good. To me it needs more strategic stuff in it and the modeling needs to get better.

-Ed-

Wing_Z
November 20th, 2009, 11:38
Well...I know lots of people don't "get" what flight simmers do, but I really battle with the other sims.
Trains: do you make sure you get there on time?
Farms: milk the cow, deliver to market?
But buses??? I can't remember when last I was on a bus, hate 'em! they are big, slow (often) smokey and their drivers have no manners. Why'd you want to simulate That??? :d

Javis
November 20th, 2009, 16:24
Last time I drove a bus in a sim was in Microsoft's Midtown Madness (Anyone remember that..?)

I do ! :)

Loved racing that red doubledecker thru London :d

Love driving a sim train and since train sims today don't cut the mustard anymore ( atleast not in my book, thanks MS :banghead: ) i had my eye on that Aerosoft City Bus sim for a while already.

Couldn't get the demo to run other than having the main character Carlos running circles around the instructor guy ( still can't get that tutorial to work.....:confused: ) so my hopes certainly weren't set at high level but now that i just bought the game and got the bus running it is actually quite entertaining and good fun.

It's a great gimmick that you are not confined to your bus. At any time you can park your bus somewhere, cut the engine, jump out and walk around to have a closer look at the ( very nice) scenery.

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/bus1.jpg

(i went looking for an airplane to fly but didn't find any.. hehe.. )

So back to the bus..
http://sectionf8.com/f86files/bus2.jpg

It's just that the manual is very vague about the game play, what exactly is your route to drive, where to stop, time schedule, etc. Was hoping to find somebody here who could shed some light on that ?....

cheers,
jan

Javis
November 20th, 2009, 17:00
But buses??? I can't remember when last I was on a bus, hate 'em! they are big, slow (often) smokey and their drivers have no manners. Why'd you want to simulate That??? :d

Childhood memories.. Never could decide if i wanted to be pilot, train driver, or bus chauffeur. :)

About those bus driver manners, yes, they've covered that too. You can welcome your passengers from joyful to downright unfriendly ( voice ) :d

We have very small roads here in Holland, always have great respect for these guys who can handle these huge baracks on wheels thru the narrow streets. Always loved those BIG steering wheels too. :)

cheers,
Jan

Panther_99FS
November 20th, 2009, 17:04
That's some nice scenery! :applause:

Wing_Z
November 21st, 2009, 01:24
...We have very small roads here in Holland, always have great respect for these guys who can handle these huge baracks on wheels thru the narrow streets. Always loved those BIG steering wheels too. :)
cheers,
Jan
Yup, agree.
Years ago I joined a tour through Europe, on one of those giant coaches.
Entering Florence, the driver stopped, got out, folded back the wing mirrors, and could then drive through the 16th century alleyway leading to our hotel.
And reversed out the next morning...

Javis
November 21st, 2009, 07:03
Yes, unbelievable.... Florence is a beautiful city !

Btw, nice avatar ! :)

When i was still making my mind up about being a pilot, machinist, or bus driver, the creator of your avatar, M.C. Escher, visited my father. He was a journalist but also worked as a PR man for one of the biggest metal factories in Holland, situated here in my village.

Next to the big stuff, a.o. they also produced biscuit tins.

For a special celebration edition Mr.Escher was asked to design a tin based on one of his magical never ending motivs. It turned out to be a GeoSphere tin which comprises 21 planes. Each of the planes holds an embossed, printed image of his 'birds' artwork ( your avatar ).

Only a very limited number of these Escher biscuit tins were produced. Of course my father got one too and it is still in my family. My younger brother has it, he 'won the toss' .

Thought maybe you'd find this interesting. :)

Cheers,
Jan

Wing_Z
November 21st, 2009, 14:21
I am of course an Escher devotee.
An Esher biscuit tin..it's like having a van Gogh on the kitchen wall (and btw I do know someone who has one!)
Hope your brother appreciates his winning draw, do you think you could post a picture?
I know this is an awful long way from the bus simulator, but...wow!

Lionus
November 22nd, 2009, 00:33
our bus drivers don't need sims, they're too busy drifting their buses around the roundabouts..:icon_lol: that made school trips slightly more exciting, especially if you sat in the back.

Wing_Z
November 22nd, 2009, 11:06
our bus drivers don't need sims, they're too busy drifting their buses around the roundabouts...
Their first names are all Mika, right? :d

Javis
November 22nd, 2009, 15:55
Hope your brother appreciates his winning draw, do you think you could post a picture?

Certainly, i'll take my camera next time i'm at my brother's ( in a day or two).

Maybe not such a bad idea to shoot a few pictures of it. After a good search i found nothing about this particular Escher tin in the net, not even at the official Escher site. It's pretty special and unique alright. :)

I know this is an awful long way from the bus simulator, but...wow!

Ah, well, not surprisingly it seems like i'm the only bus driver here anyway... :d

cheers,
Jan

Javis
November 23rd, 2009, 17:56
Wing_Z, here a couple photo's of our Escher candy tin. As you can see i made a little mistake in thinking that it was Escher's 'Birds' image, i.e. your avatar, that was used for the tin. The number of 'polygons' is also not 21 but 17... Hope i'm forgivin as it is quite easy to make a mistake when one wants to describe Escher artwork from one's head... :)

Since it is not the 'birds' image it may very well be that this 'seashells and seastars' subject is unique to the design of the candy tin. It was designed by Escher in 1963 to commemorate 55 years of 'Verenigde Blik Fabrieken' ( United Tin-plate Factories ) also known as 'Verblifa', which was taken over by US based Continental Can Company Inc. in 1970.

Ok, back to the busses. :mixedsmi:

Cheers,
Jan

Wing_Z
November 24th, 2009, 11:50
Well according to Christe's Auction House, that's a US$500 biscuit tin. (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=4&intObjectID=513778&sid=)
Thanks for the pic, looks in good shape, too!
I guess it would only be brought out for highdays & holidays?

Now I'll let you get back to the buses...;)

Javis
November 24th, 2009, 18:54
Well according to Christe's Auction House, that's a US$500 biscuit tin. (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=4&intObjectID=513778&sid=)

Wow! That's an interesting find ! Thanks, mate ! :ernae:

Thanks for the pic, looks in good shape, too!I just realized it's not far from being half a century old...:)

I guess it would only be brought out for highdays & holidays?All i can remember is that it has always been 'part of the furniture' , sitting on top of a cabinet, first at my parents and now, for some ten years already at my brothers.

Now I'll let you get back to the buses...;)Yes, better get going, me passengers getting a bit like :violent: ... hehe..

Cheerio!
Jan