PDA

View Full Version : Out on my back...FSX heals all

limjack
November 19th, 2009, 08:53
Oct 31( first day of my vacation) I bent down to pick up my 3 lbs dog and twisted just a bit and Twang! Somthing poped in my back. According to the MRI I lost my goo or jelly filling on the L3 disk. As a bonus it pinched a nerve or is still pinching sending pain down my left leg. What suck is I can only sit for less than a half hour before pain becomes too much and must lay on back to relieve pain. Out of work until 01/01/2010. So its nice to have a hobby like FSX to help pass the time and keep my brain working.

I Have bought the PMDG 747 and printed off all the manuals and reading ( good stuff when you on your back). When I am rested I go to the computer and practice what I have learned from the manual until the pain is too great then back to reading on my back. Currently I am reading about the FMC and how to navigate through it. This should keep me busy for a while. It sucks to injure your back but nice to have a hobby like FS to stimulate the mind!

Out of order, busted, broken, malfunctioned and home for the Holdiays!

Jim

Mr.Mugel
November 19th, 2009, 10:32
Yeah, it is quite good for relaxing a bit, getting the mind free in the virtual clouds!

I hope you get well as soon as possible!

IanP
November 19th, 2009, 11:08
Ow...

My back problem is different, in that it's a muscular spasm problem caused by a training injury when I was briefly in a green skin. However, that not being able to move because of the pain thing? I can relate rather too well.

Thankfully, one of the few things I can do is sit immobile for periods of time, once I have found a "sweet spot" position which doesn't make it any worse (easier said than done). Having found said position, watching a Navigation Display slowly tick past waypoints is far preferable to wondering how to seal that flipping crack in the ceiling of our bedroom.

paiken
November 19th, 2009, 11:16
Sciatica (that pinched nerve) is no joy. I had a bout of it six years ago. Fortunately, no serious damage to disks, just some compression. Took about a year of physical therapy and chiropractic sessions to make it bearable again. Follow your doc's advice, and try to stay away from cortisone shots. They help short term, but in the long run can cause some pretty serious damage. Good luck!

Chacha
November 19th, 2009, 12:31
Oct 31( first day of my vacation) I bent down to pick up my 3 lbs dog and twisted just a bit and Twang! Somthing poped in my back. According to the MRI I lost my goo or jelly filling on the L3 disk. As a bonus it pinched a nerve or is still pinching sending pain down my left leg. What suck is I can only sit for less than a half hour before pain becomes too much and must lay on back to relieve pain. Out of work until 01/01/2010. So its nice to have a hobby like FSX to help pass the time and keep my brain working.

I Have bought the PMDG 747 and printed off all the manuals and reading ( good stuff when you on your back). When I am rested I go to the computer and practice what I have learned from the manual until the pain is too great then back to reading on my back. Currently I am reading about the FMC and how to navigate through it. This should keep me busy for a while. It sucks to injure your back but nice to have a hobby like FS to stimulate the mind!

Out of order, busted, broken, malfunctioned and home for the Holdiays!

Jim

Jim, You are too young to have that problem... Consult your chiropractor, man, maybe he can twist you around and fix the pain. You don't want that disk to stay without lubricants, maybe the chiropractor can suggest how you can have the jell back, And maybe suggest some pointers on your bone density and what not. My girlfriend is 43 and her bone age is 81. Her fingers are all crooked due to rheumatism (?). Hope you can find a fix on that back.

Enjoy your vacation though...

kilo delta
November 19th, 2009, 12:37
I can empathise with you,Jim. I bust 3 discs in my neck back in May '08 with one needing to be replaced by a prosthesis. Unfortunately while the operation alleviated the pins and needles sensations down my arms....it hasn't helped with pain (I'm currently taking 600mg of Lyrica a day). I've begun a course of physiotherapy recently so hopefully that'll be of benefit.
On the upside I too threw myself into PC gaming..... Far Cry 2 takes on a whole new dimension when you're playing it whilst off your head on prescribed medication!:icon_lol:

Keep the spirits up and enjoy your extra leisure time....I hope you'll be fit and well soon.:ernae:

Dexdoggy
November 19th, 2009, 12:48
Hope you get better soon Jim, what a pain in the .... back!
Have something similar, and it will go doing something real minor, never when I'm lifting heavy stuff!
Thank goodness for our PC Friend! :wiggle:

limjack
November 19th, 2009, 14:14
Thanks guys for the kind comments and advice. I am following the Doc's orders and I have got good looking Physical therapy gals to take care of me during the first part of this adventure. Will look to other means down the road if need but keep me away from the drugs! I hate them and there side affects. Any how thanks again...oops...time to go lay down again ...Hunny, where is the ice pack and the remote control? lol.

Jim

peter12213
November 19th, 2009, 15:43
I've just done my left ankle in today and I'm in agony so I full sympathhise mate, get well soon!

limjack
November 19th, 2009, 16:21
I've just done my left ankle in today and I'm in agony so I full sympathhise mate, get well soon!

Peter, hope the ankle does not require anything more than a ice pack (and stay away from the rudder pedals) and you heal soon as well.

I am really looking forward to when the pain relieves in my left leg so I can sit here a bit and actully fly the 747 using the FMC. I tried the other night to begin entering info in the FMC but did not get far before pain overruled and I left the cockpit. Since I have no idea how to program the FMC:isadizzy:, each data point I have to research before entering data except for the easy inputs like location of aircraft and so forth. Thank God for youtube follow me along instructional videos to help with visuals.

Jim

heywooood
November 19th, 2009, 16:50
Jim - here's hoping you are up and around again asap - til then try to take 'er easy

limjack
November 19th, 2009, 18:13
Thanks Heywooood :ernae:, will do on the take 'er easy.

For those out there that are just learning the FMC or never used one and are curious about it, here is the youtube tutorial I am using at the moment to help me understand this beast. Its a lot of info but nicely done at least for me. It has 9 parts to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzG5IYgVFWo&feature=related

Jim

VCN-1
November 19th, 2009, 18:38
Jim

Wish you all the best and hope everything works out.

I have had 2 back blow outs which resulted in 2 surgeries. My left foot is partially numb, I get leg spasms all of the time and pain if I stand for any length of time. Concrete floors are killers. 15 minutes on them and I have to sit.

Be very careful. Don't aggravate the situation.

VCN-1

limjack
November 19th, 2009, 20:28
WoW, do I have a lot of company in pain.....mine sounds baby compared to a few of you. May we all heal quickly!!!!

IanP, yes...finding that sweet spot is hard to do but once you do you don't want to move for nothing, even if you have to go to the bathroom...lol.

Jim

jmig
November 20th, 2009, 03:45
Sorry to hear of your back problems. That has to suck. I think I would go nuts (well nuttier than I already am) if I had to spend the day on my back.

Here's to a quick and speedy recover. :icon29: