PDA

View Full Version : WIn7 64 bit

Chr1st0pher
November 19th, 2009, 01:59
Hi Guys

I have just bought a new system which came with Vista 64 bit and I have just upgraded to WIn7 64 bit.

While I can get the Microsoft FLt SIms to run, I cannot get IL-2 Stormovik to load! I know its an old game but, its a cracker. I can play it from the CD by going straight to the play icon, but, the loader is not compatible.

I have to two addon pack and can do nothing at all with them. The same applies to Heroes of the Pacific.

It seems that virtually all new PCs in the UK come with 64 bit as standard now yet the software houses are not willing it seems to provide a patch to enable older games to run on 64 bit. Even more annoying is that when I emailed a couple of software houses, they would not confirm compaibility on games they have not even released yet!

AM i missing something or are they burying their heads in the sand. Surely the first games house that provides full 64 bit compatibility will make a killing?

In the meantime any advice/help will be gratefully received.

Moparmike
November 19th, 2009, 19:12
I haven't tried loading any of the IL-2 series games on my new Win7 rig (Home Premium 64) so I can't be of much assistance.

By "loader" do you mean the installer program on the disk?

I did find this thread over on the Ubi forums with a quick Google search...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/1301002008
Try running the installer with "run as administrator".

stansdds
November 20th, 2009, 03:33
You might try running older sims and games in Windows XP compatibility mode.

Chr1st0pher
November 21st, 2009, 03:22
Thanks for the replies guys. I posted a similar thread in the IL-2 forum. Got a reply saying that the IL-2 1946 version runs fine in WIn 7.

However, I replied asking if that included the "64 bit" version and am waiting with fingers crossed for a reply.

I must say that when I ran the add on packs on my old system, I found the map to be terrible compared to the original. It seems unduly cluttered or fussy. I also found some of the missions impossible to survive, though that may well be down to my novice skills at combat flying.

The enemy AI wont let you retire from the battle like in the original, they always seem to follow you down and even if you crash on landing they still shoot you to bits, at least they do it to me!

I hope I can get the game running on the 64 bit rig as other than problems with older games I think the i7 920 running WIn 7 64 bit is fantastic. real quick and smooth as silk. Roll on the death of 32 bit.

Thanks again for the replies

Chris

hey_moe
December 3rd, 2009, 02:27
Have you tried installing it in the Admin mode, also click properties and change to XP mode. It will install fine...Mike

Jun aka Pekto
December 6th, 2009, 19:52
I have IL-2, Forgotten Battles, and Pacific Fighters.

Forgotten Battles and Pacific Fighters installed using XP compatibility mode on the setup.exe on both and another .exe file in Pacific Fighters.

While they seem to run ok in Win 7 64-bit, The patches won't install. It's a shame because the IJA Kawasaki Ki-100 is in one of the patches for Pacific Fighters.

I have no luck whatsoever installing the original IL-2 in Win 7.

It runs fine in XP Home under Sun's VirtualBox with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit as host:
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss176/JunakaPekto/VBnXPnIL-2800.jpg?t=1260161563

So far, only OpenGL games seem to run in VirtualBox. No luck with Direct 3D games.

Jun aka Pekto
December 6th, 2009, 20:03
When I first installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and followed by my games, Pacific Fighters was the only one I was able to install.

I waited a few days and tried installing Forgotten Battles again. This time it installed fine. My guess is Windows Update installed some fixes earlier. Hopefully, the patch issue can be fixed.