PDA

View Full Version : Airplane designed by an architect?

Wing Nut
November 19th, 2009, 16:34
Here's architect mentality at it's finest.

Lionheart
November 19th, 2009, 16:50
Looks to me like Rolls Royce is entering their newest design for the Reno Air Races..

:d

paiken
November 19th, 2009, 18:26
One heck of a thrust to weight ratio there :icon_lol:. New supersonic jet?

Tylerb59
November 19th, 2009, 18:51
Clever. :)

Wouldn't that be a Camel? Horse designed by a committee.

LouP
November 19th, 2009, 19:01
Must be pretty windy and noisy for the passengers :icon_lol:

LouP

kilo delta
November 20th, 2009, 01:42
Must be pretty windy and noisy for the passengers :icon_lol:

LouP

But at least they'll be kept warm! :icon_lol:

FelixFFDS
November 20th, 2009, 03:08
Obviously a modernized copy of a (what else) French design...

Bleriot 125 video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHKf_R3Vuw)

Bleriot125 photo (http://13.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqwwgyCnmy1qzp3pqo1_400.jpg)

Paul K
November 20th, 2009, 03:17
Its an amusing picture, and very well done, but I don't understand the reference to architect or an architect's mentality.

Perhaps its an American thing. Can someone enlighten me ?

Lewis-A2A
November 20th, 2009, 03:21
Its an amusing picture, and very well done, but I don't understand the reference to architect or an architect's mentality.

^^ what he said :confused:

Bjoern
November 20th, 2009, 05:35
The day krétins like Colani start designing aircraft is the day I will pluck out my eyes. :kilroy:

Lionheart
November 20th, 2009, 06:54
Start plucking....

He's been designing them for ions now.. (as you surely know, living in Germany).

:d

LouP
November 20th, 2009, 08:02
ooo, actually, I like that ;) :wavey:

LouP

JohnC
November 20th, 2009, 08:28
So would this be an airplane designed by an architect, or a house designed by an aerospace engineer?

Bjoern
November 20th, 2009, 08:31
He's been designing them for ions now.. (as you surely know, living in Germany).

Totally forgot that. Forgive me, I was still suffering from a major hangover a few hours ago. (The benefit of a fairly good schedule - start partying when everyone else is still working.)

Anyways, I regret having bought a new pack of contacts today. What a waste of money...

*Pluck*
*Pluck*

CBris
November 20th, 2009, 08:37
OK, I know - It's already been posted moments back

SpaceWeevil
November 20th, 2009, 08:44

It's not just an American thing! We have a certain Prince here who bangs on about it all the time - basically he rails against some modern architects' tendency to put styling and 'design' before aesthetics and practicality. They inflict such carbuncles on other people and then go and live in a nice Georgian house.

Wing Nut
November 20th, 2009, 10:31
Firstly let me apologize to any CAPABLE architects out there if I have
misrepresented them.

Actually SpaceWeevil pretty much got it right. Having been a carpenter, trim carpenter, and cabinet maker for many years, I've seen architects make some pretty rediculous blunders. Many of them lack ANY practical experience in the field. It's as if they take a handful of design components, throw them up in the air like so many dice, and see how they fall. For example on one job an exterior stairway was added to an existing building. Guess what ... the stairway blocked the opening of windows. Uh oh! I wont go on.

So the original reason for posting this picture was to show what can be done in Photo Shop. The detail is amazing. Look at the reflections in the "cabin nacelles". I'm sure all you talented painters out there can appreciate some nice work.

FelixFFDS and JohnC, thanks for your great entries. It looks like the Bleriot must have been an inspiration.

PRB
November 20th, 2009, 18:48
<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> </style> Well, “design”, when used in the phrase “engineering design”, is a good thing, whether talking about buildings or airplanes. “Design”, when used in the phrase “designer jeans”, is less about design, perhaps, and more about current fad and whim, which is silly, especially in airplanes. Until kind of recently, the shape of airplanes was driven only by it's engineering design, meaning its form followed its function, which is why there was (was) no such thing as an ugly airplane. Every line, every curve, everything about the look of a plane was a result of an engineering decision to make the plane perform its intended role better. “Architectural design” seems more about whim and fad than actual design, which is why you get really “stylish” buildings with stairways that block windows from opening (doh!!). Beauty in design occurs when the thing designed does it's job with great efficiency and purpose. When you try to “impose” beauty on a design by adding what you think is cool and stylish, you get an ugly example of whatever is being “designed”. That's why the ocean liners of the 1920s were beautiful ships, and the Mickey Mouse cruise ships of today are abominations and gigantic tributes to horrific ugliness. This sort of thing is starting to creep into the “design” of airplanes in recent years. Civilian ones, of course, not military ones. :mixedsmi:

Bjoern
November 22nd, 2009, 11:16
Civilian ones, of course, not military ones. :mixedsmi:

F-35...*Barf*

bkeske
November 22nd, 2009, 12:53
Firstly let me apologize to any CAPABLE architects out there if I have
misrepresented them.

Well, as an architectural designer, that has many years of design/build experiance, I accept your apology. :icon_lol:

I get along great with my sub-trades, (including carpenters), as I am very practical in my solutions, layouts, etc. We are cooperative in our projects and treat each other with respect....even when the carpenters get it completely wrong :bump:

(But, I agree with your general view, some Architects don't seem to have a clue of how things actually go together. Believe me, after 30+ years in this profession, I have seen some really stupid mistakes by those who are suppose to know better....and get paid to 'figger' this stuff out).